1st time going to South America

Jun 28th, 2008, 03:23 AM
Original Poster

1st time going to South America

Hello everyone,

We are looking at South America for our next cruise. I understand that the best time to go is Nov to March. Does anyone have any advice on the best cruise line and best trip?

We are more the adventurous type, wanting to get out and see the country and enjoy great food and great wine. Any advice?

Thanks in advance,
sabi

Jul 8th, 2008, 07:20 AM

Which ship is best depends, of course, on schedule and pricing, plus whether you want a larger ship (e.g., to minimize motion). I get seasick, so we chose the Star Princess to go from Buenos Aires to Valparaiso(Santiago), though there was another ship (NCL, I think), which took 2 extra days for the same routing, and was able to get into some tighter fjords, and cost a bit less. Starting next year, the Star Princess will start in Rio but visit B.A., making for a slightly longer (and pricier) cruise, with more days at sea (and skipping Porto Montt, Chile as a stop). I actually got off the ship the second day, in Montevideo, and re-boarded in Ushuaia, 5 days later, while my wife remained on board, so I could visit Perito Moreno Glacier and places around Ushuaia, in Argentina. If you really want adventure, you might look for the small (and very expensive) ships that go around Ushuaia-Punta Arenas, or perhaps the Galpagos. A large cruise ship will have some nice views, but you won't have much time at any of the ports of all.
Jul 17th, 2008, 05:00 AM

We did Celebrity from Buenos Aires to Santiago last mid February. The weather was fantastic. You could have as much or as little adventure as you wanted as the shore excursions were quite varied as as you wanted. WE loved this trip and spent an extra few days in Buenos Aires and Santiago at the begining and the end. We had the great food and wine. It is very affordable to tour there. Loved the trip as you can tell.
Oct 30th, 2008, 03:58 AM

Thinking of the same cruise for next year. Do you need sea sick pills or are the seas calm?
Oct 30th, 2008, 05:18 PM

I've been on the entire 60 day circumnavigation of South America, including going up the Amazon. Is this the same cruise you're considering? (you just say you're looking at South America so assuming you're talking about the circumnavigation)

South America is HUGE....Brazil alone is about the size of the 48 contiguous states so climates and topography is vastly varied. You'll have quite a few hot days (remember this is the Southern Hemisphere) but as you go around Cape Horn you'll have chilly weather. Lots of different clothing required but it was the BEST vacation in my life! I'd highly recommend it. I went in early January and returned in early March.

I don't want to give more suggestions until I know this is the same trip you're considering.
Dec 7th, 2008, 08:58 AM

My wife and I are US citizens and are going on vacation for about 3-weeks to South America. I just found out that when we visit Brazil we would need a visa. How can we get a visa. Also someoe said something about a yellow fever shot, do we need this.
Thanks for any information you can give me about this and travel in South America. Also do you have to exchange money in each country or can you use US money.

Thanks Tom, Cleveland, Ohio
Dec 7th, 2008, 10:45 AM

You have to apply at a Brazilian consulate to get the visa. As Canadians we had to send our passport along with the application form to the Consulate in Ottawa. The charge depends on the country of citizenship because of reciprocal agreements. I enclosed a prepaid FEDEX envelope and had everything back within 10 days. Kohanski The yellow fever shot is only required in the Amazon area. WE needed on for the Amazon cruise but didn't need it (although it was still in effect) for the cruise to Antarctica out of Rio. There is lots of information at cruisecritics.com regarding cruise lines and port info. You should definitely register there. WE were on Princess for one of the cruises and Holland America for the other. Both were excellent but I am a Holland America fan. Whatever you decide enjoy!!
Dec 7th, 2008, 01:57 PM

Thanks alot for this information. Until now I could not get information onte yellow fewer. We are not taking a curise, we are goin to Chille, Buenos Aires, then Rio DeJaneiro

Thanks Tom
Dec 8th, 2008, 06:55 AM

If you want a luxurious experience, Regent does a cruise around S. America. They use the Mariner for this cruise, which is all suites, all balconies, and all inclusive (tips, drinks, etc.). Of course, their prices are higher than the mass market lines. It is our favorite cruise line. Regent's S. American itinerary for 2010 will be out soon, and we hope to sign up for one or more segments.
Dec 9th, 2008, 02:09 AM

Just an update that our TA posted a preliminary schedule of Regentís Circle South America cruise segments for 2010 yesterday. One of the segments is an incredible 30-day cruise from Lima to Rio that includes several days around Antarctica. See http://www.bkrssc.com/2010_Schedule_...th_America.htm
Dec 12th, 2008, 05:57 AM

These are fantastic itineraries. Thanks for sharing..I think I'll jump on that.
Jan 6th, 2009, 01:52 AM

My wife and I were just on a Royal Caribbean ship that rounded cape horn this December 1. The weather in Ushuaia was in the 60s. Windy and cold around the horn, of course. After the cruise we stayed 4 days in Buenos Aires. It was in the upper 70s 3 days and in the 80s the other day. We then spent 3 days in the wine region of Mendoza. Gorgeous weather!! Beautiful country. All in the beginning of December.

As for the line, I'm partial to Royal because I just like their product for the price I keep getting so I keep buying it. I'd choose one with a stop in Punta Del Este Uruguay. GORGEOUS beaches. Nice calm "vibes" too. Very peaceful corner of the Earth.
Jan 6th, 2009, 03:58 AM

There is a good deal on Norwegian Sun for this route but I am worried about the +- 7 sea days. Did you find that to be a problem?
Jan 6th, 2009, 07:24 PM

WE JUST BOOKED A TRIP TO S. AMERICA. We are going on the classic smaller ship (670 passengers) from Manaus (ship stays overnight) to Ft. Lauderdale in Florida.. Since the Pacific Princess is small we are able to go into ports that most ships don"t.. I'm in the middle of booking my excursions and one excursion is a boat trip down the Amazon to see the waters and visit a villagem the ily pads and whatelse..In Dominica we will most probably do the aereal tram. If you need more info please write.. You might want to look up O.A.T.S. who has a much more strenuous trip for the Amazon, Peru, the falls, etc.
Jan 13th, 2009, 09:14 AM

We have booked a cruise leaving Feb. 13 from Santiago around the cape to Buenos Aires. Glad to hear that the weather might be not as bad as I have heard around the Cape. My husband read that we do not need a VISA. Does anyone have any updated info on this?
Jan 19th, 2009, 12:36 PM

I just got an offer from cruisecritic.com for the Norwegian Sun 14 day around the horn for $449 USD per person. Wow.