Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Cruises (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/)
-   -   1st time cruise, couple questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/cruises/1st-time-cruise-couple-questions-589073/)

turbulentxs Feb 7th, 2006 01:31 PM

1st time cruise, couple questions

Hi there,

I am going on a Mediterranean cruise with my family in June. It’ll be my 1st time on a cruise. I have my all-purpose guide but I was hoping for some first-person recommendations on things to see that are off the beaten path. We will be going to Dubrovnik, Ephesus, Rome, and Venice. There are also numerous port stops in Greece.

Also, since most of my downtime will be on the boat, I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with making phone calls while on a ship. Is there a cheap but decent service? Should I use instant message? It’s pointless to keep my phone on, right? Thank you for your input!

Theresa Feb 7th, 2006 02:09 PM

Ship phone calls are very expensive - about $7 - $15 minute depending on the cruise line. Email runs from .35 - $1.00/minute depending on cruise line.

Only some lines allow you to bring your own laptop and use their network and there is a cost for that if you want wireless. Speeds vary - anything from pretty quick to unbearable slow. Most lines have computers that you can use but they are very restricted in what you can do with them (pretty much surf the web/web mail and that is it) and you still pay to use their computers.

If you list the ship/cruise line - someone can probably give you more information.

abram Feb 7th, 2006 02:29 PM

These aren't off the beaten path, but are things we enjoyed:
Dubrovnik: walk the city walls with the audioguide
Venice: Ghetto tour, Doge's Palace Secret Initerart tour, San Marco, wander the neighborhoods.
If you lits you greek ports, you may get more help.

luv2fly Feb 8th, 2006 03:15 PM

Last month I called NYC from the ship off the coast of Manzanillo, Mexico. Spoke for a few minutes and it was only $7.00.

I was expecting a much higher cost.
Was surprised it was so inexpensive.

mrsfineman Feb 8th, 2006 05:20 PM

This sounds like the Princess Cruise some friends took a couple years ago. Would you mind telling us which cruiseline you'll be on?

For the phone thing: It is rather pricey to make calls while onboard. If you must make calls, use a phone card (our home service, Onesuite, offers them) when you on land. And that's only for things that can't wait. Otherwise, I'm sure your friends would appreciate it more if they received postcards from the different places you'll see.

For off-the-beaten-path things, unfortunately for you, nothing in any of the major cities will really be unpopulated at the time of the year you're visiting. In Rome, we enjoyed the Catacombs of St. Priscilla. It's near the Villa Borghese, a lovely park that houses a very important art gallery.

In Venice, I second the Itinerari Segreti (Secret Itineraries) tour in San Marco. Also, though it may get more crowded in the summer, I loved the little island of Torcello. It has what is supposed to be the first cathedral built in the city, which has a bell tower with a great view.

I was in Dubrovnik just once a long time ago, but just taking a walking tour of it might be for you.