Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Your top 4 restaurants for an amazing dinner in Anguilla (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/your-top-4-restaurants-for-an-amazing-dinner-in-anguilla-674674/)

emcash Jan 29th, 2007 04:00 AM

Your top 4 restaurants for an amazing dinner in Anguilla

I know Anguilla/restaurant questions are asked all the time, but my DH and I are real foodies and I want to make his 40th very special with an amazing dinner each night. Dinners out are our hobbies-- the dinner is the event for the night. So, I am curious as to what your top 4 favorites restaurants are for a great dinner and dinner experience in Anguilla.

Also, suggestions for lunch that need not be "events" (but still good food) are also welcome! THANKS!

Lizzie518 Jan 29th, 2007 05:01 AM

I would have to say that Hibernia is a very special place. It is quite a ways from most everything, but the food was just phenomenal and should not be missed for "foodies". We celebrated my husband's birthday dinner there. We also just loved Altamer.....we went there twice. A few places were still closed for the season when we were last there, so we didn't get to try some of the tried and true, but those are my two top choices.

Others to consider: The Cedar Grove Restaurant had great food. My husband and I were most pleasantly surprised by the quality of service and food. The atmosphere is dressed down and would be great for a casual choice where the food is still top notch. Mangoes was also very good and we would go there again. There are so many choices, you really can't go wrong. CuisanArt also offers a stadium cooking experience with or without wine pairings, and they give you all the recipes to take home.

Many people rave about Straw Hat, but my husband and I were disappointed. The atmosphere was lovely, but the food did not live up to the hype for us.

Enjoy and Bon Appetit.

ALR Jan 29th, 2007 05:21 AM

Altamer has a great Kitchen Table dinner, which is probably our favorite meal on the island. Ahead of time you give the chef a list of any allergies or dislikes and he surprises you with a wonderful dinner. You sit at the table for up to six people in the kitchen and each line chef serves you his dish. It's a lot of food, but definately a Foodie Experience. Check their schedule for live music to choose something that fits your preference.
We'd like to try the Wine Tasting Dinners at Cap Juluca, as we've heard great things about them. If schedules don't coincide, I'd try having dinner in their private wine room at Pimm's or have them set up dinner on the beach. Any of those would be special. Pimm's is also a romantic setting.
Zurra, the new Blachard restaurant at the Golf Course is a beautiful place. If you're curious about this new project, the restaurant is open for breakfast, lunch, or dinner. The original Blanchard is open and is also a good choice. They offer a Caribbean Sampler and a Cracked Coconut dessert that's an attraction.
Not fancy, but Picante has great food and drinks. It's casual, so if you want a break from the fancy restaurants, this is a good choice.
For lunch, Trattoria Tramonto is a favorite. Also Malliouhana's main dining room. The view is breathtaking.

HowardC Jan 29th, 2007 05:23 AM

Zurra (Blanchards new restaurant) at The St Regis Golf Club
Blanchards restaurant on Meads Bay
Trattoria Tratmonto at Shoal Bay west
Barrel Stay in Sandy Ground
Altamer restaurant

For lunch--Cote Mer in Island Harbour
Hibernia in Island Harbour
Ku' at Shoal Bay Beach east
Scilly Cay on Sunday--Have the lobster/crayfish combo. Killer rum punches. Expensive but worth it. The Happy Hits play all afternoon.
Trattoria Tratmonto is excellent for lunch and you can use the lounges and umbrellas if you eat there
Bananas by the Sea at Meads Bay.

Try The Overlook for a late breakfast Lobster eggs benedict are very good.

Check out the restaurant section on www.anguillaforum.com

Travcarib Jan 31st, 2007 04:30 PM

We really loved:

Blanchards
Santorini (CuisinArt)
Pimms (Cap Juluca)

dale88 Feb 7th, 2007 04:22 PM

I would try Tasty's for a local, and really authentic, great flavor. Everything is fresh and delicious! It may be roadside and no frills, but you forget once your inside. They have a really nice wine list and terrific seafood salads and homemade desserts.

ctkathy Feb 19th, 2007 12:42 PM

A new restaurant, Veya, in the Sandy Ground area is superb. Veya has only been open a few weeks, but the restaurant is physically gorgeous and the food is outstanding. Wine list is wonderful and fairly priced. I believe their menu is on line, then they do have wonderful specials. This was the only fish I had last week that wasn't overcooked and we ate in all upscale restaurants. I'd put it on the top of the list.

sberk Feb 19th, 2007 02:03 PM

Our favorite dinner in Anguilla was at E's Oven. E's isn't fancy, but we thought the food was better than any of the fancy restaurants we ate in. If you are doing 'fancy' the other nights, this might be a nice change of pace.

We eagerly looked forward to Hibernia and were very disappointed. We just didn't think the food was very good. Many people disagree with us, so perhaps we just had an off night.

Agree with Trattoria T. as a very nice lunch.

Robert59 Feb 20th, 2007 12:03 PM

Rgardless of what restaurants you munch at, if you're going to Anguilla in March, hit Bankie Banx's Dune Preserve on March 24th. Jimmy Buffett is putting on a special show and all the proceeds will go to Anguilla charities. He hosts even greater concerts at lower latitudes.

bajangirl Feb 20th, 2007 04:44 PM

Cannot believe no one has mentioned Johnnos on the beach in Sandy Ground for lunch on a Sunday - best lobster salad on the planet and great jazz. I would definitely second Tastys.

HowardC Feb 21st, 2007 08:03 AM

Forgot to mention Koal Keel in the Valley. Wonderful dining experience in a lovely atmosphere. Ask to tour the wine cellar and do the after dinner rum tasting.