Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Your thoughts on Martinique? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/your-thoughts-on-martinique-660393/)

greenie Nov 23rd, 2006 02:18 AM

Your thoughts on Martinique?

Delta is flying direct flights from Atlanta, and I was wondering if anyone has any recent info on accomodations, rental cars, etc.?

TIA

Greenie

StanKase Nov 23rd, 2006 04:24 PM

We found Martinique as well as Guadelope locals to by less friendly to American tourists than French or some of the other European tourists in our visits 5 and 6 years ago. St. Lucia, Barbados may have non-stop flights and they are as or more lush with pleasant locals, for the most part. Attitudes may have changed but it takes years to change attitudes one way or the other.

greenie Nov 24th, 2006 12:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I am hoping to find the unspoiled caribbean in this location. So many of the islands are losing that to commercialization and heavy tourism.

Peace, Greenie

xkenx Nov 24th, 2006 05:20 AM

Grenada is mostly unspoiled. Very lush, green, very tropical in feel. By law, no building can be taller than a palm tree.

StanKase Nov 24th, 2006 09:23 AM

Greenie; I would agree Granada is another option and is lush, good snorkeling and was NOT as commercialized as St. Lucia or Barbados. It also has very good snorkeling compared to St. Lucia and Barbados that I mentioned earlier.

Odin Nov 24th, 2006 02:43 PM

Martinique and Guadeloupe are our favorite Caribbean islands (of the ones we have visited). Guadeloupe doesn't have many big resort type hotels. We stayed in a bungalow, rented a car, regret not visiting some of the smaller island like Marie Galante, Les Saintes.
Martinique was a bit more developed, the standard of living good. Scenery reminded us of St Lucia. Locals were OK mostly, very easy to get around.

greenie Nov 26th, 2006 01:59 PM

Thank you everyone for the excellent recommendations. I am considering Grenada as a second choice. I liked the idea of the direct flight to martinique, but am aprehensive about the french language barrier.

Do you think that speaking french is a prerequisite to a good time on martinique? TIA

Peace, Greenie

StanKase Nov 26th, 2006 04:00 PM

greenie: If you going to a resort and the major sightseeing on Martinque the language will not be a problem.
If you can deal with the attitude of indeifference we experienced 9-10 years ago and a bit of "they are doing you a favor" we encountered 3-4 yrs. ago then you will have a good time. The natural beauty is not quite St. Lucia or others mentioned earlier but it is a very tropical island, not a sand bar like Aruba, Grand Cayman or Cancun. If snorkeling is on your agenda go to Grenada, if not you'll have a good time. I'm just sharing our 2 experiences and those of 2 couples who visited the island in 2004.

Joelle Nov 27th, 2006 04:58 AM

Martinique is a rather beautiful island, not too tourism-oriented.
The major hotels will have English-speaking staff, but a relative knowledge of French will be helpful.

xkenx Nov 27th, 2006 05:52 AM

A little bit of French can be important. Anything to be able to communicate a little. As in France, people in Martinique will be friendly and helpful if they know you're at least trying in their language. At that point many will switch to English to help you. Martinique is a beautiful and interesting island.