Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Your opinions: Abaco, Bahamas (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/your-opinions-abaco-bahamas-17140/)

Tres Sep 12th, 1997 11:06 AM

Your opinions: Abaco, Bahamas

Considering 1st time trip to Caribbean in January 1998. We want to rent a house or villa. Abaco sounds appealing since we like quiet, privacy, not a lot of tourists, and a relaxed atmosphere. Opinions, experience with accomodations, etc. welcomed.

Jill Sep 14th, 1997 04:19 AM

We were in the Abacos 5 yrs ago, stayed on Great Guana Cay, (90 residents!). Don't forget, though, that the Bahamas are not part of the Caribbean, and the weather there is more similar to Florida's than the islands. We were there at the end of April, and several days the temp. only managed high 60's to low 70's, though we had warmer days too. This may or may not be usual, but it did happen....you would not find that in the islands. We enjoyed our time there, but as we go mainly to swim and snorkel, prefer to guarantee the temperatures. We too enjoy peace and quiet, and have very much enjoyed Anguilla for the past three years. Glorious beaches, superb snorkelling, friendly, safe and quiet. If you would like more, please feel free to email me. Jill.

Bob Morton Oct 28th, 1997 02:23 PM

Wow, I never thought I's hear the word abaco again. I spent several summers there with my wife and daughter, when she was younger(she's now 23 yrs old). I helped save some indigenous parrots in the center of teh island. We stayed at the Conch Inn Marina and loved it.It's definately laid back. A ferry took us to Great Guana Cay(pronounced "key"), and I thought I ventured into another world of solitude. We rented a Boston Whaler on the Main island(Abaco) and returned. It was desolate, peaceful, and beautiful. So, I agree with the other writer/responder to your message. No cars, only small coral/cement trails for golf carts to wheel around in. Much lucious caribbean scrub and jungle-like atmosphere, and many deserted beaches to snorkel in. I returned to abaco and great guana cay 5 times since then. Email me if you want more info, on both guana cay and abaco.

Kristie Spurlock Oct 30th, 1997 11:35 AM

My father's friends have left their 50' sport fisher in Treasure Cay for the spring and summer for the past few years. They all fly over for long weekends and holidays and I've been lucky enough to go twice.

Treasure Cay is the kind of place that you don't want to tell anyone about because it's so wonderful, you want to save it for yourself. If you want a quiet vacation with out a lot of tourists, Abaco is quaint, but great. The marina where we stayed does have some very reasonably priced condos, a restaurant, and pool and a bar. It is across the road from one of the top ten most beautiful, unspoiled beaches in the world (THE most beautiful in my book!). There is a beach side bar that offers all you can eat and drink all day long for $35. Maybe bar is an overstatement. Think of a couple of guys, some liquor and a grill, but they sure can mix a drink! Try their conch burgers or lobster. Make sure you make it to Touch of Class (one of the the couple of restaurants) and try their conch fritters and turtle.

The fishing is excellent! I didn't get to go when I was over in July, but my dad says they had a great spring. Three years ago when I was there we easily ran up a school of dolphin (mahi mahi, not flipper). The diving and snorkeling is wonderful off of Guana. You can easily catch a snorkeling trip from the Marina, snorkle all morning and be back in time to get your $35 worth at the beach. I would advise reserving a boat at the time you book your trip if you decide to take an unguided trip because they book up fast.

We stopped over in Guana after our last snorkeling trip at the sweetest little hotel called Guana Beach resort. Again, resort is an overstatement, but it was very neat from the outside.

If you aren't expecting a hopping night life or fancy restaurants, but you love the Carribean, beaches, fishing and diving, you'll LOVE Treasure Cay!

Treasure Cay Service's number is 305-525-7711 or 800-327-1584. But if you have anymore questions, feel free to e mail me! Beware. If you go and you love it as much as I do, you'll want to keep it a secret, too!

Dennis Fitzpatrick Oct 31st, 1997 06:02 AM

Sounds like the diving is great around Treasure Cay. How is the resort? My wife and I are going for the first time and palnning on staying in a condo there. Can anybody comment on Green Turtle Cay? Any tennis or golf? Thanks.

Warren Faure Oct 31st, 1997 04:24 PM

My wife and I are leaving tomorrow for Green Turtle Cay (staying at the Bluff House Club) so I can provide comments in about one week when we return. I know the Club has tennis courts but there is no golf course on Green Turtle Cay (there is only one course in the Abacos, Marsh Harbor?). We are going for a quiet time in a beautiful environment, with access to excellent snorkeling and diving nearby.

Heather Nov 2nd, 1997 06:45 AM

I am a Bahamian who grew up in Nassau and has travelled all over the world. But I think Abaco is one of the best places I've ever been. We have amazing water in Nassau, but Abaco is even better. I go about 4-5 times a year. Marsh Harbour is the largest settlement on the island so has more restaurants, bars etc... but it's still island living. I recommend Conch Inn or Abaco Great Abaco Beach Resort & Marina. From Marsh Harbour you can get ferries several times a day to Hope Town (which is my all time favourite place), Man-o-War(which is famous for it's boat building but no legally sold alcohol) and Guana Cay (one of the most beautiful beaches in the world and an amazing beach bar called Nippers - you won't believe it 'til you see it). You definitely need to rent a boat. If you stay in Marsh Harbour rent from Rich's Rentals and ask for Troy Cornea. He's my cousin. I always stay on Hope Town which is the settlement on the island of Elbow Cay. It is about a 20 minute ferry ride from Marsh Harbour. It has a world famous lighthouse and no cars. You rent golf carts or bicycles. It is heaven here on earth. There are 2 major restaurants - Captain Jacks and Harbour's Edge. You can stay at the Hope Town Lodge which is about $150/night but I would advise you rent a place. Call Tanny Key at 242-366-0053 and tell her Heather Carey in Nassau recommended her. She is one of the two people on the island that handle all of the rentals. A beautiful cottage to ask for is Little Hope. About $900/week and can sleep 6 people. It is beautiful but not on the water. It is one of the most popular, though. Another great one is Harbour Villa which is a quaint pink and white cottage, sleeps 4, right on the harbour, or Crow's Nest which is next door (sleeps 4-6 I think). They're all around the same price. I'm not familiar with specific houses on the beach side as I think the harbour side is prettier for scenery, sunsets, etc.. It only takes 2 minutes at most to walk to the beach. But anywhere you stay is great. If you stay on Hope Town you should rent from Dave's. Tanny can set you up. Treasure Cay, which has its own airport north of Marsh Harbour does have one of the most beautiful beaches in the world, but I think it's pretty quiet. I am not a lover of it. Green Turtle Cay is a very populated cay and very pretty, whereas Guana Cay is very unpopulated and basic. But wow the beach. There's really only 2 places to eat as well. But, wow, the beach! You can easily go there by boat from Hope Town, though. I am going on and on. You can tell I love the place! Everyone there are boating people and so it's a great atmosphere. Spring time is the beginning of their busy season through to August, and also over Christmas. And it's never really very cold in the Bahamas. If you want anymore info, let me know, or I'm never going to stop! Good look.

Robert Morton Nov 2nd, 1997 07:49 AM

Heather: Your message on 11/02/97 rekindled a need to visit Abaco again. could you tell me something??I helped a ladywhich the Abaconians called the "Parrot Lady". She was trying to save the Abaco parrot from extinction. It was a unusual parrot which nested underground on Abaco's vast coral rock foundation, in the large pine forests. We trapped feral cats which were killing off the parrot population. Do you know of what happened to the Abaco Parrot? Also, I heard the new Bahamian Prime Minister, who replaced Pindling, was planning on donating 20,000 acres in the center of Abaco, for a Parrot Sanctuary. Do you know if this has happened yet?? I've been to Abaco with my wife 5-6 times since then, up to about 5 years ago. I've also heard that the Great Abaco Highway is now paved. Is this true? I would love to visit the parrots again in the remote inner Abaco forests. please let me know if there is a set aside nature preserve for the parrots, and if they have tours through it.
Lastly, you're right about Great Guana Cay. My wife and I rented a Boston Whaler from Rich's Rentals when we stayed at the Conch Inn. He swung around, picked my wife, daughter, and I up in his pickup truck and drove us the short drive to his marina. We took the whaler to the very north side of Great Guana Cay, and docked it. Sunbathing, hiking, snorkeling etc., all by ourselves on a remote beach with caribbean flowers and plants all over. Great time, thanks for rekindling the memories. If we go back, we'll say hi! to your cousin, Troy Cornea. Robert [email protected].

Kathy Nov 3rd, 1997 10:54 AM

We will be coming to Nassua on December 22, with the carvinal cruise line. We do not no what to expect, weater, sites etc. Help, we do not want to get in a tourist trap. We would like to see the area.

Robert Morton Nov 3rd, 1997 02:02 PM

Kathie: you're pretty far from Abaco if your going to Nassau on Providence Island. At any rate, take a trip to Potter's Cay, underneath the Paradise Island Bridge. It's worth visiting-all the islanders and mailboats from the outer islands bring in their harvest of shark, land crabs(the islanders raise them in backyards, feed them coconuts and ship them to Potter's Cay from all the out islands in big wire cages), conch, grouper, etc. The horse and buggy rides are nice to go on, because the drivers know the building history, and many of Nassau's buildings are painted in West Indian colors and are historical landmarks. If you're staying for a while on your cruise ship, do two more things: (1)Visit the old British Colonial Hotel and stroll through its 9 acres and beach. If you can(ask them) go swimming on their beach with snorkel and face mask and flippers(pack them or ask the Carnival lines for them). Then, snorkel the Hotel's beach, and explore the rock breakwall to the left. It's shallow water, so go around the wall, too. You'll see 20 varieties of beautiful reef fish there. (2) Time providing,rent a car for a half day and visit in bathing suits the public beaches inside and outside of nassau. Their still beautiful. Of course, the straw market is on the agenda, I'm sure. have fun. E-mail me if you want specifics on anything. Robert.

Dennis Fitzpatrick Nov 4th, 1997 06:51 AM

Heather, Your great! I am sure I'll enjoy Abacos as much as you. Does anybody know anything about the Banyan Beach Club in Treasure Cay? It has been recommended to us. How about boat rentals in Treaure Cay?

Warren Faure Nov 9th, 1997 08:25 AM

Dennis: We just returned last night from a week on Green Turtle Cay if you want any information about what that island offers. I think Treasure Cay is a good bet for what you want. I do know of one boat rental called C&J Boat Rentals (it's also a dive operation) on Treasure Cay because I called them for availability while we were at the Bluff House Club at Green Turtle Cay. I know there are other boat rental operations at Treasure Cay. Also, I understand the Treasure Cay Hotel - Resort and Marina has nearly 1200 acres of property and there is a beautiful beach at Treasure Cay. In retrospect, for a number of reasons we wish we had gone there instead of the Bluff House Club at Green Turtle Cay.

Mark Nov 27th, 1997 07:29 PM

Definitely go to the Abacos! Period. The people are great and friendly. Remote beaches are available. Have fun! Relax and take a good book.

Mark

Marianne McOmie Dec 19th, 1997 01:20 PM

We've been to the Abaco's several times and in fact discovered Hope Town because of the one of the Parrot Ladyies. I wonder if you are thinking of Dr. Rosemarie Gnam who studied the Abaco Parrot for several years. Jill Weech (who has since passed away) was a resident in Marsh Harbour and helped Rosemarie out quite a bit. We also did a little bit to help out Rosemarie's conservation efforts even if we had to do it "stateside". Rosemarie is still involved in conservation and preservation issues and would be thrilled to know that someone remembers her. There are really more than the two restaurants in Hope Town, not only is there Capt. Jack's and Harbours Edge, but you can catch a quick (fast food) lunch/dinner at Munchies. Go to the Hope Town Harbour Lodge and have conch fritters and a drink at their poolside bar if you don't feel like eating at the hotel proper. Call out to Rudy's and go there for dinner or Club Soleil across the harbour, and for Barefoot elegance the Abaco Inn has great food and transportation laid on. There may even be more that I don't know about. Have a great time. Marianne.

Robert Morton Dec 20th, 1997 07:06 AM

To: Marianne McCombie: Yes, Rose Marie Nahm was the "Parrot Lady", as the Abaconians called her. Did you Hear? The Abaco Parrot colony, due to the "parrot lady's" efforts, has been given a reprieve by the Bahamian Prime Minister. A 20,000 acre preserve has been set aside in the parrot's breeding area. I believe the manager(warden) of the preserve has been appointed. He owns a the marina on Man-of-War Cay, off of Marsh Harbor. I'm glad for the parrots, and, tours of the preserve are given. You may want to go on one. Have fun. Abaco forever! Robert(Bob) Morton: [email protected]

Robert Morton Dec 20th, 1997 07:08 AM

To: Marianne McCombie: Yes, Rose Marie Nahm was the "Parrot Lady", as the Abaconians called her. Did you Hear? The Abaco Parrot colony, due to the "parrot lady's" efforts, has been given a reprieve by the Bahamian Prime Minister. A 20,000 acre preserve has been set aside in the parrot's breeding area. I believe the manager(warden) of the preserve has been appointed. He owns a the marina on Man-of-War Cay, off of Marsh Harbor. I'm glad for the parrots, and, tours of the preserve are given. You may want to go on one. Have fun. Abaco forever! Robert(Bob) Morton: [email protected]

Janice Apr 29th, 2002 03:00 PM

Abaco is a wonderful out island and Green Turtle Cay is very beautiful. But my husband and I returned from our week long stay at The Bluff House very dissapointed. Accomodations were poor and very expensive. Food and services were adaquate but not worth the outrageous cost and extra charges. As we were required to book a minimum of 3 nights prior to our arrival we were stuck. If I could have transfered to the Green Turtle Club or back to Abaco I would have done so. The added dissapointment was that this resort was a Fodor's reccomendation! Will certainly look for other sources of info when planning our next vacation.