Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Your favorite Island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/your-favorite-island-667117/)

Dianaa Dec 30th, 2006 03:59 PM

Your favorite Island?

I want to surprise my husband with a week in the Caribbean for his 40th birthday this May. He adores great beaches and swimming, I love local cultural, food, and a little shopping doesn't hurt. Neither of us knows a thing about the Caribbean -- any advice would be greatly appreciated! Which island would you pick for our vacation?

GoTravel Dec 30th, 2006 04:32 PM

I think Anguilla has the best beaches.

xkenx Dec 30th, 2006 05:38 PM

I'd recommend Barbados for a good introduction to the Caribbean. It has at least some of everything the islands have to offer, except gambling and a volcano. Lovely people, pure water, lush green island, British-Afro-Caribbean culture, wide variety of hotels, beaches, history, culture, shopping, nightlife, restaurants.
See www.barbados.org

beachdreams3 Dec 30th, 2006 07:22 PM

I agree with the previous post about Barbados, and it was my choice for my first solo trip to the Caribbean. It seems like the combination that Barbados offers may be what you and your husband are seeking; however, if you prioritize some things higher than others (e.g., great beaches are more important than shopping), you might choose a different island based on these priorities.

I've heard that Anguilla has great beaches, beautiful water, and very good dining, but it does not have much shopping or local culture. It is an easy day trip from Anguilla to St. Martin, though, which has both French and Dutch culture and shopping.

I don't have any other recommendations given my personal experience and your preferences, but I would suggest that unless you go to an all-inclusive resort, it might be better to choose a more developed country and avoid places where you will have a language barrier.

VegasM Dec 30th, 2006 11:40 PM

<font color="navy"><b>Turks and Caicos for best <font color="red">beaches<font color="red">, snorkeling and food <font color="navy">(in my opinion)!!((k))</font></font></font></b></font>

DianaD Dec 31st, 2006 05:19 AM

Turks and Caicos . I feel is Americanized .
We are going to Barbados for the first time . My favorite Island for local flavor so far is Nevis . The Beaches are not as pretty but still nice . The water is warm .
The prettiest Island I have been to is Virgin Gorda .

girlonthego Dec 31st, 2006 06:22 AM

Bermuda is a beautiful island. It is pretty, has good food, has the british culture, it is easy to get to from the east coast, has nice beaches, good snorkeling, and in my opinion is quite safe.
Oh and it has a cute town for shopping.

Knowing Dec 31st, 2006 10:02 AM

I've come to certain conclusions. You aren't going to get everything exactly like you want on one island. One island that I could go to forever would be Nevis. Not great beaches, but good. What I wanted in local culture I found there, everything I wanted to eat, I found there. There wasn't a lot of shopping, however, I've become more passive about shopping in the Caribbean over the years anyway. If it counts, Bermuda is not in the Caribbean, but in May would have beautiful weather and lots of action with many things to do - and great beaches!

DianaD Dec 31st, 2006 01:30 PM

I agree Nevis is special . There is a villa there called the Secret Garden that is wonderful . For a classy resort Mt Peiler Plantation is great . If you are athletic you can climb up the Volcano .

Must have drinks at Sunshines .

I would love to retire there .

poss Jan 1st, 2007 06:18 AM

Jumping in here: Could folks who know Bermuda and the Caribbean well comment on how snorkeling compares in Bermuda? (Girlonthe go? others?) Also, where would one stay to have the best easy-of-access snorkeling in Bermuda? We've been going to the Caribbean for many decades, but I've avoided Bermuda because snorkeling is our main priority. Is Bermuda worth an exploe for us?
Thank you!

girlonthego Jan 1st, 2007 02:16 PM

Hi Poss,
Bermuda has some good snorkeling. I am not an expert though. You can rent a moped and travel around to the different beaches and snorkel.
We have stayed at the Reefs and Fairmont Southampton. Both are different and quite near each other. The Reefs is smaller and the Southampton has all the amenities(large resort).
I would love to try the Elbow Beach resort. I was on their beach once and it was very nice.
Church Bay, I think was the name of the place my husband went snorkeling one day and said it was awesome. It is not far from the Reefs hotel.
Bermuda is a very nice island and a great vacation. I thought the snorkeling was good, but like I said before, we are not experts at all. I know there are different beaches and snorkel spots in Bermuda. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will chime in.
I like to be able to walk in and snorkel vs. the boat to the snorkel spots. The big island of Hawaii was a great place to walk in and snorkel. We are going to Puerto Rico (which I know from the past is not the best in snorkeling) and the Grand Cayman this year. I hear they have fabulous snorkeling. :)
I was also in Aruba a couple of years ago and did not enjoy the offshore snorkeling there. It was more of just a beach and dining destination. I wouldn't recommend it as a snorkel desitination.

snorkelfamily Jan 1st, 2007 05:52 PM

to poss:
I have snorkeld Bermuda, St. Thomas, St. Martin, the Keys, T&amp;C and Brasil....I will say Bermuda has the best off the beach snorling in my opinion. Gorgeous turquoise waters and plenty of sea life...that was about 8 years ago, so I can't speak for now...
we are, too, planning a trip and our top priority if excellent off the beach snorling.
Good luck...oh, I cannot remember some of our fave spots in Bermuda. If I remember, I'll let you know.
Val

Knowing Jan 2nd, 2007 03:45 PM

Grotto Bay Beach Resort is nice and they have a complete Water Sports Center and Dive Shop.

skbfan Jan 2nd, 2007 04:11 PM

St. Kitts! and a day trip to Nevis.