Young Island or Petit St. Vincent?

Oct 31st, 2000, 01:12 PM
Cheryl

Young Island or Petit St. Vincent?

I'm thinking about my next vacation to the Caribbean and am intrigued by the idea of a private island resort. Can anyone provide input comparing Young Island Resort and Petit St. Vincent Resort? How are the beaches? I've heard PSV has nice beaches, but the coral is essentially dead, so that the snorkeling is not very good. How is the snorkeling on Young Island?

From their web sites, Young Island seems a bit more appealing, however there is not very much on the Fodors about it. How do the accomodations and food compare between the two? (Is there no air conditioning at either? Is this a problem? We would probably be going in April.) How is the service? Also, it seems relatively easy to go from Young Island to St. Vincent for activities if we are interested. Are we more "stuck" on PSV?

They both seem very beautiful and scenic. Would it be best to get a beachfront cottage or one on the hillside for the views?

Has anyone taken the sail-away option with their stay on Young Island where you spend 2-3 days sailing the coastline of St. Vincent and some of the Grenadines?

Oct 31st, 2000, 01:26 PM
penny

Have not been to either,but I read a lot about PSV,go to www.scubamom.com
She has maps,and room locations etc. Have fun -her web site is great. I learned about it from this forum. You might also want to do a search on past posts,there was alot of info on PSV,a few months ago.

Oct 31st, 2000, 03:44 PM
Louis

We were at PSV this August and we were at Young Island in 1991. It is hard to compare the two. PSV is for people that want isolation in a lovely location with the maximum amount of service. Young Island is more resort like with more activity, noise and people. It is a good headquarters from which to explore St. Vincent. It does not have any real beaches and PSV does. Snorkeling is better at PSV on the Atlantic side or out at the reef. I swam all the way around Young Island and there was not much to see. The food at PSV is somewhat better but we found nothing wrong with the food at Young where you have two restaurants. PSV has no A/C and I don't think Young does either. Since I am allergic to the mold from A/C, I don't even look for them. I require windows, screens and a ceiling fan. There is more trade wind at PSV than Young since it is in the lee of St. Vincent. To my tastes, I would not recommend the boat option at Young unless you like being in a very small sail boat in a choppy sea. To my tastes BVI is better for sailing. You can book a day trip up the coast to the waterfall on St. Vincent or you can sail out to Tobago Cay for snorkeling at PSV. Snorkeling there outside the reef is good. There is not much inside the reef. At PSV they will also take you out to the local reef and follow you by boat. The accomodations at PSV are superior but Young is comfortable. For us hillside is always desired both for breeze and views. I love the tropics so A/C has never been a requirement and it would cut out the sounds of nature and the sea. We like July and August to travel in the Caribbean since the water temperature is at its peak. However anytime is good. Things do cost less after April. We seldom have had weather problems. Yes it is easier to get to Young than PSV. From our view it is not worth the extra pain to go again to either from San Diego compared to places we like in the BVI. From the way you talk, you may want to consider a boat option at Biras Creek. Their boat is of reasonable size. http://www.biras.com

Nov 1st, 2000, 05:51 AM
Cheryl

Louis -- Thank you so much for your very informative response! You've answered many of my questions. I think I'm also going to look into the British Virgin Islands a bit more before deciding.

Cheryl

Nov 1st, 2000, 09:22 AM
olga

Hi,

I was just at Young Island in July, there is no TV, AC or much to do on the island itself, just rest and relaxation. The beach is very small and private, My husband and I enjoyed it as we love to have privacy and dislike crowds. The food has to be one of the best I have had. The people are friendly and warm. There are a lot of day trips that you can make arrangement thru the front office. The rooms were comfortabe an very cozy. Hill side is the best, and the outside garden shower was fantastic. This is not a place for partying just total relaxation, there is a club accross the water that you can go to on Friday and Saturday nights, you can hear the music as it bounces off the water so, you might as well join the fun as it can get a little loud. All in all it was very romantic and relaxing.

Jan 10th, 2001, 02:02 PM
Ann Marie

Hi! I've been to both -- Young's in Nov. of '99 and PSV in Nov. of '00. Which place is better is totally dependent upon what type of person you are. YI is a few hundred yards off the coast of St. Vincent, and this way you're able to go about St. Vincent if you choose, take tours, etc. There really isn't much in the way of snorkelng off of YI that I know about, although I didn't have much time to do that while I was there (Hurricane Lenny & ocean surges took care of that.) It is a "louder" place, but the food was delicious (they've got KILLER cinnamon bread) and everyone was very nice.

I have to admit, though, that I preferred PSV. It was an hour's plane ride from Barbados to Union Island and then a half hour boat ride to PSV. The food was excellent (I started eating steak because I had too much lobster), the cottages were nice -- but if you and your husband/boyfriend/significant other go, you MUST, MUST, MUST like each other. While we were there, there was a couple who couldn't stand being there and left -- it seemed they had "too much" of each other. It's a great place to reconnect. I'm a not very experienced snorkeler, and I did see dead coral, but I did see a lot of interesting aquatic life. The Tobago Cays are about a 1/2 to 1 hour boat ride away, and I've heard there's some good snorkeling there. It's a good place to relax, and the staff there are very kind and funny. We had a wonderful time and are planning a trip back.

If you have some specific questions, feel free to e-mail me -- I'll be happy to answer any question I can.