young honeymooners...where to go??

Dec 16th, 2001, 08:53 PM
Angie

young honeymooners...where to go??

My fiance and I are getting married on June 1, 2002, and we don't know where to go on our honeymoon. We will have about 7 days, and will be flying out of Chicago, probably to the Caribbean. Any suggestions??? (no cruises)

Here's what I can tell you about what we want:
First, my fiance swears the best beach in the world is the jersey shore (he has never been anywhere!) so I really want to show him beautiful beaches and scenery, great food, particularly sea food, and a spa of some sort. I'd like an island with flavor of its own (I have been to florida already). Sea sports aren't our thing, although I'd love to sightsee, maybe horseback ride. Mostly I just want to relax, take in the island, and come home tan. I had been looking at St. Lucia, but I heard too many bad things (I still want to go, but he isnt ready for that yet). We don't care too much for nightlife, and are looking for romantic settings. I am intrigued by all inclusives, but find sandals ads tacky...so - can you help?? As far as money goes, we should have around 3-4 thousand to spend.

And, where should we stay?? We want to have a beautiful view and be at a hotel or villa on the beach (with air conditioning preferably).

Thank you so much for any help!

angie

Dec 16th, 2001, 09:18 PM
angie

oops, a few more things to add..

no need for a full spa - I just know I will want a massage at some point.

I would love to stay somewhere more natural, like in little villa or something...gold and marble aren't our thing...but I don't want to have to kill my own food or go camping either. I also have heard of St. Peter's island, and tortola....any thoughts???

Dec 16th, 2001, 11:52 PM
gilbert

Hi Angie
if you want a real quiet island I can suggest to you St Bart
Good restaurants, beautifull beatches, free taxes etc...
If you want an adress for a romantic vacation, contact me directly
I know St Bart very well ans I have a good friend who live on the island since 10 years and he can help you and explain to you what to do on St Bart.

Dec 17th, 2001, 04:52 AM
susan

try zihuatanejo, mx. we went there for our honeymoon and stayed at Villa del Sol. also supposedly even better is Casa que Canta but it's not on the beach. The beach is really nice, the place is delux and they have a massage gal on the beach. we loved it!

Dec 17th, 2001, 06:26 AM
tivertonhouse

We have quite a few honeymooners who rent out two properties in Jamaica, one on the North coast, one on the south. Luxe and lush, the entire DRAMBUIE ESTATE, the old Winston Churchill property just outside Montego Bay and UNFORGETTABLE, with 2 private beaches in Fort Charles/Treasure Beach. See
jamaicaescapes.com. A full panoply of private island-wide guide services, sporting,touring and other options available as well to virtually anywhere or anything you fancy on island.

Dec 17th, 2001, 01:09 PM
jessica

hi angie
same delema. we are going on our honey moon first week in july 2002 boyfriend. is leaving the decision up to me. did u look into aruba i heard they have great beaches. i have gotten mixed reviews from St.lucia. Confused.

Dec 17th, 2001, 01:10 PM
Penney

St. Lucia is a nice choice - it is a very lush and green island but the main city is just that - a city. The dark sand beaches are a disappointment to some too.

The all-inclusives are nice in that you literally do not have a care in the world. There are tons of smaller all-inclusives that are slower pace and more laid back then the Sandals (which, depending on the Sandals resort, could really fit your bill - for example, Halycon or Ocho Rios).

You could check out a villa on the out islands of the Bahamas. The beaches are beautiful, there are tons of villas or smaller resorts that are very romantic, and just amazxing for a honeymoon. One place is Pink Sands. You can also look at www.vacationspot.com

Another spot could be St. Kitts - one of the msot beautiful islands we have ever been too.

Dec 17th, 2001, 04:14 PM
Beth2

Best Beaches? Anguilla leaps to my mind!

Dec 18th, 2001, 09:30 AM
paige

For a 1st time trip to the Caribbean, go to Turks & Caicos or Tortola- BVI. They are both very upscale, quiet, & beautiful. Resorts- look at Ocean Club West & Fort Recovery. Not all inclusive but they have everything you need. Of all the Islands I have been to in the Caribbean, TCI was the best. Go to Tortola for lush scenery, TCI for the water/snorkeling. You'll never go back to the Jersey Shore again!!

Dec 18th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Anon

I agree with the previous respondant--St. Bart's...hands down, no questions asked. You won't find a more beautiful romantic island (it's french). The summer is the perfect time to go pricewise because it is an expensive island. The prices severely drop in the summer and there are package deals to be had. All-inclusives don't exist there.

Dec 18th, 2001, 11:51 AM
joyce

I would check out Swept Away in Jamaica
www.couplesresorts.com

Also Aruba would be a great choice.
Gorgeous beaches, it is not 3rd world like much of the Caribbean, so would not be culture shock for you fiance.
Divi Aruba or Tamajrin are Modest Properties rooms are not fancy but beach great.
My first choice would be the Wyndham Aruba All-Inclusive.