Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Young Couple Looking for a beach/villa/nightlife (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/young-couple-looking-for-a-beach-villa-nightlife-968374/)

Cliff443 Feb 26th, 2013 11:46 AM

Young Couple Looking for a beach/villa/nightlife

Hey Guys,

Hope you can help me and my GF out. We are looking for a vacation in the Caribbean or Central America where we can chill at the beach and do daily activities. Spend some day trips on excursions, and then be able to find a good and safe nightlife. We are both in our early 30's with no kids and are looking for somewhere where we can stay in a villa type for 4-5 days something more localized. Then a resort and be pampered for a 1-2 days. Already been to Costa Rica, Aruba, DR, and Puerto Rico, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun, and Acapulco. I been looking at Jamaica, Belize, Panama, the US and British Isles... Just getting a bit overwhelmed on where to look..

Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,

-Cliff

dontcallmecass Feb 26th, 2013 01:03 PM

I would take a look at Aruba or Barbados. We are a group in our mid to late 20’s and had similar vacation requirements as you. We chose Barbados based upon those requirements. Aruba would have been fine as well, but we wanted an island with more of a Caribbean flair.

For Barbados, I would look at the St. Lawrence Gap area if you want to be close to nightlife. There are some pretty luxurious resorts in Barbados as well, but expect to pay top dollar.
You can find villas and vacation rentals (for any destination) at the following websites:

www.homeaway.com
www.vrbo.com
www.airbnb.com

www.homeaway.com
www.vrbo.com
www.airbnb.com

dontcallmecass Feb 26th, 2013 01:06 PM

Ooops! I see that you have already been to Aruba, sorry! Do look into Barbados though. Negril, Jamaica may also be an option.

virginia Feb 26th, 2013 01:38 PM

i too think barbados will be a good choice. most villas there come with staff & a better price by the week so maybe you can skip the resort move. are you going to rent a car? nicer beaches are closer to speightstown (gibbs, paynes, mullins, reeds)
friends stay at bougainvillearesort.com every year. it is very close to the gap.

another option would be a condo on seven mile beach on grand cayman. very safe island.

suze Feb 26th, 2013 02:55 PM

I love Negril but "villas" and "pampering" don't really come to mind.

KVR Feb 26th, 2013 06:49 PM

Jamaica also doesn't have much nightlife except what is provided at the resort. I agree with the recommendations of Barbados.

dontcallmecass Feb 26th, 2013 07:06 PM

There aren't any villas on the 7 mile beach in Negril but there are villas in the area. They are however, $$$. Friends stayed at one a few years ago and loved it. They had their own cooks/maids / private beach etc.

I think Barbados would be a better option though.

Jimmie Feb 27th, 2013 05:17 AM

Check out Tortola. Nice beaches, some beach bars/night life in the Cane Garden Bay area, good side trips to other islands and the Willy T.

Cliff443 Mar 1st, 2013 07:41 AM

What about Belize? Any of you guys been there?

Thanks for the responses everyone

danicapli Jun 12th, 2017 08:30 PM

Hey Clif,

I find myself in the same situation, I am looking for a place to go with my boyfriend where we can find many activities during the day, and if we feel like go out at night to a nice bar or to a club. I just don't like very touristic places with big hotels and all inclusive, I rather a more private place but where I can still find all type of activities. I've only been to Cancun, thus I would like to know if you could recommend me your favorite places where you've been! It would be of great help!

suze Jun 13th, 2017 08:49 AM

Hi danicapli~ This thread is over 4 years old. You might be more replies if you start a new thread of your own with your question.
That said, my suggestion of Negril Jamaica fits your request as well.
:-)