Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Young couple in Grand Cayman for long weekend - where to stay, what to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/young-couple-in-grand-cayman-for-long-weekend-where-to-stay-what-to-do-239785/)

Mary Jul 15th, 2002 11:48 AM

Young couple in Grand Cayman for long weekend - where to stay, what to do?

Any suggestions on where to stay for a long weekend in November? We are a young married couple, wanting to take advantage of our FF miles. Would like to find someplace reasonably-priced. Any thoughts on what the weather is like in November?

Vicki Jul 16th, 2002 10:53 AM

When you say "reasonably priced" what do you mean? If you give me a range (I live in Grand Cayman) I can give you some ideas and what you'll get for your money.<BR><BR>The weather is starting to get quite reasonable in November, especially near the middle to the end of the month. The heat isn't so bad, and the hurricane season is pretty much over.<BR><BR>For accommodation, give me an idea of what you're willing to spend, and I can give you some recommendations. At least you're still in low season at that time.

Mary Jul 16th, 2002 02:15 PM

I would like to get away with spending no more than $150 a night. Is this too low, do you think, to decent accomodations in Nov?<BR><BR>Thanks for your help!

Vicki Jul 17th, 2002 07:28 AM

I would suggest, for your price range, that you look into Treasure Island and Sunshine Suites. Treasure Island can sometimes be a bit of a crapshoot, so if you were calling to book with them, it would be best if you made them aware that you know not all the rooms are in tip-top condition, you're a married couple and you'd like a nice room. The hotel is quite large, has two restaurants on site (Seafood, sushi and Greek) a very large pool with a swim-up bar, and is on the "beach". I say "beach" because it's quite rocky there, but you don't have to walk far at all to find the soft stuff. Treasure Island, because it's an older hotel, is very reasonably priced for its location. It's central to everything. I called them just now - it's US$115.00 + 20% service charge and tax per night in November.<BR><BR>Sunshine Suites is a bit further up, but still in a very good spot, and is located on the other side of the road from the beach. It is a lovely property, only a couple of years old, and every room has a kitchenette area (fridge, microwave, sink) - great for saving money! There is nice landscaping around the buildings with a swimming pool, and just a quick step away is the Links Golf Course. Nice for walking...or golfing! I believe that the room price includes a percentage off the golf, free membership to World Gym for the length of your stay, and signing to your room any food and beverages consumed at Eats and Legendz Restaurant and Bar next to the hotel (they do a very good, cheap all-American breakfast). It's a one-minute walk across the road to a very nice beach, and if you want to feel like royalty for the day, sit in the Westin pool and pay a fortune for two drinks.<BR><BR>I just called Sunshine Suites, and they are willing to give you a special room rate of US$110.00 + 20% per night. A deluxe (don't know the difference) would be US$155.00 + 20% per night, and a one bedroom (suite I guess) would be US$175.00 + 20% per night.<BR><BR>If you are interested in Sunshine Suites, write to me directly so I can put you in touch with the right people, or you might not get their special rate. Hope this helps.

beach lover Jul 17th, 2002 08:13 AM

vicki<BR><BR>i've noticed your posts and see that you've provided great advice to others<BR><BR>i am planning a trip in august to grand cayman for a long weekend, and am looking for someplace no more than US$100 per night. i don't mind if the accomodations are not fancy as long as it is clean and on the beach (since i will not be renting a car).<BR><BR>do you have any good suggestions? someone said seaview is good, but it seems far from 7 mile...<BR><BR>thank you in advance for any advice you might have for me!

Vicki Jul 17th, 2002 12:18 PM

Well, Beach Lover, you're going to have a tough time finding anywhere on the beach for that price! Seaview, and Sunset House (the other hotel I would recommend in that area) are on the other side of town, and really don't have a beach so much as ironshore (tough, black fairly sharp rock)as their coastline. They are very close to town, 5 minutes walk, where you could catch a bus (think 10-seater mini van where all passengers become very close) for only about US$1-$2 up to West Bay Road and the beaches. I like those two hotels, not for the rooms, which are merely functional and designed with the diver in mind, but for their bars, which have a great atmosphere, and are popular with the locals. Won't cost you an arm and a leg for drinks either.<BR><BR>If you have to be on West Bay Road, which I understand, it's just that your budget is very restrictive (this is not a cheap island), I'd suggest that you raise your limit so you can afford Treasure Island. It's the closest thing to your range.<BR><BR>I've just called Seaview and Sunset House, and their prices have risen a bit to be almost comparable with Treasure Island. Treasure Island, with all the taxes etc.. works out to US$132 per night. It's a great location and a stone's throw from terrific beach.<BR><BR>You're not going to get a better deal than this unless you're prepared to be far away, and possibly near the airport. I'd advise you to stretch your budget a bit more and choose TI. Any other questions, I'll try and help.

beach lover Jul 17th, 2002 12:55 PM

hi vicki! that's ok, i can raise my budget - just wanted to see how cheap places were in gc. thank you so much for the info, i'll look into treasure island!

Mary Jul 19th, 2002 02:04 PM

Vicki,<BR><BR>I will definitely write you as I get closer to making plans. Thanks so much, you've been so helpful!

Jim Jul 20th, 2002 02:27 PM

We stayed at Treasure Island last July and were so disappointed we moved to Villas of the Galleon. Our condo had a great ocean view and was on the best section of the beach. Well worth the extra money. Have fun!

vicki Jul 21st, 2002 06:56 PM

Jim, I agree that Treasure Island can be disappointing, that's why I added the warning. The rooms are in quite a range of condition. I also agree that Villas of the Galleon are wonderful - it's just what money people have to budget.<BR><BR>If Mary or Beach Lover are willing to go up in price, I'm quite happy to suggest accommodation in the next range.

cayman420 Jul 23rd, 2002 06:48 AM

You will be disappointed if you stay at Treasure sland. BE CAREFUL sitting on the beach chairs. The resort is pretty run down. If you are on a budget stay at seaview, great little bar, good food and a salt water pool. Very laid back and cheap. You will need to rent a car to get around. Sunset house can be expensive but they have great shore diving.<BR>have fun! check out turtle nest inn, everyone seems to rave about the place!

Heather Jul 23rd, 2002 07:37 AM

Have you considered bidding on Priceline? You may be able to get a "nicer" hotel and spend the same amount. Check out biddingfortravel.com to see what hotels you may win if you bid and for bidding help.