You choose: Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic?

Sep 4th, 2003, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

You choose: Puerto Rico or Dominican Republic?

I'm planning an 11 day vacation. Originally I was considering Venezuela or Peru but the flights to Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic are so much cheaper. The 2 islands sound similar so I need some first-hand feedback to make a decision.

Which destination would you recommend and why?

Thanks for your help.
Sep 4th, 2003, 11:01 AM

We actually had about 13 days a few years ago and divided out time between the 2. Puerto Rico has alot to offer, good restaurants, nightlife, golf, the rain forest, great beaches, meandering thru old San Juan, seeing the forts and so on. The DR has great resorts and good prices. My advice would be to steer clear of Santo Domingo and Boca Chica and try La Romana, Punta Cana or Puerto Plata. The DR for fun in the sun and PR for that and the other aforementioned attractions.
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:08 PM

I have been to both and I would choose PR. I don't think they are at all similar. One is a US Territory. I think PR offers more variety, culture, history, activity. DR does have wonderful beach at Punta Cana. The resorts are nice, and great for R&R. Outside of the resorts not much to do. There is a lot more exploring in PR. There maybe other places besides Punta Cana in DR. The city is a one time visit. There are many restaurants to choose from in PR. Another idea would be to split the time up. Then you can see for yourself.
Sep 4th, 2003, 01:52 PM

Check out....http://www.debbiesdominicantravel.com./
for resorts inLa Romana or Punta Cana..
Sep 5th, 2003, 05:10 AM

I know both places, very, very well.

I will agree with dividing your tme between the two islands. Puerto Rico is US territory and is naturally, a comfor zone for americans. Restaurants and sightseeing such as the Old San Juan are wonderful.

On the other hand, Domnican Republic is not only about resorts. Resorts are the comfort zone for tourists. It also has great restaurants, sighseeing in the city and outiside the city. Also it is considerably cheaper than Puerto Rico. It is worth exploring.

Safety in neither island is not an issue as long as you take the necessary precautions as you will everywhere you go (no flashy jelwery, just enough money on you, use of identified or official taxis).

Enjoy your vacaton wherever you deide to go!
Sep 5th, 2003, 06:21 PM
Rob

Most resorts in the DR are all-inclusive. There are few, if any, in PR. It would be less expensive in the DR. Consider dividing the time between the two islands. In the DR most of the time will be spent in the resort. IN PR traveling the island can be interesting. .
Sep 5th, 2003, 07:28 PM
me

Agreed with "epaulino".See both islands .If you like historical stuff , don't count Santo Domingo out, it's the oldest city in North America, also has some good restaurants & night clubs ,most peoples only know Punta Cana & their beaches....Come on!
Sep 6th, 2003, 02:32 PM

I toured the city all day and the history was interesting. It depends what you are mostly interested in doing or seeing. I know it is only a 33 minute flight to DR. I think I would still try and split the time up.
Sep 7th, 2003, 04:10 AM

You might also enjoy the West Coast of PR around Rincon and Agadilla, esp which is fish restaurants, surfing territory and home of the very restful
Horned Dorset Primaverra, a small luxe
hotel/villa complex. For contrast, avoid the resorts of the DR and head for one of the small French and Italian-run guestshouses on the realatively unspoiled Samanna Peninsula.
Sep 8th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Both Puerto Rico and the Dominican Republic (PR & DR), have so much to do and offer "IF" you want to explore them. Both Islands are large and has so much happening, you can easily spend 11 days by taking day trips and/or splitting your vacation at different parts of island.

Both Fodors and Frommers Caribben Guidebooks (found in anybookstore) details so much about either Island. I always research my trips before I go. Also get the free magazines at the airports, for hip spots such as resturants, clubs, festivals and points of interest.

Great off the beaten track - places to go in Puerto Rico are: Culebra, Vieques, El Yunque (Rainforest), Arecibo, Ponce and skyline highway Mtn drive.

Dominican Rep: Sammana Peninsula, (Las Terrenas, Ricon, Limon Falls, Whale watching), Soana and Catalina Islands.