Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Yet another where should we go... (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/yet-another-where-should-we-go-367744/)

nfahey Jan 10th, 2004 12:51 PM

Yet another where should we go...

We are looking for a tropical vacation in the June time frame. Dates are relatively flexable.

Things that are important to us are nice beaches, safety, a great pool and good food. We would also like a place that is not over run with children. We like to relax and spend time together and see some of the island, but not go crazy w/ tours. We prefer to do an AI, but would like to try one that is relatively upscale w/o putting a huge dent in the bank. So along w/ suggesting an island, resort suggestions would be appreciated.

We have been to Aruba a few times and loved it. We have also been to Curacao and liked it along with Punta Cana and we loved the beaches, but not the island itself. We have also been to Puetro Rico and liked it.

My husband will not go to Jamaica, so this is off the list.

Any suggestions would be grreatly appreciated.

Thanks for your time!

Nancy

BlueDevil98 Jan 11th, 2004 04:10 AM

Just curious why your husband won't go to Jamaica. Some of the very best affordable AIs are located there, along with great flight options from the US. Knowing what he is trying to avoid will inform our suggestions.

Maureen Jan 11th, 2004 05:54 AM

You might try Sandals Resorts--they often have specials. We have stayed at Sandals Antigua in the month of December twice and enjoyed our stay. Great spa, good food, several pools, lush landscaping, activities etc. Only negative is constant vendors strolling on beach.
Although not A-I the Sugar Mill Hotel in Tortola British Virgin Islands was very romantic with only couples. You can purchase the MAP plan and their cuisine has won several awards--owners contribute to Bon Appetite Magazine. You will need to rent a jeep to drive to Cane Garden Bay, a much larger beach in a beautiful setting with restaurants (Myett's best) and lounges/umbrellas to rent. No vendors on beach. Plantation suites and villas at Sugar Mill are the best units and the views of other islands are fantastic (see "sugarmillhotel.com" and "b-v-i.com". Very lush and tropical island--sail or take water taxis to several other islands that are very quiet like Jost Van Dyke--White Bay.
If you change your mind about Jamaica, A-I Super Clubs Braco at Runaway Bay (45 mins from Montego Bay) was a wonderful resort--one of the best we have stayed at and we have traveled to many islands.

nfahey Jan 11th, 2004 07:55 AM

Hi BlueDevil98,
My hubby does not like most of the safety stories he has heard about Jamaica and therfore wishes to avoid this island. I figure there are enough other islands in the caribbean we can visit, so why push the issue.

We were actually condiering Antugua, St Lucia, Bahamas and Babados, but are very open to other suggestions. Beaches are our top priority but safety is a very close second.

Please keep the ideas coming. I really appreciate them.

Thanks again,

Nancy

Melissa1 Jan 12th, 2004 04:12 AM

My husband and I seem to be a lot like you. Don't want to have many kids around, we've been to Jamaica, and don't want to return-the islanders leave something to be desired.
Last spring we went to St. Martin and had a great time. We stayed at Le Meridian and rented a car. The hotel offers everything a beachfront 4 star should, and the island was so quaint.
Every day there is a new beach to check out and since the island is divided in two half French and the other Dutch, there really is a lot to see and do. Lots of restaurant choices and activities. Would seriously look into going there.
We've been to a lot of islands, but this is one of the tops, because of the European atmosphere and great places to visit. We could drive around the whole island in a few hours, and there is only one main road that eventually is a giant circle, so you'd never be lost. It's a two lane 35mph road. Easy to drive, relaxing even.
Hope you get to go. Melissa

nfahey Jan 13th, 2004 01:44 PM

Hi All,

I am considering Antigua. Based on what we look for in a vacation, do you think it would be a good choice?

We are also considering St James Club, Galley Bay and Blue Waters for accomodations. Is the extra cost worth it as far as the accomodations are concerned? Any comments or opinions on any of these would be appreciated.

Thanks to everyone for any input.

Nancy

nfahey Feb 10th, 2004 04:23 PM

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for the input and various suggestions. I think we've decided on Royal Hideaway in Mexico. I got a fantastic deal through skyauction.com and I'm waiting for them to confirm my dates.

I hope it's just half as wonderful as it sounds!

Nancy

SSypniewski Feb 11th, 2004 08:26 AM

You have decided on a very nice place. While it is smaller compared to the other AIs, it offers 5 star service, food and accommodations. The grounds and beach is beautiful as well. My husband and I stayed at the RH in October in 2002 and had a wonderful time. If time allows, I would highly recommend a day trip to Chichen Itza and/or Coba. (I think Tulum and Xel-Ah (sp.?)) are highly overrated in my opinion. Also when you eat in the italian restaurant be sure to request to eat outside on their balcony - very romantic. Your husband and yourself should have a terrific time! -Susan