Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Yacht ride from Miami to Cayman (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/yacht-ride-from-miami-to-cayman-160593/)

Yacht Feb 14th, 2002 10:32 AM

Yacht ride from Miami to Cayman

Does anyone know how long it would take to drive a Yacht to the Cayman Islands from Miami? I realize it depends on length of trip and speed but I'd really like to hear from people who have done it to try and get a general idea of how long it would take.

Giggle Feb 14th, 2002 10:40 AM

you don't drive a yacht or any sea going vessel. you might sail it or you might captain it!

Yacht Feb 14th, 2002 10:48 AM

Giggle - Oh you know what, you're right. Thanks for clearing that up for everyone. <BR><BR>Does anyone know how long it would take me to drive a Yacht to the Cayman Islands from Miami? I realize it depends on length of trip and speed but I'd really like to hear from people who have done it to try and get a general idea of how long it would take.<BR>

Yacht Feb 14th, 2002 11:59 AM

I realize not too many people can answer this but I'm bringing it back to the top for another try?

[email protected] Feb 14th, 2002 04:34 PM

There are some yacht companies in Grand Cayman that provide all the services for the yachting crowd. Do a search for them and ask them that question. They'll know. I believe that it will be about 2 days, max 3.

Yacht Feb 15th, 2002 07:26 AM

aaa - Thanks for the honest answer. I can tell those are not easy to come by on these message boards. :) I've noticed seeing a few yachts anchored off Seven Mile Beach in Grand Cayman and it looks like some fun. Thanks again.

George Feb 15th, 2002 08:13 AM

It should take about two days, depending on how fast you drive, how many times you stop, the weather, speed limit, traffic, etc.

Yacht Feb 15th, 2002 08:25 AM

George - That was funny. Wow. I guess some people just can't resist. Nice message board.

stillgiggling Feb 15th, 2002 10:39 AM

can hardly wait unti lyou answerthe question how you got there! Oh! you drove! LOL Next thing you know everyone is gonna be lookin' for the bridge. <BR>Important before yachting, whether sail or power, is to find a sense of humor. You'll need it

Yacht Feb 15th, 2002 10:50 AM

Yes, ROTF, I drive my boats. I sit behind the steering wheel and drive them. Doesn't everyone that owns a boat? My boats have engines with steering wheels, not sails. If you knew me, you'd know that I have a great sense of humor. But for you to find humor in someone saying their driving their boat or yacht, scares the hell out of me. I really don't even get the joke, if there is one. Also, I really don't think people will think I'm wanting to drive a car from Miami to Cayman when I mentioned that I would be taking a yacht to Cayman. Wow. Are you really serious? You should get out more. Anyway, thanks for trying to post a serious response to my question. I give you credit, you tried, but just couldn't resist being a smart-ass. Have a nice life.

Jeff Feb 15th, 2002 10:58 AM

Yacht, I read somewhere that the Cayman Islands have the 2nd highest number of luxury yachts in the world registered there, so you might look for some web sites that specialize in yachting.

Yacht Feb 15th, 2002 11:11 AM

Jeff - That is interesting. I honestly didn't know Cayman had that many registered there. I figured they had some, but obviously they have a lot. Thanks for the info.

bud Feb 15th, 2002 11:35 AM

Yacht-Get a "CHART" AND FIGURE IT OUT!<BR>For you to liken a major ocean passage to a "DRIVE" slays me.Having spent years learning respect for mother ocean, I really am afraid you are serious and not a troll, for the gulf stream is littered with pudknockers like you.btw read Hemingway quick!

Yacht Feb 15th, 2002 11:50 AM

I have tremendous respect for the ocean. I could get a chart and figure it out, you're right. I was just trying to srike up some conversation and maybe try and hear from fellow yachters who have done it. I apologize for insulting your intelligence. I guess the Hemingway reference is funny, I guess. Sorry for asking for opinions. I can't believe this message board. I'm looking back at my initial question and can't figure out what I did to deserve the responses I've gotten. Some people just feel the need to attack. I don't know why.

bud Feb 15th, 2002 12:26 PM

Yacht-Its your smart ass,stink pot,if you have to ask you can't afford it,attitude that riles us shellbacks!<BR>Its Santiago's 2nd day with the fish you<BR>should read,and its not funny,I guess.<BR>2 points abaft the beam,2 points

xxx Feb 15th, 2002 12:31 PM

Welcome to the worst message board on the internet, Yacht, completely unmoderated except for the occasional deletion of topic parts.<BR><BR>Maybe one day fodors will decide to either get rid of it, moderate it or require user registration to post, until then have fun locating few serious responses in among the idiot posts from people with nothing better to do.

Yacht Feb 15th, 2002 01:03 PM

bud - I've tried to be sensible here, but your last post crossed the line. Now, go have another beer.....bud. If you're a really good boy, I'll give you a job as a bartender on my yacht. You sound like you have good conversation, and, with a name like "bud", you're a born bartender. Oh, I need a good person to shine my shoes too, maybe you can bring a friend. Yes, the book you refer to is very funny. Burn the book. I've got better things to do, like have fun. Run along now and be a good little boy...........bud. <BR><BR>

xxx Feb 15th, 2002 01:20 PM

FYI. Cayman has a high number of luxury yachts registered there for tax reasons. This does not mean the ships are actually located IN Cayman.

bud Feb 15th, 2002 01:32 PM

Yacht-I would love to mix you a mojito,name the place pussy, please tell me you plan on taking a portable sat/nav on your trip.

Yacht Feb 15th, 2002 01:42 PM

bud - Please stop embarrassing your family.