X-mas/New Year period at Beaches T&C

Dec 5th, 2004, 06:52 AM
Original Poster

X-mas/New Year period at Beaches T&C

I have read many mixed reviews about Beaches Resort at Turks & Caicos and am still baffled by the huge variance in opinions and experiences. It would be helpful if anyone with a good grasp of why experiences can be so profoundly different could enlighten me on this -- how can this be!?.

I am planning to be there with my wife and two kids (12 and 14) during the holiday period into the new year and if there is anything we can do pre-emptively to make our stay more successful (e.g. things to take, how to schedule our day (e.g. dinner time), or even little known resort secrets that one could share) would be very helpful to know this.

Also, if there are any thoughts out there as to what might be the reason that people seem to have such diverse and intensely different experiences in the exact same place I would be very interested in hearing these.

Any recommendations to make our stay at Beaches a better one would be appreciated.
Thanks a lot!
Dec 5th, 2004, 04:49 PM

Hi CaribBoy - I read every review out there regarding Beaches T&C and was convinced that my husband, teen daughter and I would love the resort. We did not for several reasons. We had fallen in love with Provo two years prior during our stay at the Allegro (another all-inclusive resort in T&C that is unfortunately no longer around that was much smaller and better suited to our likes). The Allegro's stretch of beach on Grace Bay was wide and uncrowded. Beaches beach during our stay this past June was very narrow and unbelieveably crowded. Nothing at all like the marketing photos you will see from this resort. The only way I can describe Beaches is it's like Disney World on a beach. If you love Disney you will probably like Beaches. If you found Disney overcrowded with strollers, noise, screaming parents at kids who are just wanting to have fun and little magic, Beaches won't be for you. We will definitely return to Provo but will stay next time at one of the many beautiful condo resorts, saving money and enjoying the peace and quiet that is Provo everywhere else but Beache's beach.
Dec 5th, 2004, 06:11 PM

You know, I just read my reply to you and realized I didn't offer you any suggestions to enjoy Beaches. Here are some of mine: Don't overlook Reflections, the all buffet restaurant for dinner. We found it to be less crowded there and liked the themed evening buffets. On Friday nights, they have steamed Alaskan king crab legs that were great. If you enjoy a sit down, order from the menu breakfast to break up eating a buffet breakfast, try Schooners restaurant in the morning. If you want to get a seat for the evening entertainment, get there early and try to sit in the area in front of the stage so people aren't walking in front of you during the shows. Smile at the employees - they really do try to make your stay at Beaches very enjoyable. If you want a palapa at the beach, you will need to go out early for one. We enjoyed our lunches at Arizona's restaurant which was a short walk from the beach and enjoyed our late afternoons at the huge, beautiful pool at the French Village. We took our own snorkel gear and every day walked 10 minutes down the beach to the left (facing the water) to snorkel at Bight Reef and in front of the Coral Gardens Resort where we saw lots of fish, turtles and coral. That's all I can think of at the moment. If you have any questions I'll be happy to try and help.
Dec 5th, 2004, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi MuyLinda -- thanks very much for both postings. Your opinions and suggestions are very helpful. Muchas gracias!!
Dec 6th, 2004, 02:25 PM

My husband and I were there 4 years ago right Jan. for much needed R&R. We were childless and we knew before we went it was a family resort. We had a great special 2 for 1 deal, and my husband is a diver and it included unlimited diving so it was a great value. I agree to go snorkeling right down the beach. The Japaneese restaurant I thought was very good. I can not fault the place it was a fine vacation for what we paid. I thought the Island was a bit to quiet for my taste, after a week most people were ready to return home. I like more activity, and the nights were quiet and seeing magicians on stage was not the ideal entertainment for us. I think for a family it is o.k. I found the food adequate. The beach is crowded, and small and the water was more on the chilly side when we were there.
Dec 11th, 2004, 10:03 PM

My husband and I (45 to 50 age group) had a wonderful time at Beaches in May (it was just the 2 of us). It is obvious that the staff there wants to make your stay a pleasant one, they are very friendly. As was already posted, if you smile at them you will get a big smile in return.

We ate almost all our meals at the buffet restaurant, the menus were different every day. And, we enjoyed lunch at Arizona's a couple times. Supper at Schooners was a bit slow. We enjoyed going to the French cafe for afternoon snacks, every day was different (crepes day was great). All in all, the food taste and quality was more than adequate.

The water clarity in T&C is unbelievable, I just hope it won't be too chilly at Christmas. We also snorkeled at the reef at Coral Gardens and saw hawkbill turtles and lots of fish. This reef was as pretty as any I've seen in deeper water. You are limited to swimming around the reef because there is a rope around the perimeter. They say the rope is to keep you away from the Fire Coral. I have a feeling it's there to keep you from hitting all of the coral with your feet/flippers/body, which would surely kill the coral. Anyway, the rope serves its purpose. People say it's a 10 minute walk to get there...if they really made it in 10 minutes they must have walked really fast. Personally, I would call it a 15 to 20 minute walk, but it is worth every foot-step. We also found coral close to the shore at the extreme left side of the resort (as you are facing the water). This coral is just beginning to grow and is sparse, but there was still a lot of colorful fish to see. I wish they would rope-off this area too, so unknowing feet wouldn't hit and kill the coral before it can really take hold and become dense.

We too stayed at the Allegro resort 2 times before it was torn down. The beach was indeed wonderful, and you nearly felt you were alone. That probably had a lot to do with Allegro's closing, the resort hardly had any guests staying there so the beach was empty. It was no surprise to me that it went out of business, though I was very sad. However, in my opinion the overall quality of the Beaches resort is superior to what we experienced at Allegro. Beaches is a very popular resort for families so lots of people go there. To compare it to Disney might be a fair comparison...everything I saw at Beaches was tastefully done and child friendly. Now that Beaches has Sesame Street characters on-site I think that will be tasteful too. I have a feeling Beaches will be packed while you are there. You will handle it.

I understand your confusion about good and bad resort reviews. I too have experienced the same thing when doing my homework on different resorts that I wanted to stay at. I finally figured out that some people simply cannot be pleased, they expect perfection, and let's face facts...it's not a perfect world. Perfection is especially hard to find when one is travelling to a small island where standards may be a little different than home-sweet-home. I would completely disregard any review that sounded like a horror story, those are probably from the "perfect people."

As long as the weather is good, and the water isn't too cold, your family should have a wonderful time at Beaches. I have already booked our return trip for spring 2005, and I can't wait.
Dec 12th, 2004, 09:29 AM

I'm sure you will have a great time. We just got back from T&C We stayed at the Sands but walked up to Beaches & walked around as we were interested in potentially staying there in the future. The grounds were very nicely landscaped & the pools were beautiful. From the outside, some of the rooms did look a little tired but we didn't go in one so I can't comment there. My biggest suggestion would just to enjoy the beach. All of the beachfront on T&C is public so if you feel like Beaches is too crowded or you just want to get away for awhile, go for a long walk on the beach. These were a highlight of our vacation, its so beautiful. Also, you can just plop a towel anywhere and just sit & relax or go for a swim away from the crowds. The water was slightly chilly when you first went in but very refreshing. You may want to consider bringing your own towels, that way if they run out its not a problem. Also, bring more than 1 bathing suit. The sand is so fine, our bathing suits would be full by lunch time, and changing into a new one was always a good feeling. Bring some of the kids favorite snacks. All the kids at our pool came running when we brought out a can of Cheetos. That way even if they don't like the food at least they won't starve to death. Just relax and have fun. Try to enjoy the slower island pace by spending some quality time together. Waiting for your meals can be a great time to catch up on everyone's day. Have fun!!
Jan 5th, 2005, 07:05 AM
kgn

CaribBoy:
How was your trip? We are looking for next year. We spent this Xmas on a cruise, which was fabulous! We were thinking of a resort for next year but after reading all the negative reports on Beaches I am rethinking it. We have four kids ages 8 - 15. Please let me know your honest opinion. Would you go back? How was the entertainment, food, lines, beach etc.
Thanks