Reload this Page >

Wyndham Grand Rio Mar Beach Resort & Spa in Puerto Rico

Old Jan 14th, 2014, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Booking a week here beginning June 30th. Curious on people's thoughts on the place and things to do there. 4 of us traveling, the younger 2, girl 21, boy 18. She likes sightseeing, he like adventure skidoos, water skiing, etc. Any opinions or things to do will be appreciated,

Thanks,

TJ
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 10:47 AM
WWK

Is it too late to book elsewhere? We stayed there twice(first time only a few days for a business conference, second time with kids) and won't go back. This was three years ago, so things may have improved, but the hotel was very run-down and too isolated for us. The beach was a disappointment- not raked or cleaned, and led to a swampy marsh on one end.

I could go on, but you get the idea. If we were visiting PUerto Rico again, I'd stay in San Juan or go out to Vieques. If it is too late to rebook, definitely get a car so you won't be stuck with food choices at the resort, which were expensive and not very good. We enjoyed the food shacks near the beach in Loquillo ( spelling??) very much, and ate there most nights after sampling one of the resort's ultra expensive restaurants.

Wish I could give a better review, and as I say, things may have changed in the last few years?
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for responding. They are in the midst of an upgrade, so I'm hoping it will be better than what you experienced. We are aware it's not in the midst of things, but it is only 45 minutes to San Juan, so we're hoping that works out.
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 05:11 PM

Being in a "midst" of an ungrade makes me think of Ann Arbor for the 1st outdoor hockey game in the Big House. We found ourselves in a virtual closet and with a roll away cot to boot. We had some large boys in the party and only when we were away from the "closet and construction noises (7:30AM) did we have a great time. Expected much more from a Starwood elite booking.Make sure your rooms are not in the rehab area. If not too late try another place..
Old Jan 14th, 2014, 05:45 PM
WWK

Not trying to be annoying, but we were told they were in the midst of an upgrade during our visit three years ago. No doubt some rooms were better than others, although ours was a premium room with a dripping AC unit that left the floors and chairs wet.

If you can't or don't want to get out of the booking of course that's your choice. But there are way better places to stay in PR.
Old Jan 20th, 2014, 03:21 AM

It's been a while since we stayed there, but I was not overwhelmed. We stayed for a night or two to see El Yunque. I can't imagine staying there for a week. I think it's too costly to get all the way to PR to stay at a big mediocre chain hotel. I have a friend who stayed there more recently than I, and she did not like her stay. I agree with going to Vieques.
Old Jan 22nd, 2014, 06:41 AM

Its best to rent one of the golf course condos here instead of the hotel. Much more space, huge terraces. Its a totally different experience. But the beach is the real problem here the surf is rough and can be extremely so. There is also a scary undertow. It does have a constant windward breeze which is great. The condo beach side pool is better than the hotels too. Right on the beach and you can turn around and see the mountains of the rain forest. I had a great time here...but would not stay at the hotel. The hotel restaurants are good and the one above the golf club has a breath taking view. I'd go back.