Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Wow.. this board has really taken a turn on their opinion of Sandals!

Nov 29th, 2001, 06:56 AM
Jenny

It is so positive now... From reading this board the last couple days I cannot believe the change of Sandals attitude...

Nov 29th, 2001, 07:17 AM
Dee

No change here. I wouldn't stay at a Sandals resort if it was totally free of charge.

Nov 29th, 2001, 07:47 AM
DMN

Everyone has there own opinion, but I would not stay at a Sandals. Its not for me!!!Agree with Dee, not for free either!!

Nov 29th, 2001, 08:07 AM
Dr. Suess

DMN,
Stop trying to horn in on my racket with those rhymes!

Nov 29th, 2001, 08:38 AM
lisa

Can I ask why you two wouldn't stay at a Sandals resort? And which resort(s) you base this on?

Thanks.

Nov 29th, 2001, 10:58 AM
Jeremy

I stayed ta beaches turks and caicos and it was not good at all.

Nov 29th, 2001, 12:20 PM
Scott

I'm feeling generous, so for those who wouldn't stay there for free, go ahead and send me your tickets, and reservations, and I'll take your place for free!!

Nov 29th, 2001, 01:09 PM
Penney

We have been to 6 SAndals/Beaches resorts and really enjoyed our trips. They really are somewhat different from each other however.

Nov 29th, 2001, 02:39 PM
Kim

Im a Sandals returnee many times and am 100% Sandals. We have alway been treated like kings and queens and will return there again many time over.

Nov 29th, 2001, 05:08 PM
Amber

Lisa,

In response to your question, I just got back from the Sandals Negril. Although I thought Jamaica was beautiful and a great place to vacation, I was not impressed with the resort simply because it seemed as if most of the staff working there were extremely unhappy and were pretty reluctant to help out. Definitely not a service with a smile type of place.

Near the end of the trip, I started getting up to get condiments, drinks, anything I could get easily myself, because the service was really slow and the staff made me feel as if I were putting them out by asking for something. It wasn't just "island time" issues either. We got a lot of "it's not my job, mon" responses for simple things with no offers to help us figure out a solution to what we needed or asked.

I was especially disappointed with the dive program and a few members of their team. I didn't feel as safe diving with them as with other outfits we've used, even at other all-inclusives. Normally I dive four or six times during a week long vacation. After two dives there, I didn't want to get into the water again with them. Especially with one divemaster taking 15 people on a dive.

We're usually pretty low maintenance vacationers, and we have always enjoyed every vacation we've been on but this one was different. We've also been to Club Med several times and loved it, so it's not that we hate all-inclusives. I just felt that although the resort was a strong 3 out of 5 in terms of atmosphere, comfort, food, etc, the apathy and unhappiness of the staff made the resort a 1 or 2 out of 5 on my list. I would not go back, nor would I try another Sandals simply because my vacation time is too valuable to risk another "blah, yuck" experience.

In adding up costs, we didn't think it was a great deal for room and board either. $400 per couple per day at Sandals. We paid a $150/day special online rate at the Ritz Carlton in Rose Hall for a couple of days before Sandals. With the extra $250 difference, we could have drank, eaten, and activitied for about the same price as at Sandals. The difference being that the Ritz is 5 star and the staff was unbelievably helpful and went out of their way numerous times to make our nights there a real treat.

All in all, I would NOT go back. Interestingly enough, we met a couple at the airport who stayed at the Sandals in Ochos Rios, and they had the same comments to make about their resort.

Just one traveler's opinion.

Nov 29th, 2001, 11:26 PM
Anon

I would be careful about what "Kim" is writing about the Sandals resorts - I've noticed that she's pushing them everywhere - probably works for them or something. (Just like "Bill" who is always and everywhere promoting the Timothy Beach resort in St. Kitts).

Nov 30th, 2001, 06:07 AM
research

I've been researching Sandals and other all-inclusive resorts for an upcoming trip. I've read tons of reviews, talked to people who've been there, and talked many travel agents. I admit it, I'm obsessive compulsive when it comes to trip planning. Everything that I've read points to Beaches Royal Plantation. It's the only place that I can't find any negative feedback on. None. It was awarded the AAA five diamond award. It's small, not like the other all-inclusive mega-plexes. The food is gourmet, not lousy buffets. It's quiet and peaceful, not a place with tons of activities that distract from relaxation. I haven't been there yet, and now it seems almost in the "too good to be true" genre for me. But it has promise . . . as a Sandals/Beaches that's not all bad!

Nov 30th, 2001, 06:45 AM
Lisa

Amber, thanks for your honest reply. It does sound like you had a less than perfect vacation.

I will say I have heard similar things about any resort in Jamaica. I have a friend who also went to Negril 3 times and she agrees the service is bad, b/c the staff are so poorly paid and live in poverty.

We are going to the Halycon Sandals, I've heard very good things about that resort, its supposed to be very good.

However, i will keep my eyes open and see what happens.

Nov 30th, 2001, 06:49 AM
Kim

No, I dont work for Sandals. Im a house wife. I enjoy Sandals and intend on visting them as much as possible. I wish I worked for them so I would not have to pay $5000 a year for vacationing there.

Nov 30th, 2001, 07:19 AM
Kim

The closest thing to a travel agent I am is I clean my travel agents office weekly. She is also my neighbor and good friend. Sorry, should have posted that earlier.

Nov 30th, 2001, 11:29 AM
Dolli

My daughter and husband honeymooned at the Sandals, Dunns River Falls and was very disappointed with the resort, food, and the service. She said they had a wonderful time because that's what they made of it. Last year while we were in Jamaica (not Sandals) there was a thing we caught on Jamaican TV about how the Sandals and related resorts are making some changes and renovations. We got the impression that the complaints had been mounting.

Nov 30th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Jspringer

I was a huge Sandals fan also until last February when my husband and I were booked for the Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay...when we arrived at the airport they told us that location was overbooked and they moved us to Montego Bay which we did NOT want because it is so close to the airport and planes fly low and loud all day long. We still tried to make the best of it although we had to pursue the manager to find out how they would comp us. They gave us only two free nights at a future Sandals. Airfare to the Caribbean for two most places will run $700 - 1,000 so we are still out additional money.

When I tried to use the free nights it was impossible to reach one of the two girls who handle complimentary nights - they even distinquish between travellers who get a comped because of an inconvenience...why should that matter? Anyway, they then tried to tell me that there were blackout dates...nothing on the letter to that effect. I tried e:mailing Customer Service, Managers, VP's...always got the same person to reply. It is sad because I probably won't go back to Sandals because of this and I loved St. Lucia and visited Royal Caribbean and it was what we wanted. By bumping us, we did not get what we paid for.

Nov 30th, 2001, 07:28 PM
Lucy

Like the above poster, I too was a fan of Sandals (especially at Royal Carribean) ... until a visit to SOR when we had a problem (a theft of personal items from our LOCKED room) and instead of trying to recover the stolen items or to address the problem, instead we got rude responses, a continual run around, and they generally treated us like dirt. We were shocked as we had received what we thought to be wonderful treatment in the past at Sandals. It made us feel that they were nice only as long as there was no problem and you were happy and having a good time, but that once somebody had a problem or raised a complaint, things changed. It really left a sour taste in my mouth and we have not been back since it happened (in 1998). Instead, we have spent our 1 - 2 trips to Jamaica each year at other AI resorts on the island, where resort management have been willing and able to address any problems that arise.

Dec 1st, 2001, 11:58 AM
Kim

Heres a great place to post your complaints to Sandals and get something done about it. Go to www.planetfeedback.com you will get results!

Dec 1st, 2001, 12:25 PM
Julie

My experience at and opinion of Sandals Negril was similiar to Amber's description. Additionally, I felt the atmosphere there was tacky. It felt like a frat party -only 10-20 years later. Just one example-people were literally screaming drunk coming off of that booze cruise thing. I wouldn't waste my precious vacation time at a Sandals again.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO