Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Wow, airfare is high to GC! (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/wow-airfare-is-high-to-gc-495198/)

lkemerson Jan 13th, 2005 03:53 PM

Wow, airfare is high to GC!

I was advised [and good advice it was] that it was best to buy your airfare about 90 days out.

Been watching this year for the price to come down. It isn't. Is it because fewer flights are coming in? We usually fly NWA from Detroit to Georgetown non-stop. This year NWA does not have non-stops for us. We are seeing $600 fares!

Anyone have any helpful hints on making this better. If we are going to use Sue's advice [Hi Sue and Harv...hope the rebuild of Harv's Kai is going well] and try for the 90 days out, that has worked every time...we'd be looking at the next two weeks to purchase - but prices are still way high from the same time last year.

I guess I just wanted to vent, and look for any help.

Cayman Tom...heading your way for another fun night with the Barefoot Man. Edna is a keeper as was Marghareita. Another good hire!

monk21 Jan 13th, 2005 06:55 PM

been watdhing for a long time for fares from mpls or detroit and finally took the 540.00 on delta via atlanta...nwa is usually my choice too, but only found 800.00 or 70,000 frequent flyer miles...

KVR Jan 14th, 2005 06:22 AM

Have you looked on http://www.caymanislands.ky/

We flew Cayman Air out of Houston and got an excellant deal. However that was in Nov. 2003 pre-hurricane damage.

KVR Jan 14th, 2005 06:22 AM

Have you looked on http://www.caymanislands.ky/

We flew Cayman Air out of Houston and got an excellant deal. However that was in Nov. 2003. (pre-hurricane damage)

lkemerson Jan 14th, 2005 11:38 AM

KVR - airfare for us at that site is $666! See what I mean? It's insane!

We've never paid this much for airfare - it's awful!

Traveler863 Jan 14th, 2005 06:56 PM

Ike,
I haven't flown to Cayman in a few years however I have noticed Carib fares much higher than they used to be in past years....can remember flying to Tobago for $350 from DC.

Do know that fares are based on "load", which is the percentage of seats sold. This is your best weapon as a consumer, to know if that plane is mostly empty or mostly full.....that is what truly drives the prices. If you don't know or can't find it on line just simply call them and ask and be frank, ask %, they will most likely say oh a few seats one way or the other....get the full picture. If its wide open ride the fence, if its great than 75% full buy as you won't see sales with that load and fares generally only go up. Your best advantage is to be informed and decide smartly. Happy travels.

lkemerson Jan 15th, 2005 11:14 AM

Thank you for the info on how this all works. I will be doing as you suggested. Keep your fingers crossed for me!

RandyK Jan 15th, 2005 12:03 PM

We've gone to Cayman for spring break for the last 3 years. Two years ago airfare for us out of Nashville to Cayman was about $425, in fact I think that's the same fare we paid three years ago as well. Last year's rates at the same timeEaster were just over $600. I looked everywhere and tried everything. We finally flew AA to Miami and then Cayman Air. It was the best deal we could get.

We're finding similar luck with other Caribbean locations this year. Must be passenger load and the number of flights must be down as well. It stinks, but our experience---once you're there you forget all about it. Go and have a good time!

lkemerson Jan 15th, 2005 06:41 PM

Randy,

Thank you for your reply.

I know once we get there we will forget about the airfare, we always forget about everything when there, but fun in the sun and lots of family time.

I think I will watch for another week or so, and then just go for it, while in the meantime I will be taking travelers suggestion and calling the airlines just to get a good idea of what we may be looking at.

3 months and counting. I need to quit looking at our pictures from the past two years, it makes me want to be there too badly.

lkemerson Jan 18th, 2005 03:46 PM

Traveler863...

if you are out there in the ether...I followed your advice and have another question.

We found a fare for $667 on Delta that meets our travel requirements - well all except price. There is a trip leaveing Detroit 7:30 a.m. to Atlanta to GC arrival at 12:45 - IDEAL.

I took your advice and called Delta. The flight from Detroit to Atlanta is only 10% filled...very low. The flight from Atlanta to GC is only at 20%...also very low.

So do you think I should give it another week or so?

I have the book you suggested on hold at the library, but would appreciate knowing what you think of waiting - and how long we should wait.

Any help or a nice nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.

Karen

Traveler863 Jan 19th, 2005 06:01 PM

Karen,
Its hard to give advise to someone else on what to do, I can only give you probabilities but nothing is concrete with my strategy....though most times it works.

I will say though if you have particular dates you need to travel on and are not flexible it is not advised to play the waiting game. Also bear in mind that many airlines refund in the case of a fare going down...most only in the form of a voucher, must use within a year but one exception I know is American who refunds with credit back to your credit card...great deal can't lose on that, get the flights you want, seats you want and if there's a sale you get the sale price....however thats not even a total guarantee, if say that sale price is sold out on your particular travels dates then no you can't get a refund or might be only a partial refund as perhaps maybe the return leg is ok for sale, for example.

With only a 10% or 20% load, those flights are "wide open". I would wait, but I would check daily and don't check sites that only quote "published" fares...airlines quite often have fluky fares only gotten by actually faring it out. Remember those $25 tickets United had to honor a few years ago? That was not a published fare and a glitch in system only had by faring it out. Not to say unpublished fares are all glitches certainly not but an example.

When do you plan to travel? Is it low season? There are typical times of the year for sales to certain markets, let me know.

Lastly, I am LEAST familiar with Delta as I am with United and American, I rarely fly Delta because they don't serve my area the best. I don't know what their particular policies are nor what they typically do with sales to certain markets. I can only provide a general rule of thumb with most airlines.

Check everything, leave no stones unturned and be persistent.

Best of luck to you and happy travels.

lkemerson Jan 24th, 2005 01:02 PM

We're traveling April 14-28.

Right now it looks like our best bet is to perhaps wait on the Delta flight [less time spent in layovers] or go for the American Airlines trip.

We are watching daily, and if we see no movement in the next week, we may just go with the American Airlines trip and watch to see if the fare drops!

Thank you for your help and your guidance. I've learned a lot!

Karen

sandysea Jan 24th, 2005 01:50 PM

Karen - We will be there 16th to 30th April. We are flying Delta from LAX which is costing us NZ$768 each (about $550. We booked thru our travel agent here in NZ. Have you had quotes from an agent? I found that accommodation was cheaper if I booked it myself but the airfares were cheaper thru an agent.

lkemerson Jan 25th, 2005 03:12 AM

Sandy,

No I haven't tried through an agent for this trip. In the past I've always done better for myself than I could with an agent, so it never even occured to me they may be cheaper.

Looking now at an AA flight for $593 @ including taxes and fees, and if the fare goes down it looks like I could get a refund which really appeals. I watch these things every day, so if it goes down, I'll know!

Are you the Sandy that stays on the Nside and is occasionally at the Driftwood??? If you are, maybe we'll see you there. You will be down when we are. I've been checking the port schedule http://www.caymanport.com/schedule.htm and it looks like we should have a couple days cruise ship free! We like to schedule our boat snorkel trips and stingray city sandbar trips then.

I think I am going to go ahead and buy this airfare on Friday, regardless. I looked at the flight seating [AA lets you do this] and there are plenty of seats. I think I'll call an agent today just to double check.

Can't wait to get back.

Gary1 Jan 25th, 2005 03:35 AM

Just wanted to say I have been watching airfares to Jamaica - MBJ - Though not to Cayman Island but Carribean just as well, since last June when we decided to make the trip. Non Stop flights only one NWA out of Detroit over $700.00 one day last week the price for that flight dropped to $484.00 for a 24 hour period, we bought the tickets now the fare is up to $639.00 and has stayed there. I bought the tickets directly through NWA but if you check on Orbitz.com you can click on the flight and then the seats and it will show you the configuration of the plane and how many seats and which ones are left on that flight.
Hope it helps.

lkemerson Jan 25th, 2005 01:54 PM

Thanks Gary,

There are no flights via the Northwest site for the days we need to travel...darn it.

If you go to Expedia [I think] they show NWA flights that would take you to Miami and then to GC but the airfare is more than this $604 one at American.

I do appreciate the heads up, and congrats on your good luck on the airfare. Nothing like a little fun in the sun, and add atop that, good airfare prices and it makes it that much better!

I'm holding out to see what happens at weeks end, and then just going for it on AA I think.

Phew...I've never paid this much for airfare anywhere before. Not even to Europe. Oh well, it'll be worth it and I'll forget about the cost once there!

GC_Sandy Jan 26th, 2005 03:29 AM

Hi Karen,
I'm the Sandy that stays on the north side. The "Retreat" where we stay at Rumpoint got a lot of damage from Ivan, and probably won't be ready for guests till fall. I can't wait to get back down there. Also, the Driftwood was totally destroyed so I'm not sure on the status of that reopening either. I'm waiting to hear from Sue on what's happening on the north side. I guess for our April trip we are heading back to Turks & Caicos. Where are you staying in April??
Sandy

KDR Jan 26th, 2005 04:05 AM

Have you tried www.flycheapabroad.com? I bought my tickets for a recent trip to Jamaica through this website, and saved several hundred dollars. Air Jamaica was quoting me $616 per ticket, but by buying through flycheapabroad my tickets were $395 each for the very same Air Jamaica flight. Just a thought. I agree with everyone that the costs of flights are way up right now.

lkemerson Jan 26th, 2005 01:27 PM

Sandy! Are you as frozen as I am? I wondered if that was you. Where are you getting airfare from [to keep this along the lines of the thread]?

We are staying at Mahogany Point. Dax and Lili have been very informative and helpful. Their place looks fantastic and is very affordable.

http://members.aol.com/mahoganyptvillas/ There I'll throw in a little plug.

Anyway, we had thought of Turks and Caicos or even Curacao, but our entire family so loves Grand Cayman we decided we were happiest there, so there we go again!

I did hear from Sue a while back. In fact, I think she is there now, and had posted that she planned on posting a trip report on caribbean-on-line over the weekend...I haven't seen it yet. She was staying in Old Man Bay somewhere. I thought I had also read that the Driftwood was once again open! Did I read that wrong?

The pictures I've seen of Rum Point look great. I am sorry that where you stay had damage. I know you loved it there. Have fun in April and let me know how Turks and Caicos was. [one of our favorite restaurants on GC is gone forever. WE always liked going out one evening to Bella Capri- we'll miss it!]

KDR...WOW, that is only $495 per person, but I am leery of the site...have you ever used their service before? There were no problems. I guess I get nervous when I haven't heard of the service before. I'd really appreciate hearing from anyone who has used this site for airfare, and if they had any problems.

What a savings! Please, please, please see this and write back.

THANKS!

Karen

GC_Sandy Jan 26th, 2005 03:27 PM

Hi Karen,
Yes, I am frozen!!! Can't wait to get out of here,(Ohio) and have some warm weather. I'm going to book our flights with US AIR. The price is $691 per ticket right now, but I'm holding out a few more weeks to see if they drop. They usually do drop the first of Febuary.

If the Driftwood is open, I'm very suprised!! It was totally gone except for one wall. I can't wait to see Sue's report on what's going on down there. I am so jealous that you guys will be there in April!!! I hope you have a great vacation. We went to Turks & Caicos this past November and really enjoyed it. It wasn't GC, but it was very nice. GC will always be our favorite island!!! You can't beat Rum Point!

Where exactly is Mahogany Point? Is it on the north side? I'll check out the site, and let me know how you liked it, just in case the Retreat still isn't ready in the fall. I am dying for the Sunday BBQ at the Driftwood!! Bella Capri was one of my favorite places also, so sad!! Please let me know how things are when you get back.
Take care,
Sandy