Need advice St Thomas vs St John

Old May 25th, 2001, 01:22 PM
Jane

Need advice St Thomas vs St John

Help
I really want to go to St John and have been researching for weeks. As expense is a consideration, I'm tempted by the Secret Harbor Resort on St Thomas since I can get a discount there(looks pretty on web site). I would like advice from anyone who has stayed on both islands pros/cons.
Thanks

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:00 PM
Karen

I have never stayed at Secret Harbour but it is an older casual condo complex out on East End near Red Hook for easy access to the ferry and dining options. The units there are individually owned and go into the "hotel" for rental when the owner is not using them so the decorations and amenitities may vary slightly. They do have cooking facilities and some units are directly on the beach which is a lovely beach, calm and clear, with good snorkling right there. Other units may be further up a hill. It would be a convenient thing to rent a vehicle if staying there. The prices on STT, generally, are less expensive for accomodations than on STJ and you didn't mention where you considered staying on STJ so it would be hard to compare SHBR to where you have picked on STJ. Most of the villas on STJ are not beachfront which means that you will want to commute daily to the beach. That might be a plus if you like doing that but SHBR you can have the sand and water right outside your door if you want! Since STJ is mostly Nat'l Park it is not as developed as STT but East End is not the busy hussle and bussle that you think of when you think of STT, Charlotte Amalie and the cruise ships arriving. The ferry from Red Hook to STJ is 15 minutes and some car rental agencies allow you to use the car ferry to take the car over. SHBR has one of my favorite restaurants, Blue Moon Cafe, right on property and it is a quiet casual place.

Old May 25th, 2001, 02:08 PM
Karen

Sorry for 2 responses but longer ones don't seem to "take" so I'm not taking the chance ...
If it is a villa you are considering, there are loads that have dynamite views of the water, the islands and most have hot tubs and offer lots of privacy. The North Shore beaches are fabulous and you will want to trek to them tho no matter where you stay (Caneel is the only property that has beautiful beaches on it other than a few villas). Both islands have choices of good restuarants but STT has more choices but there are some excellent ones. Most "nitelife" on STJ, and it is quiet nitelife, is focused in Cruz Bay in several small bars. I think that most people prefer St. John for the quiet privacy but it can be found on STT too. If you want to email me, feel free to do so.

Old May 25th, 2001, 05:22 PM
fish

St. Thomas vs. St. John - the difference between Honolulu and Kauia. St. Thomas is very commercialized and touristy. If you like relaxed, secluded and laid back then St. J is your best bet....you can still go via ferry during the day for the shopping on St. T

Old May 25th, 2001, 11:49 PM
Mike

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Fish -- but Honolulu/Waikiki are quite beautiful nonetheless, whereas St. Thomas most definitely is NOT!!!

Old May 26th, 2001, 05:45 AM
Patty

Jane,
Just returned from a short trip to St. Thomas last month. We spent the day on St. Jhn and boy am I ever sorry that I didn't choose to stay on there.Although we had a good time on St. Thomas, I felt much safer and better treated on St. John.

Patty

Old May 26th, 2001, 08:51 AM
Jackie

The only problem is that if you really want a resort atmosphere the only choice is Caneel Bay on St. John for big bucks. The Westin is there too but it has more of a hotel feel to it and the beach is terrible. Unless you rent a villa there isn't much choice.