Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Windstar Carribean?????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/windstar-carribean-219601/)

susan May 12th, 2002 05:44 PM

Windstar Carribean??????

Any thoughts on Windspirit ship cruise in the carribean for a honeymoon at New years ???<BR>Any other suggestions would be appreciated.<BR>Considering either that or a trip to Bora Bora..which do u think is the way to go for a honeymoon ...<BR>I would love to go to Bora Bora but the trip there from NY seems a little much that is why I have been considering the cruise???<BR>help

Tami May 13th, 2002 06:06 AM

We did the Windstar cruise in Tahiti for our honeymoon. We loved it. The staff catered to us, the sightseeing was great, food was very good, great scuba diving and not too many people like the other large cruise ships. I would recommend it.

s May 15th, 2002 04:35 PM

Thank you. has anyone taken the windspirit in december in the carribean??

Gayle May 16th, 2002 05:16 AM

We have been on 8 Windstar cruises over the past 18 years. When we first "discovered" theses little gems of the cruise world, it was the mid eighties. They had two ships and were privately owned. The experience was wonderful as the ships were sparkling new, the crews European with a staff ratio of 4:1. The ports of call were all teeny out islands with no large ports and the food was spectacular. But our greatest memories are of going to the top deck around midnight, where we'd find a few other couples. The staff had retired, the bar was completely open and we all brought our own CDs tapes (note the era) and we'd pop in our music choice and dance barefoot on the deck under the blanket of stars. Those were wonderful trips...Carribean, Mediterranean and South Pacific.<BR><BR>Then the line expanded and was bought by Holland America. Everything changed. We still tried a few cruises since we enjoyed the itineraries and the small ship size and informality. But it was not the same. The quality of everything deteriorated. You had to pay for drinks, including soft drinks and bottled water, the food became formulaic and mediocre, the staff nice but not attentive. So the summer of 1999 on the Amalfi Coast was the last trip.<BR><BR>We found the ships were shabby, the beds uncomfortable, the linens quite tattered, the ship's appointments not in great shape. Despite this we tried again with Spain and Portigal in 2000, only to be disappointed. So we're done with Windstar.<BR><BR>However, that said, friends went on the ship they acquired from Club Med and refurbished and said it was sparkling and lovely. They did a Carribean route and were very happy.<BR><BR>

rea May 18th, 2002 04:57 AM

I am considering a wierd choice maybe you can help.<BR>I cannot decide between a Windstar cruise in the carribean or a overwater bungalow in Bora Bora.<BR>I know they are two opposite sides of the world but they are the only places I could get for a romantic honeymoon on a high season. Everything else is booked.<BR>I cannot decide ...Bora Bora is alot of travelling to get to but it looks like paradise. The carribean is beautiful but I don't know how this cruise is?<BR>Any suggestions, I could appreciate it.

[email protected] May 26th, 2002 05:30 AM

I would go with the Bora Bora option.<BR>Long flight but weill worth it!