Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   WINDJAMMER "MANDALAY" (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/windjammer-mandalay-20865/)

Lori Brandt Jan 24th, 1998 05:57 PM

WINDJAMMER "MANDALAY"

Has anyone been on the Windjammer Barefoot Cruise ship the "Mandalay"? Did you fly into Grenada or Antigua? What islands did you visit? I have been on Windjammer's Polynesia and Fantome, both larger ships with more passengers - does this one seem too small? Were you bored with the tiny island stops? Were there any singles? Was the food "just OK" as it usually is on Windjammer? What was your overall opinion? I've been all over the Caribbean, but have not been to Dominica yet and especially want to go there.

Cheri Jan 25th, 1998 07:27 AM

Lots of Questions! We flew into Grenada, and out of Antigua, we visited Carriacou,Mayreau, Bequia, St. Vincent, Tobago Cays, Palm Is.,Isle de Saintes,Dominica,Martinique,St.Lucia..The ship wasn't too small for us, plenty of room to be alone esp. on the stern. Bored? No, we like quaint little islands with few people. We loved it. The food was good, no real complaints except that there was no choice at dinner. We've been on a few WJ's since and now they offer a choice, so maybe Mandalay does too. Opinion of the trip? Our fave of all the WJ's we've been on. Hope I helped!

Kim Jan 27th, 1998 06:50 PM

We're looking at Windjammer for a honeymoon. We are into the not so populated islands and also want to snorkel. Any suggestions on which would be best? What type of food do you get? What does "just okay" mean? Did you feel like the employees on the ship were fun?

Cheri Jan 31st, 1998 10:19 AM

We love Windjammers. Have been on several and have 2 more booked. The snorkeling was great on the Mandalay and the Flying Cloud. On the Polynesia it wasn't as good. The beaches weren't as good either. I suggest you try www.windjammer.com and link down to their BBS. It is quite active and you can get tons of info there. Or email me!

ps..I thought the food was great...you just don't get a big fancy menu with several options. They may ask you in the AM if you want chicken or fish tonight. No big deal. Everything was great. They especially have great bread and soup.

Jean E. Bowers Feb 10th, 1998 11:00 AM

I was on the Polynesia in May of 1996. I loved everything about it. We visited a great selection of islands. We started out in St. Maarten and went to Nevis, St. Kitts, St.Barths and Anguilla. Esch island had its own personality and points of interests. A lack of places to go and things to see not a chance. The morning meetings with the Activities Director told us of our options. Every day there were several trips at differing activity levels offered. You could run a tab of the trips and stuff from the sea chest store and pay up at the end with a credit card or cash. The Activities Director and I became friends and have written back and forth since then. Kristine is now on the Legacy out of Puerto Rico. The food was very good and yes you do have a selection with the respect to the meat or fish. The cabins are kept spotless as are the common areas. This was my second Windjammer Cruise and I will do it again. To me there is no place like the Caribbean and no better way to enjoy it than from the deck of a four masted sailing ship.