Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   windjammer landing - ALERT (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/windjammer-landing-alert-572847/)

virginia Nov 26th, 2005 04:52 AM

windjammer landing - ALERT

i just got an email from my girlfriend who timeshares a unit at windjammer. they are on island but have been informed that windjammer has had a mudslide. owners only are allowed at the resort presently. the restaurants are closed. part of the beach is missing and some watersports are unavailable. if you are headed there any time soon i advise a call to check on conditions!!!

flycatcher06 Nov 26th, 2005 07:43 AM

hi there, if anyone had additional info please post it We have a tripped planned for Februaryu vacation and now i am very worried. I know that they have been having alot of rain! Thanks

virginia Nov 26th, 2005 08:22 AM

flycatcher, if i hear any more info from my friend i will definetly post again.

marymarra Nov 26th, 2005 09:14 AM

oh dear, we are booked for March; thanks Virginia for any further info. you may be able to provide. I hope no one was hurt.

thanks again,

Mary

marymarra Nov 26th, 2005 09:16 AM

those tracking this situation should see the post entitled Royal Rex; it is also about Windjammer

Mary

marymarra Nov 26th, 2005 09:17 AM

oops, Royal by Rex

sorry

flycatcher06 Nov 27th, 2005 06:32 AM

I just called their 800 number and was told that yes they are closed and that they will reopen on December 22nd. There is evidently alot of landscaping damage - they would not say there was any structual damage and i forgot to ask about the beach but she said there was alot of heavy equipment on site and it was better not to inconvenience the guests! I feel so badly for that girl who was supposed to have her wedding there next week. hope this helps.

marymarra Nov 27th, 2005 08:20 AM

Flycatcher--thanks for this info; I would also love to hear from someone who has been there who can give an impartial assessment of the damage.

Mary in D.C.

travelnfam Nov 27th, 2005 01:00 PM

I just got back from the Windjammer Friday the 25th. Yes they are closing to incoming arrivals for one month starting today. The beach is fine. The watersports are fully avaliable the landscaping is basically ok. Three large villas at the bottom of the hill were heavily cracked with land slipage. When we were leaving they were demolishing the 3 cracked villas. The big pool at the bottom of the hill was flooded but they had it cleaned out by the time we left. The kitchen at Jammers was also flooded so the only restaurant open was Papa Dons. As long as you have a villa to stay in I think everything will be ok in one month. They did a great job dealing with the situation and made our stay very good in spite of the flood damage. Feel free to ask me any specific questions we have true first hand information.

Shawn Snyder

marymarra Nov 27th, 2005 03:21 PM

Shawn, thank you so much for the info; I realize they have had a most unfortunate thing occur, but am glad I'll have a place to go in March. Hope it didn't impact you and your family too much. thanks again for the update--

Mary

Caribbean_Lover Nov 28th, 2005 07:17 AM

Dear Shawn
Thanks for your message. I and some friends are due to go out in January. We are owners and have told that our villas are unaffected and that the problems were down at the beach. The resort seems determined to get everything back on track in time for Christmas - it must be very difficult for them as we are about to go into the high season. We cannot get refunds on our airfares so are going out anyway!

starfish1 Nov 28th, 2005 12:53 PM

ttt for Lily2345

travelnfam Nov 29th, 2005 05:03 AM

Hello! My husband Shawn has already posted a response, but I also wanted to add my two cents. For those of you who are hesitant to book at the Windjammer or have booked and are reluctant, rest assured the resort will be back to normal by Dec 22nd. There weren't "mudslides", there was some slippage which caused the three villas closest to the lobby to crack, which caused some electricity and drainage issues. All the other villas are fine. The rest of the resort looks completely normal. We stayed there an entire week after this occurred and had a wonderful time! I can't imagine how nice it would be operating under normal conditions. They went out of their way to make sure we enjoyed ourselves. Closing the resort for a month was the smart thing to do as you cannot have bulldozers demolishing villas while guests are trying to enjoy the peace and quiet. The resort staff was more than accommodating and we will definitely return sometime in the future! Hope this helps put to rest any fears you may have.

Lily2345 Nov 29th, 2005 09:36 AM

Travelnfam-

How does the beach look after all of this?

marymarra Nov 29th, 2005 09:46 AM

travelnfam--thanks for taking the extra time to post again with your good news! Just a quick question, did you do all-inclusive on the meals--have read varying opinions on that issue.

Thanks again,

Mary in D.C.

Lily2345 Nov 29th, 2005 10:25 AM

Travelnfam-

Do u know how the Jalousie Plantation is compared to the Windjammer? I know its more expensive and farther away from the airport we're flying into! Anything else? Hesitant to book Windjammer with the situation going on. I'm i'm currently booked @ Almond Morgan Bay which was supposed to be totally renovated and done by Nov. 15th...By the looks of pics i've seen they're no where near complete and our trip is booked for early Jan...So we're cancelling and re-booking elsewhere. But to re-book @ a hotel which is also having problems is not comforting...This first hand info really basically makes it or breaks it because the reps @ the hotel can def give you false info!!! Thankss

Lily...NY

travelnfam Nov 30th, 2005 05:25 AM

lily2345,
The beach was not harmed, eroded or damaged at all. We spent everyday on the beach...it was beautiful! Re: Jalousie...don't know much about it except for the location. The location is spectacular and you can't beat the view...you've got the Pitons at your doorstep. You can see it from the Ladera Resort which sits atop the mountain between the Pitons. We read about Ladera in Conde Nast (best resort in the world) and decided to stop there for lunch on the way to airport. It was BEAUTIFUL. I would need to know your reason for going in order to recommend a place. Ladera and Jalousie are perfect for honeymooners, not very kid friendly. Ladera has an age minimum of 16. You're near the town of Soufriere, but not much going on outside of the resort. I could say a lot about Windjammer because it is so unique. My husband, daughter (20 months) and I fell in love with it. We saw lots of honeymooners and several families with young children and older children. We also saw retired people. Windjammer is great because you have your own private villa, but you still have all the amenities of a resort. The sunsets are beautiful. You are very close to Castries and Rodney Bay - both great nightlife and shopping. There is a great dive operation on the beach at Windjammer. There is so much to do on the resort itself. I would think it would be finished by January. They're trying to open for all their Christmas business. Everyday they are closed, they are losing money so I'm sure they're trying hard. Like I said before, all of the problems are concentrated around the three cracked villas. There were no visible problems anywhere else. It is good you cancelled Almond Bay. We passed it on the way to Windjammer and there were two huge lines of cars parked on the sides of the street near the entrance...construction crew cars. It was very obvious they were still under heavy construction. Re: Windjammer...when you call to get info or book reservations, always talk to a manager. The reservation desk is helpful, but the managers are more up to date on the progress. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

marymarra,
We did the all-inclusive and are so happy we did. We definitely got our money's worth on the deal. We thought we'd be going outside the resort a few times to have dinner, but once we were there we really didn't want to leave. We had every single meal there and it was so nice not to have to worry about paying for it. You still have to sign a check since there are people who choose not to do the AI deal, but it is very hassle-free. It was very nice to eat and drink whatever you want. I would definitely recommend it.

Caribbean_Lover Nov 30th, 2005 06:34 AM

Thanks for the update, I feel a bit happier now! I love the resort and this is the first time in 10 years that we have ever had a problem of this nature. There are all sorts of rumours coming out of the island at the moment about the Windjammer so it is good to get realistic feedback.

marymarra Nov 30th, 2005 10:27 AM

travelnfam--thank you so much for the info; I think we'll do it--we, too, always have grand plans to do dinner out, but we are there to relax and it is so much easier to just order what you want right there!

Glad you have fun,
]
Mary in D.C.

Caribbean_Lover Dec 1st, 2005 12:24 AM

You can choose to do a 3-day all-inclusive package there and then have some independence. Most restaurants off resort are a 10-15 minute drive and the nearest centre for them is Rodney Bay. Once there stroll down the strip and select the restaurant you want. Razamatazz is a great Indian restaurant and there are plenty others. Lots of people like Buzz. In Vigie Cove there is the Coalpot and Froggy Jacks. Both are good with lovely settings over the water.

For cheap food and entertainment, the Triangle and the Lime in Rodney Bay do local food and drink and have entertainment most nights.

Thanks to all the feedback I am really looking forward to my holiday now. We will make the best of it whatever!

Thanks to all.

CL