Reload this Page >

Best/Bad All Inclusive (AI) experiences: Advice Needed

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 11:45 AM
Thad Hunkins

My wife and I (mid 30s) will be heading to the Caribbean or Mexico this summer for our first vacation (1 week) away from our 3 kids in a long time. Since we travel a lot (lots of sightseeing), we're looking forward to a relaxing worry-free paradise. <BR> <BR>Yeah, we'd like to be spoiled for a week. <BR> <BR>We've never done an AI resort, so we don't really know where to start... <BR> <BR>Any advice would be appreciated... <BR>Recommendations and/or places to avoid would also be great... <BR> <BR>thanks a lot, <BR>Thad

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 12:46 PM
TRAVELER

When looking at AI resorts do not look "cheap". The resorts will cut costs on food and drink, that's a big part of what you are going for. <BR>My husband and I have been to AI in Bahamas, Turks and Jamaica. They have all been great. I love the AI type resorts, nothing to worry about, just relax. <BR>We really loved Beaches Turks. We didn't take our 3 kids even though at that resort we could have. There was enough space so that the kids that were there didn't really bother us. In fact we hardly saw any kids. Many restaurants fantastic food! <BR>In Nassau we stayed at Breezes, very casual relaxed resort but only 2 restaurants. Good food but I think it would get boring after more than 4 nights. Also stayed at Sandals in Bahamas, very beautiful, lots of restaurants. Small beach, you take their boat just across the bay to their other beach and another bar,pool and restaurant. Formal resort. <BR>We have been to a lot of the AI resorts in Jamaica. I liked both Grand Lido Braco and San Souci. Braco was a younger crowd than San Souci. San Souci was a little too quiet even for us old mid 40's couple but our room was fantastic! <BR>We stayed at Couples Ocho Rios, didn't really like that resort. The staff just didn't seem happy, something was going on. No one really wanted to go out of their way for anything. Dirty dishes in the hall way for over 24 hours, that really bothered me. Had to wait 20 minutes for a cup of coffee after dinner and then got a rude comment when we asked a third time. <BR>Also have stayed at Sandals Ocho Rios and Montego Bay. I have to say that the Sandals staff really know how to treat their guests. Very welcoming and do what is needed to make you happy. <BR>We also took our 3 children to Jamaica this past summer. Stayed at FDR first, the kids LOVED it! The beach is small but the staff makes it so fun for everyone it more than makes up for the beach. We moved to Pebbles for the last 3 nights of our trip. Don't go there. Terrible food, terrible beach, terrible staff, we all hated it and wanted to go back to FDR. <BR>Back to your question, Yes do AI resorts but remember you get what you pay for.

Old Jan 14th, 2001, 05:52 PM
Kim

We also hve done AI in Jamaica and the Bahamas. We have been to the Sandals resorts on both Islands and loved both of them. Are going to St. Lucia in Feb to the Sandals resort also. We are definately Sandals people, the resorts are no fuss worry free resorts. A wonderful place to just rest and relax and veg in the sun. Jamaica is my favorite place so far. Email me if you like.

Old Jan 15th, 2001, 09:19 AM
Donna

My husband and I often do AI for various reasons but not because we never leave the resort. It really depends on what you want to do on your vacation. If you plan to not leave your resort, I agree with the other respondant - you get what you pay for. If you plan on eating some meals off the resort, don't worry so much about the cost. We usually eat 2 dinners off the resort and maybe 2 or 3 lunches. We found the food at most place to be good or great and have only been disappointed at one meal in four vacations and we always choose a resort based on rooms, excursions and beach (never the most expensive ones). Our favourite so far has been the El Dorado Resort and Spa in Kantenah Mexico (about 1-1.5 hours south of Cancun)

Old Jan 22nd, 2001, 04:42 PM
Mark

We have done 4 AI's on 3 islands. The Bushiri in Aruba, Pineapple Beach in Antigua, Whyndam Morgan Bay in St Lucia and Galley Bay in Antigua. One thing is clear to us so far and that is you do get what you pay for. All 4 were good times but the latest to Galley Bay Antigua was exceptional! To rate the 4 Tops was Galley Bay then Pineapple Beach <BR>Whyndam Morgan Bay and finally Bushiri. <BR>WMB would rate even with PBC but the beach at WMB was not the greatest. Galley Bay was pure pampering. tremendous food the menu changed daily! <BR>Something you don't always see in AI's. <BR>The booze was all name brands another thing that you don't see in the lower priced AI's. If you want to be spoiled <BR>Galley Bay will certainly do that for you! At any rate use the web to get as much feedback as you can before you book <BR>anything. And once again You Do Get What <BR>You Pay For!