Wilma's Effect on Bahamas

Old Oct 25th, 2005, 02:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wilma's Effect on Bahamas

Anyone know if Hurricane Wilma caused damange in the Bahamas? We are travelling to Harbour Island on November 5th and are wondering if our plans need to change.

Thanks for any info. The satellite maps of Wilma yesterday made it appear that the winds hit parts of the Bahamas.
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 07:43 PM

I am wondering the same thing! I have a honeymoon booked on Paradise Island Nov. 26th. I haven't been able to find out anything from the internet. I'm going to call the resort we are staying at tomorrow. If the phones are working! Good luck!
Old Oct 25th, 2005, 08:33 PM

I know Grand Bahama took a bit of a hit from Wilma, but I don't think the hurricane took much of a toll on Nassau or Eleuthera (Harbour Island).

For Harbour Island you might try the www.briland.com website and ask, or check www.myharbourisland.com and www.eleu.net

For Nassau you might try the www.nassauguardian.com. That is the website for the Newspapaer on Nassau.

Nassau is about 100 miles away from Grand Bahama and Eleuthera is about 60 miles from Nassau, so I think they were far enough away from the damage path.

Have a great time on HI in November, and again, let me know if you have any other questions.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 01:45 AM
Original Poster

I called Coral Sands on Harbour Island yesterday and they reported that Wilma didn't impact them at all. Densgal, if that's the case, I would think Nassau only had minor damage and that your honeymoon will be perfect. Enjoy your wedding day!

Wantsomesun, I'll post some last minute questions early next week. Looks like our business trip in Miami will hold up although the hotel is closed until next Tuesday.
Old Oct 26th, 2005, 07:16 AM

THis sure has been one bad year for storms, and with the damage done in S. Florida, it looks like the Ft. Lauderdale area is going to be without power for quite a while. I have family in the area and still have not heard from them. They live right on the intercoastal, and I know alot of homes were badly damaged in the area.

Who would have thought we would run out of Hurricane names scarey.

I think you are going to be very happy staying at Coral Sands. The resort is very nicely done and the beach is spectacular. It is the largest hotel on island, but only has 36 rooms so you won't feel crowded.

Have a great time.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:02 AM

We have friends that live in the Ft. Lauderdale area. Our friends that live in Lauderhill got power last night. Our friends that live in Oakland Park still don't have power.
Old Oct 27th, 2005, 07:54 AM

My family lives right on the intercoastal, and some of pictures of homes that have been on the news are badly damaged. I am so hoping that everything is ok with them, but still have not heard anything. They are both medical professionals so I'm guessing that they have been called in to help at one of the local hospitals.

Keeping my fingers crossed that they are all ok.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 08:10 AM

I am supposed to be in Freeport/Lucaya on Nov.16, via cruise ship. Have been able to get very limited info on this destination thru TV News Channels regarding WILMA, no info, as yet, from the cruise line. Had planned to visit Garden of the Groves, Lucaya National Park and International Market. Anyone have any info on this port or these sights?
Thanks in advance,
Sandy
Old Oct 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM

There was some damage to Grand Bahama from Wilma, but I don't think much to the tourist areas.

You might go to www.bahamas-mon.com on the Freeport page and ask.

Have a great time.