Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Wilma, Alpha and Bermuda (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/wilma-alpha-and-bermuda-566265/)

threehearts Oct 22nd, 2005 05:35 PM

Wilma, Alpha and Bermuda

I wonder if fellow Fodorites could help me. My older parents are headed to a golf tournament this coming Monday for one week at Pompano. My Dad has a serious illness but it is more of a "when it happens, it happens" type of thing so my folks are trying to enjoy their time together as much as possible. This trip means a great deal to them but they are more than willing to cancel if it looks like Bermuda may be in the path of disatrous weather and if being stranded is a possibilty. I have looked at the projected path maps and it looks to me like Alpha and Wilma will skirt Bermuda. Pompano has no new info. on their site and I didn't expect any. The weather channel has predicted rain every day that they are there which makes a golf tournament kind of tricky. They are to fly Continental on miles from Boston to Newark and then EWR to BDA on Oct. 24th. Any thoughts that may help them to make a reasonable decision? Thanks very much in advance and of course I realize that their problem is nothing in comparison to those directly in the path of these hurricanes. Much appreciation, Threehearts

Tuxedocat Oct 22nd, 2005 07:33 PM

Wow. When someone has a serious illness, I think anyone would be reluctant to advise them as to what to do with his/her life. I say this as something purely meant as a thought... I think that if there are no other major weather systems on the path to Bermuda, they are reasonably safe... as safe as they would be any other time of year. Your dad sounds like a survivor and a hero. The weather channel is not always right and given the circumstances, isn't it just about spending valuable time with the ones you love? I think he and your mom will be just fine. A little rain but they'll be in Bermuda and they'll be together.

daisyblue Oct 23rd, 2005 04:30 AM

I live in Bermuda and can happily say that the Gov't here takes wether warnings very seriously - so we are updated regulalry. So far there has been no panic. For now everyone says we'll just get some wind and rain. You may want to moniter www.weather.bm

threehearts Oct 23rd, 2005 05:16 AM

Thanks so much. I really appreciate the advice. As far as my father's illness, he will be relatively healthy until he dies and so my folks are trying to live full lives until that time. Have a pleasant Sunday. Threehearts

virginia Oct 23rd, 2005 07:31 AM

two other sites you can monitor are www.stormcarib.com {a site with on island weather watchers} and www.wunderground.com/tropical {has excellent easy to read storm prediction maps}. i agree the tracks appear as if the will avoid bermuda.
try calling the resort, as opposed to web site.