Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Why so little about St. Kitts and Nevis?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 09:20 AM
John Grant

<BR>My wife and I are going to Nevis in February. We have picked a place to stay (Cades Bay) and plan to rent a car. I hear the islands are beautiful and "laid-back."But little info from veteran travelers. Are they hard to get to, or not good to visit?

Old Sep 6th, 1999, 04:17 PM
Tom

Hey, I've been to both... a couple years ago, I stayed at Oulie Beach Hotel on Nevis. It was my first trip to Caribbean. I've since been to Virgin Gorda, Tortola, Bonaire, Curacao, Grand Cayman, Belize, Cancun... each for a week. Nevis was a very nice place. Scenic, quiet, laid back. It's a little inconvenient to get to, but worth it. We flew into St. Kitts then took a puddle jumper plane over. The Four Seasons has built a fabulously elegant resort there, so extravagant that Conde Nast named it one of the best in the world. Very expensive too. Drive around the island, see the sugar cane fields, the old plantations, the cliffs and crashing surf on the "other side" of the island. And take the boat over to for a day on St. Kitts... go to the top of some mountain where there's an old fort, views are spectacular. <BR> <BR>You'll have a good time.

Old Sep 7th, 1999, 09:29 AM
debbie

Ditto on the above posting. Think about it - if it was where Princess Diana went for her vacations, imagine how private it is! <BR>

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 03:35 AM
LauraS

I also love St. Kitts. We chose it because it is not as touristy-oriented as some of the other islands. It, and its sister island Nevis remain laid back, beautiful places with friendly people and very little crime. What more could you want? We stayed at Ottley's Plantation Inn and loved it. It is not on the beach (but few places are), but the views are fabulous and the staff go out of their way to make sure that you enjoy your stay. We can't wait to return soon!

Old Sep 24th, 1999, 03:50 AM
Laura

John, those of us who love St. Kitts and Nevis are keeping it a secret! If we let everyone know how great they are, they will lose what we love best about them - they are not overrun with tourists. <BR> <BR>So, don't tell anyone about them! <BR> <BR>Laura

Old Sep 30th, 1999, 06:37 AM
krista

I agree with Laura, we do keep it a secret, we don't want people to find out about our secret place.... I have been to St Kitts 7 times. I have traveled to many other islands but always go back to St Kitts, nothing can keep me away. I have gone for the past 7 years and plan to go every year for the next 20 at least.... I love the place. <BR> <BR>If you go you will not be dissappointed. Everyone loves it, both st kitts and nevis are laidback, the people are so very wonderful and I assure you that you will have nothing but wonderful memories to bring back with y ou! <BR>Krista

Old Oct 27th, 1999, 05:57 PM
chris

John, <BR>Cades Bay is new and neat. It will remind you of a bungalow motor court on route 66... individual buildings lined up along a cliff. South of you is Tequilla Sheila's - a fun place for a local evening. To your north is Cliffdwellers were you take a four person tram up a mountainside to some of the finest (and most expensive) dining on the island. Cades Bay has no beach but you'll be welcomed at Oulie Beach Club or Nesbitt's Plantation. Rent a car and enjoy the island. South of the Four Season's Resort you'll find Pinney's Beach (Sunshine's Beach Bar & Grill). The People are wonderful and you will get all sorts of suggestions from the citizens on how best to spend some time getting to know their beautiful island. JUST DON"T TELL ANYONE ABOUT IT WHEN YOU GET HOME. You'll understand the need to keep this paradise a secret once you've been there. <BR>Getting there is difficult via San Juan and St. Kitt but that too adds to the impression that you have found paradise. Nevis Express is the airbus between St. Kitts International Airport and Nevis airport. Nevis airport is nearby Cades Bay.