Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Why haven't I heard more people talk about vacationing in Puerto Rico (with children)?

Search

Why haven't I heard more people talk about vacationing in Puerto Rico (with children)?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I have decided not to invest in over $700 for passports right now (and then the extra fees to rush them), so we are thinking of fun, warm places to go on American soil. We are considering going to Puerto Rico this summer for a vacation w/our 4 children, ages 3, 10, 12, and 14. I was looking at VRBO, and every place I look at seems to have availabilities, and the prices seem very reasonable. Then I started thinking that I don't know of anyone who has actually taken a vacation there. Is there something undesirable about Puerto Rico? Am I missing something here? Even on here on Fodors, it doesn't seem like there are as many posts on Puerto Rico.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:05 AM

Go for it. I think you will find Puerto Rico just wonderful. We like it because, with the Spanish language, we feel like we are in another country without leaving the USA (not that we do not travel to other countries, we do). It has great food, wonderful music, good hotels, nice beaches, a fantastic rain forest to visit, friendly people. Try it.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:18 AM
GoTravel

Your passports would have been a waste if you only want to go to Puerto Rico.

Great island! The airport is a hub for the caribbean so finding direct flights is very easy and you don't have to fly on a prop jet.

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 08:21 AM
GoTravel

Sorry, I thought you said you did invest in passports.

Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:52 AM

We love Puerto Rico- have not been with our daughter yet, but would go with her. The westin rio mar looks like a great place to take kids.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 09:56 AM

Note that the Westin Rio Mar (which by the way was a wonderful place to stay with a great beach and pool area) has been taken over by Wyndham effective I think as of this month (maybe May)....hopefully Wyndham will maintain it or improve it.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:52 PM

I don't have children but if I did I would not hesitate traveling with them to PR. After all, it's the only non-stop Caribbean flight from our airport!

PR has lots to offer, including the only rain forest in US territory. Old San Juan offers amazing architecture, incredible history. There are great restaurants throughout San Juan. And the offshore island of Vieques offers some of the Caribbean's most incredible beaches plus the incredible bioluminescent bay which is perfect for children.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
We just took our two kids to PR for spring break. It is has reasonably priced airfares, nice hotels, good food, and friendly people, and is the US like everyone mentioned..so easy.
We stayed at the Caribe Hilton and had a great stay. (My kids are 12 and 14 like yours.)
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:22 PM

We stayed at the Caribe Hilton with our son when he was a 2 or 3 (he's 5 now). We had a great time.
Old Apr 17th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Brutforce

There are several recent trip reports on here as well. We traveled there w/our daughter about 3 years ago. We may return this Fall.

Old Apr 18th, 2007, 11:27 AM

We went to Puerto Rico and Vieques for Thanksgiving last year. Our kids (16 and 10)loved the beaches, biobay, rainforest and snorkeling in the warm crystal clear water.
Hire a car and don't spend all your time in a resort. Luquillo is a gorgeous beach. You can visit the rainforest and hike to the waterfall without a tour guide (your 3 yr old might find this hard as it's slippery and takes maybe an hour to hike back (up)... slightly quickly to get there)
Old Apr 18th, 2007, 06:58 PM

We went to Puerto Rico 3 years ago with our kids, then 6 and 8. We stayed at the Westin Rio Mar. It was quite nice and family friendly. We went to El Yunque (the rain forest) and wandered around Old San Juan. It was a good trip.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM

highflyer,
Do you know if you HAVE to take a guided tour to the Biobays?If I go to Vieques,I would like to explore them own my own if possible.

Thanks!
Christie
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 01:11 PM

we're going to PR for our fifth time next month, not because of the passport issue, we have those, but because with kids it's an easy direct flight. no changing planes.

we've stayed at the Westin, palmas del mar and San Juan. it's a great place and friendly people, enjoy.
Old Apr 19th, 2007, 07:14 PM

just learned tonight that elconquistador has a cataraman that brings their folks to vieques for the biobay tour(not sure ifit is the boat or kayaks)
I have not seen this before but pulled into the docks around 6 pm tonight. saw it also on tues. night also and was not sure what it was. nice service as no one provides trips to the vqs biobay that take you back the same night.
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Christie,
I don't know of any laws dictating whether or not you can explore the biobays on your own but practically it wouldn't be easy.
I went with Island Adventures and to get to the boat we took a windy, potholed beach 'road' in the dark... no visible signs and it was single track for the most part with vegetation brushing the bus on both sides.
When we reached the water there was very little space to park and the bus left to pick up the people for the later trip that evening.

We really enjoyed our experience and it didn't feel like we were with a crowd of people except when we were invited to swim under the boat in single file where the total darkness intensified the bioluminesence.
The rest of the time we were spread out around the boat and because of the darkness we barely noticed the other people

Island Adventures are very eco conscious and are trying to preserve the biobay by educating visitors and lobbying to avoid light pollution from any building around the bay.

If you tried this trip on your own you'd have to get to the bay before dark... get chewed by mosquitoes at dusk and risk getting lost on your return.

Old Apr 20th, 2007, 07:42 AM

windy = winding!
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 09:36 AM

One small correction about El Yunque - it is not the only Rain Forest in the US. Hoever, you can see from this that it is very unique:

"The Caribbean National Forest, known as El Yunque, is located in the rugged Sierra de Luquillo, 40 km southeast of San Juan (latitude 18º 19’ N, longitude 65º 45’W). Get its name from an Indian spirit Yuquiye, which means "Forest of Clouds", that gave the mountain that dominates the 28,000 acre of tropical forest. It is the only tropical forest in the United States National Forest System. Originally set aside in 1876 by the Spanish Crown, the Forest represents one of the oldest reserves in the Western Hemisphere. With over 240 species (26 species are found nowhere else) of trees and plants, give reason to the government of Puerto Rico to spend a great deal of moneymaking to preserve floral species and animals that are on the verge of extinction. The total area is 11,270 ha (75% of Puerto Rico virgin forest is here)."
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 11:22 AM

highflyer,
Thanks!I did not realize that it would be hard to get to.I will check into using Island Adventures.

Christie
Old Apr 20th, 2007, 03:35 PM

Christie,
We've been twice to the Bio Bay in Vieques. The first time it was through a tour. The second time, I asked at the guest house where we were staying and they gave us "directions." Yes, it was through a dark, unpaved "road". We came to a dead halt when a cow jumped in front of us (no kidding!). It was an adventure! But we did find it (at night) and "walked" right in. I say "walked" because what keeps the luminiscence (sp?) so strong is the high concentration of those creatures; and the high concentration is very much due to the bay being very stagnant. So when we walked right in, it didn't feel like walking into a beach, it felt like we were walking on soft, decomposing mud. I brought water shoes, so I was fine, but others in our party didn't and they thought it felt a little yucky. So, yes it can be done, but you need to decide if this sounds like the type of "adventure" you would want. The last time I was there was at least 8 years ago, so things may have changed quite a bit. We were the only ones at the bay that night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -