Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Why Does the Cayman Islands Westin Get Such Extreme Reviews? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/why-does-the-cayman-islands-westin-get-such-extreme-reviews-354083/)

citygirlmk Sep 1st, 2003 04:53 PM

Why Does the Cayman Islands Westin Get Such Extreme Reviews?

I'll be staying at the Westin in Grand Cayman next month and after reading such extreme (good and bad) reviews, I'm not sure I made the right choice in hotels. Is it the type of place you either really love or really hate???

TedTurner Sep 1st, 2003 05:14 PM

It boils down to your prior experiences, citygirl.
If you've never been to the Caribbean and never been to a nice resort, you'll likely leave the Westin thinking it's wonderful.
The more experience you have, the more you'll see that it's a poor value, and an opportunity lost for Grand Cayman and Westin.
The thing is, since there is no competiton for the Westin and Hyatt on GC, they can maintain their current mediocre levels of performance and still maintain high occupancy rates.

I wouldn't be surprised if the powers that be at Starwood and Westin were PAYING the Cayman government to keep that Ritz Carlton mired in red tape and far from being completed. If the RC or a Four Seasons opened on GC, the Westin in particular would be out a good deal of business.

There's nothing WRONG with the Westin. It's just that the rooms are not up to the standard you should expect for the price, nor is the service. The beach is great. Pool is OK. Location is good.

If the Westin were priced at 40% of what it is typically priced at, I wouldn't complain about it.

Knowing Sep 1st, 2003 06:55 PM

I think Ted put it pretty well. This was not our first trip to the Carribbean and after hearing how expensive GC was and how many loved it and whatnot, we went expecting that since we were paying to stay at the "best" available property that surely it would be wonderful. And it was not. The rooms were below average and there just wasn't anything special about the place. The pool is ok, but when they allow conventions to take over the pool area and you have put out a lot of money and then are told that 2 out of the 7 days you aren't going to use it...The beach is good sized and good location, but we live on the water so a beach is not a big deal to us, plus being fair skinned, we need shade -which you don't get on the beach. Additionally, drinks are VERY expensive and the staff needs help with customer service skills. We also prefer hotels where they have a bar open outside at night. I can stay home and have a drink with a piano player anywhere. I'm on vacation on an island because I want to be outside in the warm weather.

Shibumi Sep 2nd, 2003 04:01 PM

TedTurner hit the nail on the head with his post. He speaks the truth. If you didn't know any better you might think the Westin or Hyatt in GC are really nice hotels (I won't even mention the "Marri-ROT", as it is a complete and utter disappointment in every aspect). People who have experienced truly first class resorts in other parts of the Caribbean (or the world), however, will be sorely disappointed.

Cayman professes to target an "upmarket" tourist (read: one who can afford to part with big money), but fails to offer good value to this generally sophisticated customer. Bottom line is that those who know better will feel "ripped off" and most likely will not return.

KarenM Sep 2nd, 2003 05:04 PM

Ok, so the normal resort hotels don't cut it. So is there any alternatives if you want to go to Grand Cayman? How about renting a condo. Several people have mentioned that but which ones are good. Speak up all you seasoned travelers, tell us your secrets. Lot of us have no problem with eating breakfast and lunch from a condo and we can still go out for dinner.

kg Sep 4th, 2003 05:05 AM

KarenM:
I have booked a week stay at the REEF RESORT on the East End of the Island. I have seen nothing but great reviews for the place, and have dealt with their front desk and concierge in preparation for my trip, and have absolutely no concerns that it will be a fabulous vacation. Of course- it is on the "quiet" side of the island- so you'll need a car, and there are only about 60 units. You should look into this as a possibility.

Irene1 Sep 4th, 2003 05:16 AM

We have stayed at all the big hotel in Grand Cayman and like the Westin. It is inexpensive (relatively) if you book through a travel agent. Our most recent time (got back a week ago) we stayed in a condo on Seven Mile Beach. We like being on 7MB although some people prefer a more remote spot. There are many lovely condos there. I loved staying in a condo; I liked the convenience of having a kitchen for breakfast and lunch. We like having a pool that faces the beach (you know, swim in the Caribbean and then swim in the pool). I found caymanvillas.com to be a good source of info about many of the condos.