Best luxury resorts with kids clubs?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Need a few days to recharge the batteries. I'm looking for a great beach location with an excellent kids club for my almost 4 year old to spend a few hours in each morning while mommy just relaxes! Usually perfer smaller more quaint (yet top notch) accomodations - but for a short jaunt would look at other possibilites. I'm flying out of Charlotte - so anything with just 1 plane ride is a MAJOR plus! Thanks. Oh - and one other thing - while Mommy relaxes Daddy still needs to work - so high speed internet access is a must.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 01:24 PM

Hi labmom--we just flew Charlotte to Turks and Caicos; we didn't stay there but I saw the Kids Club at Grace Bay Club (you need to stay at the Villas) and it looked great; we stayed down the beach at Ocean Club which was wonderful, but I wouldn't call luxury (but very, very nice) and while the kids camp was fine, I couldn't call it excellent.

We've also used the kids club at Half Moon Bay in Jamaica (you'd have to check on the one flight) and it was great, too.

hope this helps,

Mary in D.C.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:17 PM

I second Grace Bay Club in Turks and Caicos.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. We have been to Provo several times and I was hoping to hit a new place. But to keep it simple we may just end up there again -
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 04:56 PM

labmom--another thought because it is a nice kids club, but I'm not sure it hits your "luxury" category is the Buccaneer in St. Croix; I doubt it is just one flight, but I don't know Charlotte very well (despite having spent 7+ hours there last Wednesday night--aahh, USAir), BUT it is a great kids club and the renovated rooms are supposed to be lovely. 4 is a great age to enjoy the Buc.

Mary
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 07:39 AM

Four seasons exuma. I'm sure its two plane rides but since you've already been to T&C I thought I'd make the suggestion. Have not been there but are considering it for travel next year with our toddler.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 09:44 AM

I would think that 2 plane rides is too much for such a short stay. I have found with my daughter years ago and now with my wife we need 5 full days (6 nights) even with 1 flight. From your home to the resort has to take 8+ hours (getting to airport, 2 hrs. before departure out of US 3-4 hour flight, wait for backage and getting to your room at the resort). Same on way home +/-.
Little Dix ( a little more intimate) and Caneel have good kids camps but with travel it needs 5 full days minimum, in my opinion.But what a trip.

Old Apr 5th, 2007, 01:08 PM

Labmom--
I was going to suggest the Buccaneer before MaryMarra did but was concerned about the "luxury" aspect. We love it but it's not the Ritz. Think nice country club and certain rooms are nicer than others.

I believe USAir flies directly to STX and back from Charlotte but only on Saturdays (We connected through there are our way back this past Feb.). You can fly Charlotte to SJU and then puddle jump on Cape Air over to STX. SMall planes and a fun ride.

And the internet connection at the Buccaneer is much improved. Worked (unfortunately) for my husband our entire trip this year.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. I actually went to the Buccaneer when I was a kid - now I am dating myself - I'll give it a look. Also looked into Caneel - but alas it is booked when we want to go. Islands that we can get to direclty from Charlotte include, St. Thomas (possible St. John stay), Provo (been there done that but might be talked into it again), Grand Cayman (haven't been to the main island in years and from what I understand it is way over crowded), Nassau (ditto), Bermuda (looking for an end of April get away and think it will be too cold), Jamaca( won't do it). What am I missing here??? I am thinking my daughter and I will stay for a week and my hubby can just come in for a few days - his loss.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:17 PM

Don't knock out Jamaica so fast. Some of the resorts are beautiful. Half Moon gets amazing ratings and has good kids programs. (we met a family when we returned from Jamaica that stayed there and said it was fantastic. There is also a very nice Ritz. Royal Plantation is also there but I don't know if they allow kids???. The cliff resorts are just beautiful, but not good with a little one and no programs. I agree with the direct flight thing...that's why we just returned from a trip away from the kids in Jamaica. There is luxury on Jamaica, just like any other island.
Old Apr 5th, 2007, 06:27 PM

I was going to say the same thing about Jamaica; Half Moon is beautiful; just talked with several families who just spent spring break there, said things are better than ever (rooms have just been renovated); it is also only about 20 minutes from the airport which is key with a little one.

Mary
Old Apr 6th, 2007, 04:55 AM
Original Poster

OK - I'll take a look at Half Moon. I just had a really bad experience in Jamaica that left me not wanting to return - but that was over a decade ago - perhaps I should take another look.
Old Apr 11th, 2007, 05:58 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Half Moon. We checked it out and were very impressed and will give it a whirl at the end of the month. We just had 8 inches of snow today and I can not wait to hit the beach! Thanks again for your help.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:03 AM

Let us know how it goes. Anything has to beat this nasty weather.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 01:38 PM

oh good; don't think you will be disappointed; BTW, we used their babysitters one night (which were women from the housekeeping staff) and she was lovely and we felt very comfortable leaving our daughter with her; that night we went to their restaurant, the Sugar Mill, which was great.

Thanks for reporting back, lots of people don't and one always wonders what people decided.

Mary