Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which resort in Grand Cayman? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-resort-in-grand-cayman-342564/)

honeymooner14 Jul 29th, 2003 06:38 PM

Which resort in Grand Cayman?

Which is the best resort in Grand Cayman? I assume the Westin, Hyatt, and Marriott are all on 7-Mile Beach...Which one has the best beach area? Which one has the best pool area (biggest, with plenty of chairs and a swim-up bar)? Which of these resorts within walking distance of other places, or is a car rental important?

TedTurner Jul 29th, 2003 07:52 PM

Westin has the best stretch of beach.
Hyatt has the best pools.
None of the resorts on Grand Cayman qualify as luxury resorts IMO based on rooms and service.

sunnydelite Jul 30th, 2003 04:25 AM

Marriott is nice..BUT there is very little beach there..No rocks ,but we werent impressed when we were there last (we rented a sunfish)and waverunner..red sail sports is out of there..The little strip of beach is very cramped..I hear the westin is great..Hyatt ok..
Beaches is a popular hotel..check that out..Its all inclusive though
I would rent a car.The rates are pretty cheap right now..I think I told u I am headed there Sunday..The rates are 23.00 a day for an economy..pretty reasonable actually..You will want to go to turtle farm and a place called "Hell" lol..its a fun trip..and buy some tortuga rum cakes! They are to die for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dont forget the tortuga rum factory too!!

Kristen Jul 30th, 2003 04:51 AM

I wasn't aware that there was a Beaches in GC. Are you you sure you're thinking about the right island or hotel?

Scott66 Jul 30th, 2003 05:03 AM

There is no Beaches Resort on GC that I'm aware of.

The Westin is without a doubt the best hotel on the island, but you will pay dearly for it.

It's been said several times on this forum, and I'll say it again, condos are the way to go on GC. We did a hotel on our first trip to GC, and then switched to the condo, and would never look back at this point.

Kristen Jul 30th, 2003 05:23 AM

which condo do you stay at?

travelingfool Jul 30th, 2003 02:47 PM

The Westin is the place to stay on GC. The Hyatt is across a very busy road from what is a very narrow and cramped beach.

sunnydelite Jul 30th, 2003 03:10 PM

Im sorry! I was thinking of the turks and caicos! my error!
Allegro is another all inclusive..

Knowing Jul 30th, 2003 05:16 PM

Go with the condo! The Westin does have a nice beach, lots of chairs and a swim-up bar, as well as being within walking distance to many restaurants, however, two days out of our seven, they had conventions using the pool area, which meant we, as non-conventioners, could not. You can stay at a condo and still eat all the gourmet food the island has to offer. AND, you'll have more money to do it with.

honeymooner14 Jul 30th, 2003 05:56 PM

What is the topography of Grand Cayman? Is it flat and arid?

Dee2 Jul 30th, 2003 07:31 PM

Yes, it's quite flat. The island itself is not pretty - my opinion - but the water and beach is some of the very best to be found.

Scott66 Jul 31st, 2003 03:53 AM

Best place to compare all resorts and condos is www.caymanvacations.com

You will find all the info, prices, & pictures you need. There is also a map that will show the location of each.

This will allow you to make a decision based on what's important to you, as well as location, and budget.

Once you have narrowed your choices down to 2 or 3, then maybe come back and get more feedback before your final decision.

Ike Jul 31st, 2003 07:32 AM

The Ritz Carlton is building a world class resort on Grand Cayman but it will not open until Summer of 2004 if then. I plan on being one of their 1st guests. Check it out on www.ritzcarlton.com. Good luck.

jkurtiak Jul 31st, 2003 09:34 AM

I have stayed at the Hyatt and I didnt think the beach was cramped but I am also from the Jersey Shore so anything less then 50 families surrounding me isnt cramped. We had alot of privacy though so I am not sure if that comment is true, we never had a hard time getting a chair at either the pool or beach. Also you dont have to cross the actual highway, there is a walk-way over the highway. The grounds of the Hyatt where amazingly beautiful. The pools (2) one on the beach side and one on the other where great. The staff was great. I didnt mind the 3 minute walk to the beach.

There are a few restaurants nearby to the Hyatt but I would suggest renting a car even if it just for a few days. We didnt and payed for cabs just because I couldnt drive on the other side of the road!

There is always a huge debate on this board about which is better. Since I havent stayed at the Westin I cant tell you but I did love the Hyatt and I wouldnt hesitate to stay there again
you'll love GC
JK

rwilliams Jul 31st, 2003 09:40 AM

The Ritz Carlton was supposed to open in the summer of 1997, then 1998, then 1999.....
There has been no progress in years.
I'll be glad to take bets from anyone out there who thinks it'll open in 2004.
The resort is bogged down in local political wrangling with no end in sight at present.

valerie Aug 5th, 2003 06:37 PM

In February we stayed at the Westin. I wouldn't say the hotel itself was amazing (it was fine), but the beach was fantastic. We took a scuba course at the Marriot and the beach was very narrow and small. And at the Hyatt you must cross the street to get to the beach.

honeymooner14 Aug 6th, 2003 09:21 AM

Thanks! It seems like the Westin wins for its beach area. How was their pool?

gplimpton Aug 6th, 2003 09:25 AM

Have you checked their website?
It has photos I believe.

honeymooner14 Aug 8th, 2003 06:18 PM

Has anyone stayed at Aqua Bay Club condos? How are they?