Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which resort for 45 year old couples????? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-resort-for-45-year-old-couples-505505/)

mzambo Feb 20th, 2005 07:56 AM

Which resort for 45 year old couples?????

Have never been to Jamaica, I realize some places it is better to be in an all inclusive than others, It sounds like Jamaica is one of them. If staying at an all inclusive, it MUST have premium liquor, I understand the Riu chain does not include premium liquor. Which resort do you reccomend for our age group? Looking at Couples possibly, but not sure which one? Other suggestions?

jaguide Feb 20th, 2005 08:43 AM

Why not look at www.bluefieldsvillas.com which is the website for some villas on the south coast. The Cottonwood cottage and Milestone are suited to 2 people and I beleive are around the same price as Sandals. If you have a favorite brand of Scotch...bring it ..other than that they will probably have what ever else you need. Private pools, maids, butlers,security.beachside.kayaks......Oasis Spa is 5 mins.down the road..written up in Skywritings... enjoy some great massages and treatments....
The result is an all inclusive Villa vacation where you still don't have to do anything.
Good Luck

Lisager15 Feb 20th, 2005 03:42 PM

Check out Jamaica Inn. We were there in January 2004 and really enjoyed it. . .

CaribbeanSoul Feb 20th, 2005 04:16 PM

We aren't AI fans, so I am not going to recommend it. But I can give a big endorsement to Idle Awhile on Negril Beach. Upscale accommodations and an unbeatable location. Experience Jamaica....don't go AI. You'll never regret it.

KimberlyO Feb 21st, 2005 05:58 AM

Check out the Grand Lido Negril by SuperClubs. One of the reasons we chose this resort was the premium liquor. They also have stocked mini fridges. And with 24 hour room service available (for delivery anywhere throughout the resort), you can order items not included in the fridge. I have also read good reviews for their food. They have a French and Japanese restaurant that sounds wonderful as well. We chose this resort for our wedding are headed there next week for ten days. We can tell you about our experiences upon our return.

kfusto Feb 21st, 2005 06:03 AM

I second the recommendation for Grand Lido Negril. We have stayed there 4 times and they offer premium liquor and very good food, along with service and very nice facilities.

Another AI you might consider is San Souci, also a premium resort.

If you will consider a non traditional AI, check out Moondance Villas. Luxury all the way but I am not sure about their liquor offerings.

In MoBay, Half Moon is quite nice and offers AI packages as an option. The grounds are very nice but when we stayed there the service was lacking.

TG Feb 21st, 2005 08:36 AM

To Caribbean Soul:

Am looking for a place to take my wife for 25th wedding anniversary and saw your post on IdleAwhile.
Can you share any additional info with me? How is the beach? What is access like from airport? We will travel from Connecticut what should we expect? Have you flown Air Jamaica?
Any other thoughts or suggestions would be most appreicated.
Thanks/Rich

CaribbeanSoul Feb 21st, 2005 09:32 AM

TG: Idle Awhile is a small inn on the nicest stretch of Negril Beach. It is located in between the Charela Inn and Coco La Palm. We are annual visitors to Coco La Palm, but have toured the grounds at Idle Awhile. My parents stay there when they travel to Negril. IA boasts the nicest accommodations on the beach and it has a very loyal following. The rooms are very spacious and well appointed with A/C. The grounds are very lush and the staff extremely low key and accommodating. There is small restaurant on site, beachfront, called Chill Awhile. They specialize in Ital (rasta) cuisine and other Jamaican fare. Splurge for the 1 BR beachfront (upper) unit and you'll have a 270 degree view of the beach and the sea. You'll not be disappointed. Check out their website by the same name. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Seamuis Apr 15th, 2005 02:45 PM

mzambo.. from what I have read the AIs have there money up front.. there is not as much incentive for them to serve you. They may tell you a paticular on-site resturant is booked for the night and you look in latter to find it is half full. It's juts one way to control costs. Jut like premium liquor, they may say they have it, but if you do not specifically ask for it you may not get it. If you do ask for it they may happen to be out of it.

I was considering Idle Awhile, but noticed they do not have a pool. Are there any places that compare that also have a pool? To have great rooms , be on the beach and near local places to eat is more important than a pool to me, but my wife would like a pool too... jeeesh.
I have not been able to find any place with reviews and rates like Idle Awhile.
Who needs a pool anyway with the ocean right there.

Anyone have any tips on booking flights for a November stay. There around $700 per person right now. Thanks! Seamuis.

CaribbeanSoul Apr 20th, 2005 05:46 PM

Seamuis: Coco La Palm is an excellent choice located right next to Idle Awhile. They have some beatiful JR Suites and 4 beachfront rooms right on the beach....haven't seen any rooms in Negril as close to the water's edge. I cannot recommend the place enough. They have 2 pools, one on the beach and the other in the courtyard. The staff is second to none! One of the best places we have stayed anywhere in the world.

cartera Apr 20th, 2005 07:13 PM

Negril is one of those places where you really can do without a pool - even if you love them. The ocean is like a huge warm pool. Take cheapy blow up floaties and you can float around just like in a pool or you can swim without fighting waves. We stayed at Coco La Palm and we probably saw 4 or 5 people in the pool all week and the place was packed.