Which Out Islands for a Couple

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are a 30 yr old couple and we enjoy excellent dining options, gorgeous beaches, diving, and a lot of relaxing. We're pretty content just reading on the beach all day then having an excellent meal, followed by relaxed cocktails at the bar with a great view or near the beach for night walks. In the past we have been to anguilla and loved it there, but want to try something new. We went to Harbor Island a few yrs ago and stayed at Ramora Bay and we really liked it there. We mistakenly only stayed 3 ngts on the island (the other time spent at Atlantis,which he hated!) so we didn't get to see/do a lot, but we really liked the pace. Now we are thinking about going back for longer Out Island trip and are trying to decide where to stay. I was thinking about splitting our time btwn 2 Out islands if it is feasible to easily get btwn them. I know we would like Harbor Island again, but I'm concerned that some of the other islands might be too laid back and lack in some of the amenities we like (option for massage, nice bar for cocktails at night, etc.).

Would love to hear anyone's advice. Thank you!!
Old Dec 28th, 2004, 11:59 PM

Four Seasons Exuma could be worth looking at.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 03:18 AM

While relaxation, amazing beaches, and diving can easily be found in the Out Islands, if it's fine dining you seek, many of the Out Islands will be a disappointment for you. During my trips to Eleuthera, the Abacos, and Cat Island, I can't say we experienced much in the way of fine dining -- while there is perfectly good food to be had, it is mostly along the lines of simple preparations of fresh fish, lobster and conch in casual settings. Certainly nothing on par with the dining on Anguilla. If fine dining is your priority, I would suggest St. Martin.

I don't want to put you off the Out Islands, for they truly are a wonder for the traveler who is looking to get off the beaten path and has relaxation and beaches on her mind. And there are probably a handful of resorts where the cuisine is top-notch. But, in general, the remoteness of the islands guarantees a certain dearth of options.
Old Dec 29th, 2004, 08:48 AM
GoTravel

How did Green Turtle fare after the hurricanes?

I love the Out Islands and we rent a boat and a condo when we go.

As far as fine dining goes, it doesn't get any better than a glass of wine (we bring wine and staples with us) and fresh fish!

Old Dec 29th, 2004, 11:25 AM

jenniemojo

Since you enjoyed your stay on Harbour Island why not return there, pamper yourselves, and spend the remainder of your time on Eleuthera with a rental car? You find a place to stay, or rent a house, and minimize your travel time. You'd probably loose the better part of a day connecting to other Out Islands.