Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   which month has a low heat index in Turks & Caicos (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-month-has-a-low-heat-index-in-turks-and-caicos-844609/)

drako Jun 12th, 2010 07:18 AM

which month has a low heat index in Turks & Caicos

Hello,

We are looking to vacation in Turks and Caicos but was wondering which month has the lowest humidity but still nice warm temps? Looking at some of the weather sites that have been posted in other threads it seems like the humidity is high right now giving a heat index up towards 100 degrees. (I understand it is a tropical island and we are in summer now). We were thinking of going this July but reconsidering due to the high temps. We will be traveling with our daughter who is 16 months old. I don't think she will handle that kind of heat very well which is why we were wondering which months are nice a warm but have a lower humidity. Obviously, she won't be in the water all day and will be playing and the sand and so forth so we were wondering if there is a time that has lower heat indexes. Don't want to spend all that money and have her miserable because she is uncomfortable in the heat and stuck in our room most of the day! I know the winter could be cooler there so don't know if that is the right time. We still want to be able to go in the ocean and enjoy ourselves with the warm temps but don't want to experience the extreme temps. Any advice? Thank you!

RoamsAround Jun 12th, 2010 06:09 PM

You are going to find the "Heat Index" for most Caribbean islands will be similar during any given period. In other words, if the Heat Index in July is high in the T&C's it will be similarily high in the BVI's or the Grenadines. And, Yes, your instincts are correct - you'll find lower humidity and lower temperatures in winter vs. summer.

Normally there's only about a 5 degree F. difference in average temperatures between the "cooler" northern islands and the "warmer" southern islands. You can research weather data for any period for any island at: www.wunderground.com.

Using the Travel & Activities dropdown menu select Trip Planner. Enter the airport code for your intended destination (for Providenciales in the T&C's it's PLS) and your planned dates of travel. You'll find answers to all your weather related questions. You can do this for any destination.

xkenx Jun 13th, 2010 03:42 AM

Avoid hurricane season (hurricanes, heat, humidity). T&C can experience low enough water temperatures mid-winter to affect snorkeling. End-of-November, December, and late March and April are probably best for you. If you are OK with high winter prices and 75 degree water, then all winter is fine.

virginia Jun 13th, 2010 06:14 AM

you don't say where you're from, but i don't think provo is any more humid in july than many places in the US.

blamona Jun 13th, 2010 06:39 AM

For me, heat and humidity are relative. I'm always hot, I have a friend , no matter what, is always cold and welcomes whatever heat she can get.

I live in Virginia, and I consider it one of the most humid states in the US. July in VA can be brutal, and actually get relief from going to the beach. Any beach.

In general, I find beaches to be a relief, maybe because there's always a breeze, or your next to water. T&C will be no hotter or more humid than say, Ocean City or VA Beach. What it does have is 1 plus: even in the hottest days, the sand in T&C, being bright white, never burns the feet--unlike beaches in US where you always have to have flip flops on or you burn the bottom.

8-)

Caribzack Jun 13th, 2010 06:01 PM

We have been in June, July & August and it has been WONDERFUL...sometime humid but, never a problem..just go and enjoy!

palamine Jun 18th, 2013 06:50 AM

Caribzack must not mind heat--maybe frequent dips in the water to stay cool. We live here, and if it were up to me, I would come between Dec. to end of April--much nicer weather. Otherwise, like you say, you may be stuck indoors as you don't want a fussy toddler. It is getting up to 90 every day now, and too hot to walk the beach (for me). However, I'm like Blamona and am usually warm, and I can't tolerate higher temps. Your call.

Caribzack Jun 18th, 2013 07:51 AM

This post is 3 years old...I assume the OP has made the trip...