Reload this Page >

Which islands have the best weather?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 08:12 AM
Kini

Aside from the ABC islands, which islands tend to have the best weather overall?...specifically November and December.<BR><BR>Many thanks!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:44 AM
islander

I wouldn't say that any island has the &quot;best weather.&quot; Each island has it's own characteristics and is beautiful all year round! <BR><BR>We were in Antigua this past October and the weather was perfect, if that helps.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 09:47 AM
shazam

How do you people survive on the internet incapable of doing even a simple search?<BR>Go to a search engine and type in &quot;Curacao&quot; and you get swarms of info.<BR>Oh well...<BR><BR><BR>The ABC's are only 60 miles apart from end to end. Weather differences are negligible. For monthly details go to weatherbase.com<BR><BR><BR>BONAIRE is blessed with one of the gentlest climates in the Caribbean , with very little rainfall (less than 22 inches annually) and a prevailing easterly trade wind that provides a constistent 15 mph (= 25 Kmh) breeze. This trade wind is also one of the coral reefs best friends and a major reason these reefs are among the most prolific in the world. When the wind blows constinuously from the same direction, one side of the island has &quot;rough&quot; water conditions (the windward side), the other side (the leeside) is almost always clam. Since Bonaire lies at a 90 degree angle to its trade winds, the island's western side (where you'll find all of the snorkeling operations) is always calm and protected.<BR>Not only does this provide perfect snorkeling conditions about 99% (no exaggeration) of the time, it also alows corals to grow prolifically in shallow water (rough water tends to knock some of the corals over, preventing them from attaining full growth). The low rainfall on Bonaire is also a blessing, since fresh water from rivers (there are no rivers on Bonaire) and rain runoff are enemies of the coral reef. Freshwater runoff almost contains sediments, which can harm the coral by literally smothering it.<BR>The average air temperature is 82º Fahrenheit (30ºC) and 75% relative humidity. Average water temperature is 80ºF (29ºC). <BR><BR>CURACAO Located in the tropics, just 12° north of the Equator -- and outside of the hurricane belt -- Cura&ccedil;ao has a warm, sunny climate year round. The average temperature is about 27° C ( mid 80s F). Refreshing trade winds blow constantly from the east, picking up in the spring months. The rainy season, October to February, is marked by short, occasional showers, usually at night, and continued sunny weather by day. Total annual rainfall averages only 570 mm (22 inches). Occasionally a tropical storm brewing elsewhere in the Caribbean can cause uncharacteristically cloudy weather for a day or two.<BR><BR>ARUBA In Aruba the newspapers almost never publish a weather report. They don't need to. Around here, &quot;sunny and warm&quot; is not news. With an average rainfall of less than 20 inches a year, an average daytime temperature of 82° Fahrenheit (27° Celsius), a location completely outside the hurricane belt, and the constant cooling influence of the trade winds, Aruba is one of the most temperate islands in the Caribbean. And just as comfortable in July as it is in January.<BR><BR>The difference between median day and night temperatures, and between summer and winter temperatures, is just 3.6°. The rainfall occurs mainly in short showers during November and December.<BR> <BR>

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 10:14 AM
Kini

Shazam...And how do you survive considering you can't even read? My question was &quot;ASIDE from the ABC islands...&quot; <BR><BR>And a simple search did not provide me with an answer to my question. I can read all the facts I want but I want people's firsthand opinions.

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:39 AM
islander

You go Kini! Don't you hate all the smarta**es on here?? You ask for peoples opinions and they tell you to do a search. I say, if you don't have an opinion then don't say anything at all!!

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 11:51 AM
Kini

Thanks Islander...and thank you for your reply. Isn't that what this board is here for, to ask questions and provide help to others? Doing a search will only get you so far plus if everyone did only that, there would never be any updated information.<BR><BR>Antigua is actually one of my choices for my weddingmoon next year. Grand Cayman is my top choice now but looking at the weather over the past month has made me a little nervous. I thought December was supposed to be nice but a couple of people have told me to hold off until January but I'd prefer not to do that due to the big jump in prices. I know Aruba would have great weather but we were just there last year and I'd like to go soemwhere different. <BR><BR>Where in Antigua did you stay?

Old Dec 26th, 2002, 02:24 PM
Islander

There shouldn't be a problem at all with the weather in Antigua in Nov/Dec. It is one of the islands that gets very little rain.<BR><BR>We were married at Sandals Antigua and it was perfect. I couldn't have asked for a better weddingmoon. I am not one of those &quot;Sandals Lovers&quot; but this resort really has a great laid back and romantic charm to it. It has incredible landscaping, an amazing beach...and it's so peaceful and relaxing you can hear yourself breathe!! We have never enjoyed ourselves (or each other) more than on this vacation. There is plenty to do as far as land/water sports and at night they have entertainment (usually a steel drum band). They also have a beach party once a week. But what is so great is you can join in or do nothing at all! And the resort is like having your own Caribbean village to hang out in. We loved it!<BR><BR>And as far as the wedding, it couldn't have been more perfect. We had no stress what-so-ever. They took care of everything and it was SO beautiful. I can't really put the experience or the place into words to describe it well enough! We truly enjoyed it!<BR><BR>Congrats and enjoy where ever you choose to go! And if you have any other questions, or would like me to e-mail you pics, just let me know!!

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 05:39 AM
sander

Aside from the ABC islands I would say Isla Margarita.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 07:22 AM
Anon

Island Girl,<BR><BR>I told of my WEATHER experiences,and also gave info for a great weather website. I think that is the information the poster was looking for, not Sandals info or inane babble.

Old Dec 27th, 2002, 09:05 PM
GM

Antigua would be good; my vote would be for Grenada, Margarita Island and Barbados moreso than Grand Cayman during Nov./Dec.<BR><BR>Hope the above helps.

Old Dec 28th, 2002, 01:55 PM
Lisa

Kini,<BR>We visited Grand Cayman this year from Dec 4-11, and the weather was gorgeous. We only had one day out of eight that it was a bit windy and not quite as nice. <BR>Completing your travel there by December 15 will save you some big bucks, too. <BR>If you are considering GC and it's still your number one choice, I hope you go. In my opinion, it holds the most beautiful scenery...<BR>Good luck!<BR>Lisa

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:19 AM
Kini

Thanks Lisa. I am surprised (but glad) to hear you had such great weather considering what the forecast showed for that week. <BR><BR>And thanks to everyone who responded. Most of your responses have been most helpful!

Old Dec 31st, 2002, 08:09 AM
timeka

dominican republic; absolutely beautiful all year 'round with the exception of mid-July-August, when it is terribly hot.