Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which islands for an extended vacation? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-islands-for-an-extended-vacation-1150767/)

Linds2611 Nov 12th, 2016 05:45 PM

Which islands for an extended vacation?

Hello - I'm reposting this as my original post seems to have disappeared?!? I am looking for recommendations on which islands/locations would be good to visit for anywhere between a month and 3 months from about March to June/July next year. It would be great to stay at two or three different places to experience the different landscapes and cultures etc. I've tagged a few places to hopefully get some interest in my post but I'm not tied into any particular islands.

Some info to give you an idea of what I'm after - I am an Australian woman in her 30s in need of a 'sabbatical'. I'm well-travelled, although I've never been to the Caribbean Islands (only the Caribbean coasts of Costa Rica and Panama). I don't need to work (I realise that I probably couldn't anyway) and I've got a pretty good idea of the likely expenses from my initial research.

I'd like to go somewhere that is away from the hustle and bustle but still has enough going on to hopefully make some social connections. I speak very basic French - enough to get by travelling through France and Quebec etc. It would be good to spend a month or so somewhere French speaking and another month or so somewhere English speaking.

As a single female I'd prefer somewhere relatively safe. I don't need luxury but, not being the handiest person in the world, it's probably best that it's not too basic either. 

I'm really just after somewhere I can swim in the sea, read books and walk around to get to most of the places I need to go (I realise I might have to end up getting some form of private transport). Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated!!

mnag Nov 14th, 2016 10:17 AM

I am a big fan of the Bahama out islands (for stunning beaches and safety) so I would suggest Elbow Cay. Its a small Cay in the Abacos. Its a cute little town where you drive around in a golf cart however everything is accessible if you stay in the main town. There are several cute cottages that are available for rent and beaches and restaurants in walking distance. Very safe. I just came back from Eleuthera (our third visit) and I would recommend the Governors harbor area on Eleuthera. However, because it is a long island (110 miles) things may be a bit more scattered. Although there are several restaurants, a library, grocery stores, cafes and beaches all in walking distance of the main town. Also very safe. The weather in the Bahamas is near perfect that time of the year.

WoinParis Nov 15th, 2016 12:54 AM

Look into Saint Martin.
Dutch side is US developed : big resorts malls luxury goods at proximity of harbour.
French side consists of small things not that many tourists great food.
On both sides English is widely spoken (could hardly find someone speaking Dutch in the Dutch side) and French is spoken on French side.
Island is not big so might help in your case or rent a wreck. My daughter found battered cars for 25 euros a day.

Linds2611 Nov 16th, 2016 06:22 PM

Thank you to you both. These suggestions seem to cover what I'm looking for and be different enough to offer some varied experiences. Whether they work out or not, I really appreciate having a great place (or places) to start!!