Search

Which Islands?!

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18th, 2019, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Islands?!

You may have seen my earlier post, but we're still debating islands.

My bf and I are traveling to the Caribbean for 5 days in March or April. We've tentatively decided on Curacao because we like the apparent laid back vibe. However, I wish there were more of a Rain Forest feel (I understand Curacao is arid and that desert is beautiful, but we're thinking jungle) My ideal would be something like St. Lucia or Dominica, but more affordable. The only issue is that all the islands that have the RF appeal and are withing our flight budget ($300 ish from Miami) seem to be very touristy. SO if any one has recommendations on places/areas to stay for an authentic feel in any of the following islands, I would really appreciate that. (our budget is ideally $800 for the entire 5 days- very doable on Curacao)

Puerto Rico (flying into San Jaun)
Jamaica (either airport)
Barbados (Bridgetown)
The Bahamas (Nassau)

Thank you!
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 06:07 AM

Which islands with rainforests are you under the impression are touristy? What research have you done on Nassau as it is a surprising choice for someone who doesn't want touristy and wants a rainforest. I can suggest Guadeloupe, I'm sure you will find it very untouristy with a great rainforest and national park. Dominica has very affordable accommodations, very authentic, to the point you might find them too authentic.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 08:14 AM

Many of the rain-forest-y islands are remote if you're coming by air (Grenada comes to mind). As an alternative, have you thought about Belize? Even Southwest flies there now, and it's pretty moderately priced once you arrive. You can choose between the beaches (which aren't all that), or the interior, which has rain forest.
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 01:34 PM

Neither Nassau nor Barbados has a rain forest. And Barbados is very expensive...
Old Jan 18th, 2019, 03:30 PM

Barbados is not "very expensive" unless you stay at Sandy Lane.
Old Jan 20th, 2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by amandaegan
You may have seen my earlier post, but we're still debating islands.

My bf and I are traveling to the Caribbean for 5 days in March or April. We've tentatively decided on Curacao because we like the apparent laid back vibe. However, I wish there were more of a Rain Forest feel (I understand Curacao is arid and that desert is beautiful, but we're thinking jungle) My ideal would be something like St. Lucia or Dominica, but more affordable. The only issue is that all the islands that have the RF appeal and are withing our flight budget ($300 ish from Miami) seem to be very touristy. SO if any one has recommendations on places/areas to stay for an authentic feel in any of the following islands, I would really appreciate that. (our budget is ideally $800 for the entire 5 days- very doable on Curacao)

Puerto Rico (flying into San Jaun)
Jamaica (either airport)
Barbados (Bridgetown)
The Bahamas (Nassau)

Thank you!
Portland Parish in Jamaica is not too touristy and is basically a rain forest, It is adorned with alluring beaches and many waterfalls.