Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which island will be the most appyling for teenagers?

Mar 9th, 2005, 01:51 PM
Original Poster

I have three teenage girlss 19,17,15 and my husband and I are trying to plan a winter vacation to a caribbean island that will suit us and our daughters. We are looking for nice beaches, good resturants and nice hotels(but not giant resorts. Any idea of where we shoudl go?
Mar 9th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Check out IDLE AWHILE resort in Negril, Jamaica. Your kids would have a ball, and so would you! The resort is on the prettiest part of a seven mile white powder beach. There are plenty of water sports available, as well as deep sea fishing and jet skiing. There are wonderful restaurants in the area, many of them small family-run restaurants up on the cliffs, where the sunsets at night are spectacular.

If I can help at all, post again. I've been going to Negril for 25 years (!!) most recently two weeks ago.
Mar 9th, 2005, 03:15 PM

Just wanted to add that there are also some really nice clubs right on the beach, so there is a decent nightlife to be had for the kids.
Mar 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Thanks weadles, and sorry for my mis-spelling in the first note...i was wondering if you can reach Idle Awhile on a website and if so what?
Mar 9th, 2005, 04:10 PM

Idleawhile.com
Mar 9th, 2005, 05:00 PM

We were in Negril in May with our 17 yr old daughter & 23 yr old son. It was great. The water is amazing & the people were so friendly. I wish I could have bottled the attitude to bring home! There are a variety of places to stay depending on your budget. The choices of places to eat will be your biggest problem. We had the best jerk chicken on the ride to Negril from the airport. Don't miss the sunsets & food at 3 Dives. Both are excellent.

Have a great time wherever you wind up!
Mar 9th, 2005, 07:41 PM

Did you mean that there were too many choices or not enough good ones?
Mar 10th, 2005, 05:00 AM

Definitely too many good choices!! I had a list of ones I wanted to try & didn't make a dent because I would get sidetracked by smells of something delicious coming from a place I hadn't heard of! What a problem to have. Guess I'm lucky that the food is usually so healthy because I could have gained some serious excess baggage if I ate everything they offered.

The lobster dinner at 3 Dives really spoiled me. We went out here (US) for a lobster dinner (birthday treat) & I hated to pay $30 for 1 lobster in a crowded place with no view. Give me the sunset & picnic tables at 3 Dives with the $20 lobster dinner anytime.
Mar 10th, 2005, 09:08 AM

That's what I thought you meant but just wanted to make sure. I thought you must be doing something wrong if you had trouble finding places to eat in Negril!
Mar 10th, 2005, 01:40 PM

Just wanted to add that if you are interested in Idle Awhile, I'd e-mail them right away. Since there are only 13 rooms, it does fill up quickly for prime holiday periods.

If you can't get into Idle Awhile, you can look next door at Coco La Palm. The accomodations are not as nice, but it has the virtually the same beach location and a staff that is out of this world! I've stayed there with my teens 4 times.

Last note: Make sure to visit ALFRED'S on the beach for music at night. It's a very lively spot!
Mar 10th, 2005, 02:34 PM

For our teenagers first trip to the Caribbean we took our kids age 12, 13, 16 to Grand Cayman. Great beaches, snorkeling, clean, safe. Familar food, no peddlers. It was a great first experience.
Mar 11th, 2005, 04:20 AM

I've been to Grand Cayman many times with my kids. It has a beautiful beach, but it is much more expensive and Americanized than Jamaica.
Mar 11th, 2005, 04:47 AM
cdt

Personally I like Negril, and I'll probably catch flak for these comments, but I think Negril is a good choice only if you want your daughters to be constantly propositioned and offered drugs.

We've been to destinations that are "Americanized" and many that aren't. Sometimes with a family, "Americanized" has its advantages. We took our teen to Aruba and thought it was an excellent choice for that age group - lots of activities, very safe, excellent beaches.
Mar 11th, 2005, 07:23 AM

I don't think you should catch flak for your comments at all. Vendors are a part of the local culture in Jamaica, and although they're not nearly as aggressive as they once were, their presence can be a hassle. For us ( we have a 16-year-old and 13-year-old) it wasn't much of a bother.When we walked together as a family, we were almost never approached for anything more than horseback riding or a snorkelling trip. And when my daughter took a couple strolls up the beach, a simple "No, thanks," seemed to do the trick. Still,this is a very personal decision that needs to be thought out before visiting Jamaica.
Mar 11th, 2005, 07:59 AM

I took my teen to Negril and had no problems. We walked the beach night and day and were never offered drugs - parasailing yes. She walked with another teen she met and she said that no one bothered them at all.
Mar 11th, 2005, 11:28 AM

Our Negril experience was very similar. All we got offered was hair braiding & massages. Our 23 yr old son did get an offer to arrange a Jamaican "friend" for him & he had a blast just listening to the guy tell him how great Jamaican women were. Even that offer was very discreet & no hard feelings when the offer was declined. I doubt your daughters will be hassled. Just prepare them by advising them to pretend to misunderstand any offers & give a "no thanks". At their ages they won't be freaked out & they are probably a lot more aware than some older people.