Sandals Advice and Recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We just returned from our first trip to the Caribbean and had a great time! We stayed in Barbados for 3 nights and St. Lucia for 8 nights. All the accomodations were private villas and they worked out wonderfully and got a great taste for the true island (driving, going to markets, talking to native people, etc.)

For our next trip though I want to do something less adventurey and more relaxing. While in St. Lucia we visited Sandals Regency and thought it was very nice. Very very nice private beach! (The beach is not technically private, but it does not have people bothering you like other beaches in St. Lucia).

Does anyone have specific sandals recommendations for a relaxing easy-going trip?

It definitely has to have a nice beach and not being crowded or having people sell things to you is a big plus. We would just go to St. Lucia Regency, but I wanted to travel to a different island.

I have read lots of reviews here and right now I am looking at Sandals Antigua, Sandals Royal Bahamian (Bahamas) and Sandals Negril. For a 7 night stay, Sandals Bahamian is running about $1000 cheaper so I am leaning towards that one, but would love to get the opinions and experiences of others.

Thanks for your help!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 07:09 AM
Original Poster

I left one out of my list...Sandals Whitehouse. I'm also looking at that one.

Also I was wondering what is the cheapest way to stay at a Sandal's? Does anyone have any tips on getting a good rate? Thanks!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Original Poster

Looking at things a little more I am looking at one more Sandals property....Dunn's River. I just read lots of good reviews of it over at tripadvisor. Looks like it went through a big remodeling!
Old Jan 11th, 2006, 10:53 AM
KVR

We've stayed at the Sandals Royal Bahamain and loved it. Great resort. 2 huge pools with swim-up bars. Great resturants on property, good nightlife. The beach was nice, but kinda small. Not a big deal to us. Absolutley no vendors. They also have a private Island with beach, pool, swim up bar and resturant.

Sandals Antigua is currently undergoing magor rentovations. They are adding another blocks of rooms and a pool. If construction would bother you, wait until compeletion in approx. 2007.

Most of Sandals properties are in Jamaica. We are looking at going to Negril in Nov. 06. We looked at Sandals Negril, but compared to Sandals in the Bahamas and St. Lucia, it fell flat. We decided on Couples Negril.

If you liked the Regency, (we stayed at the Grande and visisted the Regency), you'll probably like Bahamas, Dunns River or White House. However, I understand that Dunn's River beach isn't all that private and vendors are allowed.

Check out these websites for more info regarding Sandals properties:

http://www.tropictravelonline.com/cg...ultimatebb.cgi

http://chris-n-cheryl.com/v-web/bulletin/bb/

Old Jan 11th, 2006, 11:40 AM

A Sandals Lover myself we have been to almost all of there resorts. Sandals Whitehouse is an amazing resort great beach and "SUPER" sunsets. Daughter was married at Sandals Royal Bahamian and it is a beautiful resort with a private island off shore. Sandals Negril has a great beach and you have privelages at a few different resort while there, have been to this resort a few times. Sandals Regency is a large resort with lots of room to walk. We will be spending 2 week there this Fesecond time at this resort). I know there are alot of Sandals bashers on this board so if you would like to email me with any ?'s feel free to...
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your help! After looking at it more I think I am going to make a reservation at Dunns River. You can get a really great deal right now and it has all been newly remodeled.

Has anyone been to this resort? What is the beach like...crowded, small, lots of people trying to sell you stuff?
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

Kimberly...Have you been to Dunns River?

I have read great things about Bahamas, Whitehouse and Dunns River. Right now a 7 day trip to Dunns River would be $2300, Bahamas = $3000 and Whitehouse = $4100 ....quite a big savings to go to Dunns River.

My trip is way in advance though (looking at next New Years...this will be the next chance for me to use some vacation from work).

I looked at December/January weather in the Bahamas and it looks like the high is only 76-78 (cooler than I think I would like)

...so right now I am leaning towards Dunns River.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 06:07 PM

Yes, we have and it is a beautiful resort. It just had a huge renovation and just reopened a few weeks ago. Dunns River is a great choice,you can also enjoy the exchange privelages with Sandals Grande Ocho Rios...
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:43 AM

Hi,

We stayed at Beaches Turks and Caicos which was beautiful. Would like to stay at Sandals, but we would like to know what type of entertainment there is at night. We loved Beaches during the day which we spent at either the pool or the beach (which is probably one of the most beautiful beaches we have ever seen), but after dinner we found that, unless you like to sit in a lounge, there was not really much to do. Is Sandals the same? Thank you.
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:53 AM

Sandals has very good entertainment at night...usually a singer,there dancing or you can go to one of the bars usually have Karaoke. They also have pool tables and fuze ball tables, some of the resort have a few slot machines. We love the evenings we always have a ball at the bar sing alongs. After a few drinks nobody cares what they sound like...
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM

Thanks, Kimberly. I think Beaches probably had the game tables, etc too. Maybe I am expecting to see entertainment like on a cruise ship...singers, comedians, productions shows, etc. and the resorts just don't have that or are there some that do? Either way, we did find our stay at Beaches to be very relaxing and enjoyable. What would anyone recommend as their favorite resort-- and it doesn't necessarily have to be Sandals?