Which island for someone who loves to travel to Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2012, 02:17 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've only been to the Caribbean once, a few decades ago (Antigua) and I remember spending most of the week on the beach, with one day going to the 'town' to 'look around'. I travel extensively to Europe and love quaint towns, beautiful scenery, etc. I'm looking for a destination for a March vacation that would of course be good beaches but also some place with towns, ruins, something to explore. Any suggestions as to which island would be best - also considering Mexico. Thanks
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 04:57 PM

We love traveling in Europe and that is where most of our vacations are spent. However, occasionally we do a Caribbean trip to get out of the cold. I have been to St. Martin and Aruba. St. Martin ( French Side, not the Dutch side) has a European flair to it particularly with the french restaurants and some cafes in Marigot. Also, many of the other tourists were French. However, there was not really much to explore in terms of art, architecture, history, etc but we did enjoy it because of the beaches and food. I went to Aruba recently and that felt very American despite the main town ( Oranjestad) having some Dutch architecture as it was a Dutch island at one point. We are going to Puerto Rico this winter and one of the reasons it appeals to me is because of Old San Juan. From what I have read and heard the architecture is very appealing, there are some old forts to explore and fun restaurants and nightlife. You might want to check that out.
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 05:03 PM

Caribbean, most of it is small islands, so not many ruins, exploring, or small towns.

I know you realize that Europe and Caribbean are completely different from each other.

Dominican Republic has some towns, ruins exploring, but far from the beach areas.

St Martin has some small towns and a French on one side Dutch on the other atmosphere. No reall ruins (a fort) not much exploring (unless other beaches count)

Mexico might work. Small towns at Playa Del Carmen and Cozumel, exploring Mayan ruins.

Ultimately go knowing it's completely different than Europe, if you're looking for Europe then you need to go to Europe. ;-)
Old Aug 12th, 2012, 06:39 PM

you might enjoy barbados. good march weather, beautiful beaches, some small towns & a few historical sites to visit. polo, cricket & horseracing should be happening. good dining options. most villas come with staff if that interests you. some dramatic scenery on the east coast.

if you go to mexico i think you would enjoy side trips to valladolid a/or merida. loads of mayan ruins - tulum, coba or chichen itza are daytrips. if weather permits you could take the drive down to punta allen or take a kayak tour into the sian ka'an biosphere. cenotes are interesting & beautiful as well.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:33 AM

Barbados is a good option, there are alot of historical sites. Havana is not possible, pity since that is the most facinating and interesting city in the Caribbean IMO, we loved it!

Martinique & Guadeloupe may be options, both are much more French than St Martin. St Pierre in Martinique is very interesting as it used to be the capital and was called the Paris of the Caribbean until it was destroyed in a volcanic eruption. Although little remains of the original town, there are little streets & buildings which are very French in style and shops selling French things like Marseille soap etc, reminds me a little of Provence. But essentially it's nothing like France apart from same road signs, same currency, same supermarkets, same/similar language. Sailing into Fort de France is quite spectacular. Both islands have lots of historical sites, love the rum distilleries as they are often fabulously restored old buildings.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first thing I thought of was Puerto Rico. It has good beaches, history to explore, rain forest, bio bay, etc.
Also Mexico's Riviera Maya area. Great beaches, ruins to explore, snorkeling, zip lines. The Playa del Carmen area would provide what you are looking for.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 04:15 AM

It almost sounds like you're describing Central America more than the Caribbean islands. How about Nicaragua? Colonial cities of Granada and Leon. Beaches along the Pacific coast, and the Corn Islands (though I suspect those may not be what you're looking for).
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 04:17 AM

After I posted, I also thought of Cartagena, Colombia. The old part of the city is fascinating. Nice hotels, good restaurants.

Not very good beaches though. When we went, we split the trip between Cartagena and the islands of San Andres and Providencia.

Wonderful trip.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 03:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
I agree with the suggestion of Mexico. It's easy to combine beach (if you want that) with more cultural pursuits, visting the various colonial cities there.
Old Aug 13th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I'll check into those suggestions. Someone suggested the Virgin Islands, also Belize and in Mexico Cancun and Cozumel - but I thought they were very 'spring break' type places. Basically this trip will be two middle aged women, and we may or may not bring the husbands. I teach college and have college age children, the last thing I want is a vacation full of college kids. Unfortunately my spring break is their spring break (one of the drawbacks of teaching college) - so I want to go where they DO NOT go.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 07:05 AM

My first thought was Barbados. It has everything you're looking for and it won't be filled with spring breakers. The east coast has some wild and rugged coastline, the interior has rolling, green hills and the west coast has small towns and gorgeous beaches. The south coast is a little more party-oriented and a bit cheaper so you might find a bit of partying there in the St. Lawrence Gap area.

My second thought was Puerto Rico. I haven't stayed there other than involuntarily when stuck there overnight due to airline issues but it, too, likely has what you're looking for.

My third thought was Mexico. It most definitely has your wish list but as it's on the cheaper side you'll most likely run into spring breakers, but it depends on where you stay. I've stayed at a couple of places that specifically prohibit spring breakers. If you stay in an upscale accommodation my experience has been you won't find the atmosphere you're trying to avoid.

St. Barts feels a lot like the South of France to me but it's a very small island and likely doesn't offer most of the things you're interested in other than good beaches, a Europe feel and a quaint town (and great food, although you didn't say that).
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 09:16 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Well maybe Cancun is 'spring break' or some people compare it to 'miami beach'.

But all of Mexico that is not so, even along the "Mayan Riviera", the Caribbean coastline of Mexico. You'd fly into Cancun but then move on to some place like Isla Mujeres, Playa del Carmen, Akumal, or Tulum to name a few possibilities. All have beautiful beaches and puts you in the area where you can visit ruins, etc.

I've been to Mexico 20+ times (Cabo, Puerto Vallarta, La Paz to date) and never had a problem with spring breakers. Because I stay a local hotels not the type of resorts that would draw them.
Old Aug 14th, 2012, 09:29 AM

My first thought was Barbados, 2nd was British Virgin Islands, 3rd - The Grenedines....Guadalupe - it's a tie.
Old Aug 15th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I'd also recommend Mexico and, particularly if beaches are not a priority, that you visit Mexico City and one or two close by colonial cities, Puebla for example, or perhaps Guanajuato and Queretaro. I love european travel but honestly find these parts of Mexico equally interesting and far more exotic.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 02:08 AM

Cancun in March would be college town. Cartagena seems like a good option because it has history, it is the oldest city in the 'New World' and it has amazing beaches and snorkeling. Also not far from Aruba or Panama.
Old Aug 24th, 2012, 01:52 PM

Old San Juan for the feeling of a Spanish town.

Isles des Saintes for the feeling of a French beach side village.
St Pierre, Martinique for the volcano story.
For the French islands,you will have more success if you speak some French.