Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which island for Christmas '07? Must have golf!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all! I'm ready to begin planning Christmas '07! Here's our family- mom & dad (both age 56), my husband and myself (27 & 28) and my brother, age 24. So there will be 5 of us traveling. We would like to stay in some sort of condo/villa/house with a full kitchen for breakfasts & lunches and would like to keep the price at about $500/night ($3000-$3500 for the week) or less. Beachfront would be ideal.
My husband and I have been to St. Martin and just loved it. We just got back from a wonderful Christmas in St. Croix (darn near perfect!!). Our family has also spent several vacations in Cozumel (about 10 years ago) and we loved that as well. All the men in our family golf, but they do not need world-class golf courses with ultra high green fees. We are also avid scuba divers, and I certainly plan on logging several dives wherever we end up. Ideally, we would like to visit somewhere that has cute towns to go to dinner in and walk around after dark. High end islands such as St. Barths don't really appeal to us. We are all very experienced travelers and love exotic things such as food and activities, but we don't want to have to pay $500 for our entire family every time we want to do something (does that make sense?).
Renting a car would probably be a good option.
Right now I'm really interested in Barbados. However, the ultra high green fees of the Royal W and Sandy Lane are not our style. The green fees on STX (~$100) appeal to us much, much more.
I'm also looking into Hawaii (but that's for another forum, right
Sooo- what islands (or countries) might you suggest I begin looking at? Any example of what green fees might be or the cost of dives? And if you have any lodging recs (self-catering) at all, feel free to pass them along!
Thank you!
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:38 AM

We have friends who go to the Carambola Resort on St. Croix every year and they do so because they're golf fanatics! I would look at that area which has many villas and condos... and since you know how wonderful it can be, why not go back with the whole family? IMO, St. Croix really has everything you're looking for and at a relatively reasonable price.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 05:24 PM

I agree---Carambola.
Old Jan 17th, 2007, 06:34 PM

Diving, golf and a condo/house/villa ?

For golf, definitely look at the North Coast of JA (eg Tryall Club). However, diving is not quite as good an option in JA as other islands.

Also note that in the Virgin Islands there are increasingly major issues with coral bleaching, so do some up to date research on that.

Cayman could also be a great option for you, as we have world class diving, plus the Links at Safehaven golf course has finally (after Hurricane Ivan in 2004 and some insurance issue) re-opened this week (to members only for now, but soon for everyone), and that is a terrific course.

Many, many choices of condos in Cayman, plus villas and houses easy to get too.
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:07 PM

oh plesae-coral bleaching?

No passport neede to USVI..

there's no coral at Carambola hole 14...oh--i stand corrected----any coral on the grounds is bleached..
Old Jan 18th, 2007, 05:26 PM

Marbleheadguy, please read the OP's request for diving as well as golf.

As to coral bleaching a quick google yielded this :

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/news/...an-coral_x.htm

It is a global issue, related to sea temperatures, but has apparently been devastating to USVI reefs.
Old Jan 19th, 2007, 05:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your imput!!

I will say however, that having just returned from STX, we DID notice coral bleaching. The diving was great, water was very clear... but a quick look underwater and it was very obvious coral bleaching had taken place. It was sad.... but the diving was still GREAT!