Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which island am I looking for? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-island-am-i-looking-for-498440/)

marg102469 Jan 25th, 2005 05:16 PM

Which island am I looking for?

We have been to 5 or 6 Caribbean islands and Grand Cayman is our favorite. We are looking for another island that compares to it. We want a place where we can rent a car and drive around and feel safe like we did there. A place where we are not harassed by the locals. We also want white sand, and warm calm water. The cost doesn't matter. Any suggestions?

meta Jan 26th, 2005 03:47 AM

I'd suggest Turks and Caicos or Anguilla.

jofus Jan 26th, 2005 05:43 AM

St. John USVI

sara1274 Jan 26th, 2005 07:16 AM

Aruba!

zachsarbean1 Jan 26th, 2005 07:50 AM

St. John or Anguilla...Both are remote, at times we were the only ones on the beach. Locals are wonderful, very friendly. I have been to anguilla once and St. John 4 times and I have never been harassed. Both places do not have alot of night life, but you can always find some live music and great food.

shirleyk Jan 26th, 2005 09:12 AM

Look at Provo, Turks & Caicos. Fits your description of what you are looking for to the T.

mm Jan 26th, 2005 09:38 AM

St. John is surely beautiful but too small to be considered a 'drive around' island.

Jamaica has all you ask for unless you are a complete foo-foo type of lady that is.

Puerto Rico would also fit the bill.

mm

marg102469 Jan 26th, 2005 05:10 PM

Thanks for all your suggestions. I'm seriously looking at T & C.

virginia Jan 27th, 2005 07:25 AM

T & C !

LM3682 Jan 27th, 2005 07:32 AM

Look at Curacao! It's a Dutch island and the locals are very polite. Excellent for driving and lots of gorgeous little beaches to explore. They don't recommend leaving valuables in your car when at these beaches, but I think that's the general rule in the Caribbean. Most of the time, we were the only people even at the beaches! We felt very safe in town, at the beaches and at our hotel. The restaurants are also very very good. We stayed at the Marriott and really enjoyed it. The beach in front of the hotel can be windy though.

The Turks does have much more placid water in general, but there's not a whole lot on the island. I'm not sure that would fit your "driving" goal. The snorkeling is even better than Cayman though (IMO), so if you're a big water person, T&C would fit that bill. We did have difficulties finding good restaurants to last us a week. You might consider an all-inclusive if you end choosing the Turks.

virginia Jan 27th, 2005 07:01 PM

i respectfully disagree with lm3682. 1) i think the only ais on provo are club med and beaches.
2) there are however a slew of restaurants of every description on provo: aqua bar, coyaba, bay bistro, anacona, tiki hut, shrarkbite, mango reef, baci, coco bistro, grace's cottage, gecko grill ususally all are well reviewed. and there are many more to choose from according to budget and what you want to eat at the moment.
the locals on provo are really nice. drive out towards blue hill and have conch at i think it bugaboos. an old guy with great stories, alot of character and byob.
if cost is no object look at coral gardens to stay

Knowing Jan 28th, 2005 07:04 AM

If you're comparing it to GC, I would say you would be most comfortable in the USVI. It has that same kind of nightlife and is safe. There is no harassment there and the beaches are beautiful.

TravelingSue Jan 28th, 2005 04:54 PM

We are also fans of GC. We went to Aruba a few times and are now going to T&C in March.

Traveler863 Jan 28th, 2005 05:17 PM

Ditto...Turks and Caicos or Anguilla