Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which Island?? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-island-194784/)

Erin Apr 9th, 2002 08:20 AM

Which Island??

Hello - I need help picking an island. I am looking for a hotel w/a beautiful but uncrowded beach. The beach is a top priority but I want the option of other activities. Good food also a must. We went to Bermuda and loved it but I haven't been to any other islands. Any suggestions?<BR>Thanks.

Hugh Apr 9th, 2002 12:40 PM

Anguilla.

xxx Apr 9th, 2002 10:23 PM

Erin, I'm in the same situation. <BR>Been to Bermuda and loved it. <BR>In a couple of weeks we're off<BR>to St. John / US Virgin Islands. <BR>Based upon my research we shouldn't<BR>be disappointment after Bermuda (I hope). Beaches are world famous, the island is green and lush, and as far as activities are concerned St. Thomas is a ferry ride away and so are the British Virgin Islands for side trips.

JMM Apr 10th, 2002 09:44 AM

Provo in the Turks and Caicos. Great Beach (but not much shade). Good restaurants. Not a lot of other activities though.

M Apr 10th, 2002 09:48 AM

BARBADOS!!!

penny Apr 10th, 2002 10:57 AM

Erin -Having been to Bermuda many many times we set out to the caribbean to find places that we would enjoy as well.<BR>First of all nothing is a beautiful and sophisticated as Bermuda. The winding lanes, the ambience, the beautiful coral rock formations, and pastel colored houses, and gardens, St. George, and the Dockyards. <BR> We tried Barbados, and liked it. Everyone said it was like Bermuda, but I felt it was not. Have not been there since 1992, and I had a wonderful time. <BR>The restaurants were excellent and the best sunsets! Nice to explore the Highlands and South Coast. I did not like the jet skis, or the beach vendors on the Gold coast beach. Nor did I appreciate all the high metal fences around the villas and the standard guard dogs. The guard at the entracne to Sandy Lane had a M16 rifle! Now that was 10 years ago, so I have no idea how it is now.<BR>We started going to Anguilla in 1993, and have gone back every year. It is a flat, scub island, with beautiful beaches, fun little beach bar restaurants, and outstanding hotels. You can explore a new beach every day, of just stay put. You can go over and shop in French Marigot, a 20 minute ferry ride away in St. Martin. The people on the island are wonderful.<BR><BR>Another favorite is St. John. Love the fun little town of Cruz Bay. Nice restaurants and excellent snorkeling. The whole island is mostly national park. It is easy to get to St. Thomas and explore that busy island! There were 5 cruise ships in Charlotte Amalie, on our last visit. Shopping is quite a scene, with vendors hawking outside their shops. I could not wait to get back to Caneel! <BR>We love these islands as much as we love Bermuda! But there is only one Bermuda! Go and have fun!

Penney Apr 10th, 2002 03:40 PM

I agree with Turks andCaicos - beuaitufl beaches.

Anon Apr 11th, 2002 12:47 AM

ANGUILLA seems to have exactly what you are looking for - beautiful beaches and great food. Onlt I don't think it has manu "activities". Good luck choosing!