Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which is the BEST island for walking the beach and sundown and admiring the sunset?

Search

Which is the BEST island for walking the beach and sundown and admiring the sunset?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:34 AM
Maria

So I guess my question is, who has nice long beaches where you can walk and admire the beauty of sunset and not have to worry about being mugged!<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:34 AM
Maria

Oops<BR><BR>I meant to say<BR><BR>Which is the BEST island for walking the beach at sundown and admiring the sunset.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 10:43 AM
Nancy

Grace Bay, Provo, TCI<BR>7 Mile Beach, Grand Cayman<BR>Grand Anse, Grenada<BR>Cancun<BR>

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:32 PM
Jill

Aruba is extremely safe and the beaches were beautiful.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 12:48 PM
Sally

Anguilla!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 01:38 PM
liza

Negril, Jamaica's 7 mile beach faces west and has lovely sunsets...I might worry about being mugged walking on it at 4AM but certainly not at sunset.

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 03:32 PM
Sandy

Maria,<BR>Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman!!

Old Jan 21st, 2003, 04:21 PM
Susan

Aruba: Palm Beach

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 04:08 AM
ann

Meads Bay on Anguilla!<BR>You can walk from one end to the other very peacefully and hardly see anyone. Quite a few nice restaurants too so you could reserve for an early dinner after your walk. Just imagine, a sunset stroll followed by dinner beachside!

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 05:46 AM
Sandy

Dickenson Bay Antigua, Palm Beach Aruba and Orient Beach St. Martin.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 07:44 AM
sunshine

You could always go to Naples Florida or West Palm Beach if you don't want to fly far.<BR><BR>Otherwise, Grand Cayman 7 Mile Beach or Aruba Palm Beach.<BR><BR>Enjoy

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 09:39 AM
travelbuff

Maria,<BR><BR>We all have our favorite places here and mine would be Eleuthera. The beaches there go on for miles and you won't run into many people anywhere you walk on the beach.<BR><BR>Also Harbour Island would be nice, beautiful 3 mile stretch of beach. Once got up to see the sun rise and it was spectacular.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:01 PM
Susan

Re: West palm Beach suggestion: Last time I was in WPB the sun rose over the ocean!!!....but, hey! sunrises are pretty spectacular too!<BR><BR>If you are on Florida's west coast you can enjoy Marco Island sunsets which are almost a religious experience....everybody strolling on the beach stops, it gets very quiet as everyone gazes while sun majestically sinks below the horizon. First time I witnessed this I was in awe. Just b/f sunset people spill out of their condos, drink in hand, &amp; head for the beach where they take up their &quot;sunset watching position&quot;. It's really quite something to see.

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 02:44 PM
Brenda

Dickinson Bay, Antigua

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 03:45 PM
tivertonhouse

Start dunetop at LA CASA DUNA, Billy's Bay, Treasure Beach, South Coast, Jamaica -- looking all the way down to Pedro Bluff miles away. Stroll down the strand ,past RAINBOW TREE, past HIKARU-- your footprints may well be the first -- 10,15 min. past THE BUCCANEER, a Moorish fantasy villa that glows rose-red in the sun--to the fishers'landing where boats are arriving from sea. Set your drink down, wade out to the boats, higgle for fresh fish,seacrab and lobster and have them sent back to the house. Walk on, climb the cliff path that skirts the promontory where 3 new villas in red, blue and yellow kids' crayon colors radiate in the light. Descend the goatpaths to Fisherman's Bay beach, past SPARKLING WATERS and then, if you've not lingered too long or started too late, CALABASH BAY and drinks at twilight at JACK SPRAT or JAKE'S.<BR>It's minus 20 right now, newly-revised windchill factor charts notwithstanding,so indulge me, if you would. I NEED to be back on island.<BR><BR>

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 06:49 PM
RichF

Three beaches come to mind with those criteria: long, safe and great sunsets. Plus, all of these great beaches, face the west for the best sunsets. <BR><BR>Negril, Jamaica<BR>Seven Mile Beach, Grand Cayman<BR>Palm/Eagle Beach, Aruba<BR><BR>

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:33 AM
Sonia

Another vote for french St. Martin at Orient Beach!

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 08:39 AM
rhonda

Fort Jefferson, Florida<BR>Sedona Arizona<BR>Pheonix, AZ

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Turtle

Beaches in Arizona???

Old Jan 24th, 2003, 01:16 PM
melissa

ARUBA!! safe, clean, happy people...beautiful sunsets...try dinner on the beach (with your feet in the sand) at Flying Fishbone at sunset!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -