Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which is better Grand Cayman or St. Maarten? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-is-better-grand-cayman-or-st-maarten-242649/)

Linda Jul 24th, 2002 05:02 AM

Which is better Grand Cayman or St. Maarten?

We are planing a trip for the 3 of us(all woman-ages 42-47) in OCt. 2002.<BR><BR>Which place would be better Grand Cayman or St. Maaten?

John Jul 24th, 2002 06:42 AM

Linda,<BR><BR>Grand Cayman will be safer, as it's perfectly safe to walk 7MB at night without a worry in the world. Street vending is also illegal in GC, so you will not be bothered a single time by anyone trying to sell you things on the street or beach. <BR><BR>I guess it really depends on what you are looking for in a vacation, as to what island might suit you better. What are the things you plan to do?

N Jul 24th, 2002 12:16 PM

I am also interested in what people have to say between St. Maarten and Grand Cayman. Except I am also thinking of Aruba and St. Thomas. <BR>I need some night life and some places of attraction during the day. Of course, I need some watersports. I know virtually everywhere has some watersports. But I kinda liked the fact the if I go to St. Thomas, there is a boat that will take you to St. John for the day. I also, like Aruba b/c it is out of hurrican season for October. I will be on my honeymoon but really don't want to go and see desert once we leave the resort.<BR>Please help.<BR>

Ron Jul 24th, 2002 12:48 PM

Grand Cayman is dry, and not very scenic.<BR>The one major beach is full of chain hotels.<BR>The food is OK.<BR>The towns are much like american beaches.<BR><BR>St. martin has good shopping, is very scenic with coastal roads and large green mountains.<BR><BR>Good variety of beaches, most with beach bars.<BR><BR>French culture.<BR>Great restaurants.<BR>day trips to st. barths and Anguilla.<BR><BR>I would choose st. martin in a heartbeat, although the water in cayman is nice.

d Jul 24th, 2002 01:59 PM

Agree and disagee. Would NOT walk 7 Mile Beach at night - maybe all three of you, but certainly not by yourself. You are setting yourself up for a problem. My opinion. Restaurants - Cayman has many great restaurants - both ends of the price scale. I don't think I've ever had a poor meal. GC has less nightlife which could be an issue for you. A definite plus is that there are no street vendors. Just depends on what you are looking for in a holiday.

Cayman fan Jul 24th, 2002 03:01 PM

I've been to Grand Cayman more because it is safe and the water is pretty and they have good restuarents. I went on a cruise to St. Marteen , and the island was mountainous and pretty. The beach was wavey. What made me feel uncomfortable was it was on a clothing optional beach. I really prefer Grand Cayman over seeing a bunch of naked old men walking around!!!!!!!!

Sandy Jul 24th, 2002 03:04 PM

Linda,<BR>Well I have to disagree with "d". I would and have walked all parts of Grand Cayman at night by myself and have never had a problem or been afraid. It's one of the safest islands that 3 women could go to!!

Ted Jul 24th, 2002 04:45 PM

Grand Cayman, by a landslide. I've been to both islands in the past 18 months, and GC is far & away the better destination for three ladies.<BR><BR>GC is very safe, very British, fairly conservative. The beaches and water are much better than St M/M. Nightlife is more prolific in St Martin, but that probably only contributes to the crime problem. <BR><BR>Grand Cayman, without a doubt. Enjoy!<BR>

Gallup Jul 24th, 2002 06:01 PM

Match your tastes:<BR><BR>You'll probably like Grand Cayman if you like things such as Honda and Toyota cars, Hyatt-type hotels, movies that typically top the box office stats in the US.<BR><BR>St. Martin if you gravitate toward used foreign cars, non-chain mid to lower priced hotels, and offbeat foreign type films.

Ron Jul 24th, 2002 06:03 PM

British and conservative, nice reasons for why grand cayman is NOT better than st. martin.<BR>There is one clothing optional beach in st. martin and most people are clothed families, with one or two ugly freaks fro, Club O.<BR>Read my first post for REAL facts zhy St. martin is a lot better.<BR>P.s Who goes to a destinqtion just because it is safe...Might as well stay in your basement.<BR>St. martin has no major peoblem like st.crouix, just use common sense.

Tina Jul 24th, 2002 06:59 PM

BS, Ron, St Martin has a MAJOR crime problem and everyone who's ever actually been there knows it. My rental car was broken into TWICE in 6 days for nothing -- but I still got stuck with the bill (US$220). <BR><BR>Did you take time to read the actual post? Three women in their 40's. Not a bunch of kids looking to score pot or pot-bellied swingers hanging out at Club O. <BR><BR>They asked a simple question -- which destination is better for THEM. Grand Cayman Island is the all too obvious answer. <BR><BR>Linda, enjoy your trip! Grand Cayman is a great destination!

Tom Jul 25th, 2002 02:55 AM

Tina,<BR><BR>Have been to St. Martin; I don't know about a major crime problem. Had 1 spare tire stolen in 14 trips, insurance covered that.<BR><BR>All too obvoius??? You know for a fact, they don't want pot? They are from that generation you know? You know 3 women don't want to see naked men, you know they may not enjoy it themselves. You must be the best mind reader in the world. Maybe you touched the screen on their post and got the "vibes", huh? Why not let Linda speak for herself?<BR><BR>The only thing that is obivios is that you are going to ruin your hairdo that way! M-O-O-N, that spells Tina!

RM Jul 25th, 2002 05:19 AM

I can assure you that you will see pot- bellied people in Grand Cayman. I'll wager in the same proportion to any other island.

me Jul 25th, 2002 06:44 AM

For what it's worth..i thought the French side of St. Martin was fantastic (great upscale restaurant, beautiful beaches, fun beach bars, friendly people) but i would not return due to the crime problem.. I am not an alarmist, and thankfully nothing happened to us while we were there, but it is telling that numerous locals (cab drivers, waitresses) told us in no uncertain terms when we asked that the crime was an escalating problem and that much of the recent crime had been against tourists (room break-ins, and attacks on the beach at night). <BR><BR>We did notice a police presence, especially from armed guards on the beach at night (we could see them from our balcony), which was comforting and discomforting all at once. It is too bad though, as the island has so much to offer.

Chris Jul 25th, 2002 06:53 AM

What beach did you see the armed guards?????? Were they carrying Uzis or what? Or should I ask, what upscale restaurant you went to that let you have too much house run?

me Jul 25th, 2002 07:17 AM

Actually, we stayed in a second floor villa on Orient beach next to Cap Carribe and we saw the armed guards on the beach below our balcony....they patrolled periodically each night driving a jeep and, i am no expert on guns, but if you must know, it appeared to be a rifle...... <BR><BR>It appears from your attempt at "witty" sarcasm that you may not believe me... of course, this makes no absolutely no difference to me, ... i meant only to share my experience with the original poster. (incidentally, i hesitated to write my original post, because i thought I might be subject to the snide and childish comments that are so often exchanged on this site... thanks for proving correct my initial instinct)

Trish Jul 25th, 2002 08:48 AM

Grand Cayman would be a good choice. English is the language spoken,good climate, very safe, and fantastic restaurants. It is an expensive island though, and there is very little nightlife.

Ron Jul 25th, 2002 01:02 PM

Still no reasons why grand cayman is better.<BR>Ive been to st. martin 15 times and I can reassure any of you the crime problem is blown up on this board.<BR><BR>IF your at a restaurant asking waitresses about crime, you need to relax.<BR>Crime has declined in the last few years anyway.<BR>IF you want an americanized, dry ugly island with one good beach full of chain hotels, and mediocre food; thats grand cayman.<BR><BR>If you want scenic green mountains, the best food, shopping; and variety of beaches, go to St. martin. Its not hard.<BR>OR you can listen to idiots who have not been to both about orient beach stereotypes.<BR>Orient beach is a long stretch of white sand and blue green clear water, one end being club O, the larger end being lots of good restaurants and clothed families.

linda Jul 25th, 2002 04:34 PM

Have been going to St.Martin for 20 years and have never had any crime committed against me. Just like anywhere there are "rules" to observe about your safety. We are up early, on the beach by about 10 and stay there till late afternoon. Nights are spent at nice restaurants. I am not saying that there are no crimes committed against tourists (I read the local papers and hear people speak) but it has never happened personally to us. And I have never felt unsafe walking about by myself. And as to Orient Beach; it's the greatest way to get a "no tan lines" tan. And we have a laugh looking at all the shapes and sizes, tattoos and body piercings. There is some gawking (cruise ship passengers, teen boys,etc) but there is no music blaring, no cameras allowed. We love the island, especially the French side where we stay and have had nothing but the most wonderful holidays there.

zzz Jul 25th, 2002 08:28 PM

I vote for St.Martin, it offers a lot more IMHO,I loved it. Grand Cayman : nice & bland (a less nicer word would be BORING !)