Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which is better for travel with baby -- Aruba, Grand Cayman, or Cancun?

Mar 18th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi everyone,

My husband and I are expecting our first baby (a little boy) the first week in August. We were supposed to take one last trip together next month to Grand Cayman. But due to a slight pregnancy complication, my dr. has said no flying until after 28 weeks if the condition improves. I'm a teacher, though, so next month was my last chance for a vacation of more than a weekend.

Anyways, we already have the plane tickets to Grand Cayman, and of course, they must be used within a year, I believe. So, we are planning on taking a trip during my maternity leave with the baby before I go back to work. We are thinking of early December when the baby will be 4 months old.

Anyways, since it will be our 1st trip with him, we are trying to keep it to places that US Air flies non-stop to from Boston. In my research, that seems to be Aruba, Grand Cayman, or Cancun. I've been to Cancun, and we've been to Aruba, but neither of us has been to Grand Cayman.

Of the three, which would be the best choice for us with a little one? Calm water would be great, if possible. My instincts say GC or Aruba. Aruba seems more family-friendly, but GC might have calmer water?

Any ideas/tips/experiences on these choices? Thanks!
Mar 18th, 2008, 04:57 PM

Aruba is very calm;they even have a beach named 'baby beach' which is both shallow and very calm. however, it is not close to the main hotel/beach strip. we stayed at the hyatt while there and had a great time. there are/were a number of restaurants that were on the beach and could be accessed by the boardwalk. That said,we also enjoyed grand cayman as well. Stayed the Westin - again, calm waters and very nice. I have only had mediocre experiences with cancun - lots of noise, out of control kids, etc. the three times we've visited. If you like that area, you might want to consider Riveria Maya (playa del carmen) instead of cancun proper.
Mar 19th, 2008, 08:46 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the ideas!

Anyone else?
Mar 19th, 2008, 12:19 PM

I have been to Cayman many times with babies and kids and Cancun (Isla Mujeres)once.I think Cayman is easier for a few reasons. My son had hives from something in the sand in Mexico and the language barrier made getting Benadryl hard. My husband is a physician in the states and in Cayman he was able to call a pharmacist at home to get antibiotics prescribed without even going to a doctor. The beach is better for us in Cayman(calmer waters, non rocky beaches). We hired babysitters with no concerns in Cayman and were advised not to do this in Mexico??? Water is not a concern in Cayman. Cayman is a quick nonstop flight for us (from Mpls) and the minimal time change for the kids more desireable than Mexico.
Mar 19th, 2008, 01:25 PM

I've been to all three and actually lived in Cayman for 4 yrs... totally agree with Monk21 that Cayman is the best choice of the three. It's a quick flight, the water is very calm on 7-mile beach (not so on other parts of the island so make sure your hotel is on 7MB), and babysitters should not be an issue at all. Have fun.
Mar 19th, 2008, 01:43 PM

Cayman sounds like your best option.

Calm water? Bear in mind 4 month old babies aren't going to be paddling!

A beach with plenty of shade might be a priority though.
Mar 19th, 2008, 03:35 PM
Original Poster

I appreciate the opinions, they certianly help!

And of course I know a 4 month old won't be paddling, LOL, but I'd still like to be able to bring him in the water!
Mar 19th, 2008, 04:02 PM

Congrats on baby. Boys LOVE their mommies!
We'be been to all three. I'd pick GC. Very family friendly with calm waters.
Mar 20th, 2008, 07:25 AM

When my kids were little, we went to Grand Cayman almost every year. We found it one of the easiest places to get to from New York, and loved the L O N G beach with it's shallow water. Best of all, in what was then my sleep-deprived condition, there was a huge US style supermarket across the street from our condo ( Villas of the Galleon), so we didn't have to lug the entire universe with us on the plane. Also, there was ( at the time) an excellent pediatrician or two a short walk away from Villas of the Galleon. I'd highly recommend it!
Mar 20th, 2008, 12:21 PM

By all means Grand Cayman and Villas of the Galleon...This is the prettiest condo set up on the island and is steps away from the calm, warm water....Close to groc/restaurants/ next to The Westin for brunch/lunch whatever and the staff is very trustworthy. Try for a ground floor condo but even then there are only 2 upper floors. Most condos have been renovated due to Ivan and are quite nice..Have been going there since the late 70's and although time marches on with the accompanying "progress" GC is still wonderful.. Have a good time.. amer_can
Mar 20th, 2008, 07:35 PM

US Air flies direct to Cozumel. All the beaches on Cozumel face the mainland instead of the open ocean; for that reason the sea is usually completly calm on Cozumel .

davgai1
Mar 21st, 2008, 01:33 PM
MLT

I've only been to GC so I can't comment on the other options. But as mentioned by others, it's very family-friendly with easy access from the U.S. And 7-Mile Beach has beautiful, calm, clear and shallow water. It's a wealthy island and has many of the conveniences Americans are accustomed to, and everyone speaks English.

We went in January 2007 with our son who was 3-1/2 at the time. The weather was lovely, and there were no mosquitoes to bother us!

We stayed at the Ritz-Carlton and were welcomed with kindness. Everyone from the cleaning staff to management went out of their way to make my son feel like a special guest. They left him little gifts, provided beach toys, and prepared special meals for him.

When we had dinner at their high-end restaurant "Blue" the staff doted on him--extra goodies and a tour of the kitchen by the chef. Other places we visited on the island also welcomed the little ones, but I found the Ritz-Carlton to be outstanding in their hospitality towards children. They even have an extensive children's program designed by Jean-Michel Cousteau for older kids.

Hope you have a great trip whatever you decide. We started traveling with our son when he was about 6-months-old. It's challenging, but can be very rewarding. Luckily my son is a great traveler and has been to the Carribbean twice, several U.S. destinations (we're from D.C.), and Rome and London last year. He's turning 5 soon and we're planning a trip to Paris in May per his request.
Mar 24th, 2008, 02:28 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice! We are going to Grand Cayman Dec. 6-13 with our little guy, so I will be sure to report back then!