Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which Hotel? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-hotel-670751/)

kgwoz Jan 16th, 2007 07:16 AM

Which Hotel?

My husband and I are planning a long weekend in Bermuda (for our anniversary) in late September. This will be the first time either of us has visited Bermuda.

We don't want to spend a fortune on the hotel, but don't want a horrible place either. We typically like the smaller, boutique hotels (like Bucuti in Aruba). We would like to be on a beach/have beach access, and would like to be fairly central in location, since we plan on going to Hamilton, St. Georges and the Dockyard during the trip.

The Coco Reef Resort and Pompano Resort have caught my eye, but I know that Pompano is not really in a central location.

Also, we will not be renting mopeds since I had spine surgery this past fall.

Thanks!
Karen

cmcfong Jan 16th, 2007 07:28 AM

Coco Reef is a good choice. It is small and next door to Elbow Beach which has all the bells and whistles.
Fourways Inn, which is not beachfront but shares privileges with Coco Reef, is another possibility. It is very small, has an excellent on site restaurant, and is an easy walk to the ferry (my personal favorite form of public transportation). Pompano is a lovely place, but as you have already noted it is not centrally located. However they will run you down to the bus stop.
I ride the mopeds, but agree if you have had back issues they are not for you. I prefer the public transportation system in Bermuda to cabs, much cheaper and often more reliable.

janiekins Jan 16th, 2007 08:06 AM

My husband and I are staying at Pompano Beach Club in June. I have heard wonderful things about it.

kgwoz Jan 16th, 2007 09:36 AM

We have also heard that the Rosedon is supposed to be very nice, but it's not at the beach (I know they have taxi service through the Rosedon). Any thoughts on whether we should stay in Hamilton versus on the beach.

cmcfong Jan 16th, 2007 10:04 AM

The Rosedon is charming, but in my view not terribly romantic. It is more like Royal Palms which is also in Hamilton than the other two properties you mentioned.

Hamilton is a great location for shopping, bars and restaurants. You can easily catch the ferry or bus to Dockyards, St. Georges (the ferry there only runs seasonally but will be going during your visit) and Dockyards. You will have only a very limited view of the harbor from Rosedon and no view at all from Royal Palms.

During September the beach will be beautiful and not terribly crowded. If you are celebrating a romantic time, I think you will be happier outside of town. You can always get into town relatively easily if you want. Bermuda is not big.

Pompano is a wonderful resort and I hope nothing I said suggested otherwise. There are many beautiful places to stay in Bermuda but the Reefs, Pompano, Pink Beach, Cambridge Beaches are all very pricey. Coco Reef is more affordable and certainly well located.

I mentioned Fourways because it is very small (12 units) and has lovely gardens. It is a five minute walk to the ferry to Hamilton, five minute walk to the Bermuda Railway trail, five minutes to the grocery store. It is a short cab ride to Coco Reef beach with which guests have privileges or take the bus to the fabulous Horseshoe Bay. Breakfast is included in the rate. The breakfast is freshly baked pastries, juice, fresh fruit, and a huge pot of coffee or tea plus the newspaper served on fine china. It is delivered to your room. Each room has a complete kitchen. It is one of my favorite places to stay when my husband goes to Bermuda with me. You may want to check out the listings on www.bermudatourism.com
I love Bermuda and think it will be a wonderful place to celebrate your anniversary.

kgwoz Jan 17th, 2007 04:17 AM

Thanks for your help and advice. We'll probably stay at Coco Reef.

Caribgal2 Jan 19th, 2007 04:34 AM

We stayed at Coco Reef a couple of years ago. Was nice, had an enjoyable time.