Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which costs more? Cap Juluca or Firefly (Mustique)? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-costs-more-cap-juluca-or-firefly-mustique-641627/)

kkblake Aug 24th, 2006 11:09 AM

Which costs more? Cap Juluca or Firefly (Mustique)?

Rates at Firefly include all meals, so they are naturally higher, but I am wondering if we would spend just as much (or more) at Cap Juluca since the food tends to be pricey in the Caribbean.

If we went to CJ, we'd want to try out some of the best restaurants on Anguilla. What's the cost of an average lunch or dinner for 2? How about drinks?

I think we'd have a better sense of total cost at Firefly, but not sure on the cost of drinks. Does anybody know?

Thanks so much!

A_Traveller Aug 24th, 2006 11:55 AM

Drinks are going to be about the same at Firefly as they are at CJ and most upscale restaurants. Depending on the drink figure between $9 and $12 each. Wines by the bottle will be similarily priced.

As for dining on Anguilla, there's no such thing as an "average cost" since dining options are so varied. You can spend as little as $12US to $15U PP for lunch to as much as $150US++ PP for dinner. It will depend on where you eat. For instance, lunch at Silly Cay is quite expensive (we spent over $100 for 2 people) while a hamburger at Johnno's is something like $12).

There's an Anguilla website (sorry can't rember the url but you can google it) that has sample menus w/prices from quite a few of the restaurants on the island.

In my experience food costs at upscale resorts and dining establihments throughout the Caribbean rarely vary enough from island to island to make it much of a consideration in picking one sport over another. Whether or not food is included or "al a carte" makes no difference in the overall cost of any trip I've taken. If you are a "foodie" like I am you don't worry about cost - you are more concerned with quality.

kkblake Aug 24th, 2006 12:10 PM

Thanks for the tips -- those costs seem within reach. We are also foodies, so we want to make sure we can afford to eat at great restaurants (but I don't think we would want to spend in excess of $200 each night for dinner). :-)

ScubaMom Aug 24th, 2006 05:39 PM

Cap Juluca and Anguilla are a completely different experience from Firefly at Mustique! Are you looking for a large full service resort on a mid-sized island with great restaurants or a small intimate island and a small intimate inn experience?

You might read my review of Mustique and Firefly at http://www.scubamom.com/caribbean/

You won't find a review of Cap Juluca since we were there in the early 1990s and it was before I had a website, camera, and did reviews. But we LOVED that trip and truly Cap Juluca was one of the most romantic resorts we've ever visited.

But it was totally different from our stay at the Firefly.

kkblake Aug 25th, 2006 06:46 AM

That's good advice -- I wish we could be more decisive. We're really just looking for a wonderful, memorable experience. We LOVED our trips to the Four Seasons Maui and Jumby Bay. Those were two different experiences, but they fit our criteria. I want it to be romantic and luxurious with great food, beautiful beaches and good service.

Is CJ more luxurious than Firefly? Or just different?

A_Traveller Aug 25th, 2006 07:26 AM

CJ & Firefly are so very different it's hard to compare. Saying which one is more luxurious is not the issue. They are both very nice places. Think of Firefly as staying in someone's 5 bedroom upscale villa on a very small island that has nothing on it except other villas, one other small guest resort (Cotton House), one beach bar and a convenience store. Mustique is a VERY QUITE place. You should go there if you want to have a vacation where you do nothing but sit on a beach, swim and read and that has very limited dining opportunities. Again this island is essentiall all private villas.

CJ, on the other hand is a typical large upscale resort (not unlike 4S Maui & Jumby Bay - I personally think it's better than Jumby). It has all the amenities you'd expect from a major resort and the island offers you access to 35 different beaches, over 80 different restaurants and some light shopping.

You are considering two completely different types of vacation getaways.

sandyjoy Aug 25th, 2006 10:06 AM

KK, given what you loved in the past, I am going to venture a guess that probably Cap Jaluca is more your speed. Taking a step back, you liked Four Seasons Maui and Jumby Bay, I am guessing for as much the amenities as anything else. Go with your gut and Cap Jaluca.