Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which caribbean islands have great culture and little party-goers? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-caribbean-islands-have-great-culture-and-little-party-goers-536709/)

LKL Jun 14th, 2005 01:46 PM

Which caribbean islands have great culture and little party-goers?

I'd like to experience some local culture and not be engulfed by touristy resorts and young people just looking to party. I made the mistake of going to Cancun and experienced this. I would like to find a beautiful and peaceful island to explore, eat great foods, enjoy sunshine and swimming, and dive into the local culture. Any suggestions?

faithie Jun 14th, 2005 01:55 PM

Trinidad and Tobago , Dominica , Jamaica , St. lucia , St.Vincent and the Grenadines , the British Virgin Islands .....

faithie Jun 14th, 2005 01:58 PM

Your searching for the " Irie " factor !!!!!

LKL Jun 14th, 2005 02:00 PM

What's the "irie" factor?

Sunnyboy Jun 14th, 2005 02:11 PM

I know exactly what you mean about Cancun. I went there once and all I can say is "been there, done that, don't ever have to go again".

There are plenty of islands that meet your criteria. Use the search feature and check out recent posts about the following islands which offer a lot of what you are seeking:

Vieques, Culebra, Virgin Gorda, Tortola, Jost Van Dyke, Anguilla, St. Kitts, Nevis, St. Vincent, Bequia, Mayreau, Canouan, Union Island, Carriacou and St. Lucia. If you are looking for something really laid-back you might also want to look at some of the Bahamas Out-Islands (Exuma, Long Island, Cat Island, Eluthera or Abacco.

christiegr Jun 14th, 2005 02:25 PM

That is the kind of vacation that I am also seeking.Not anytime soon because I just returned from St John.

MIM04 Jun 14th, 2005 02:43 PM

LKL - Try Nevis very local, not Americanized at all. Friendly local people, lots of history and culture...

LKL Jun 14th, 2005 02:52 PM

Nevis may be what I'm looking for! Thanks MIM04!!

jray Jun 14th, 2005 03:06 PM

The irie factor can only be found in one place, Jamaica. While I am from Jamaica, I found the irie factor in Negril and rediscovered it at Lime Cay off Kingston.

xkenx Jun 14th, 2005 03:12 PM

Barbados fits the bill, formerly British, independent for 40 years, still carries a British, Afro, Caribbean culture. Lots of beaches, sightseeing, museums, history, some of the best restaurants anywhere. Lovely people.

faithie Jun 14th, 2005 04:09 PM

Da Irie factor be in Jamaica mon !!! And to some extent in the others I mentioned , " Trinni " has lots of Irie !!

MIM04 Jun 14th, 2005 04:47 PM

LKL - well please let me know if you have any questions about Nevis, I am happy to answer them. I just love it there, mostly because its so laid back and beautiful... plus I was there for 2 weeks in May and did not even see any type of fast food! lol. I cannot stand when I see Mcdonalds, etc, on the islands!

Knowing Jun 14th, 2005 06:35 PM

Jamaica meets your criteria perfectly. The other place that would also be what you are looking for,is Kauai. I know you said Caribbean, but depending on where you live and how much time you have it may also work.