Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Caribbean Islands (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/)
-   -   Which Caribbean Island would you recommend for New Year`s Eve? (https://www.fodors.com/community/caribbean-islands/which-caribbean-island-would-you-recommend-for-new-year-s-eve-945924/)

gpm Aug 7th, 2012 07:09 PM

Which Caribbean Island would you recommend for New Year`s Eve?

Hello,
We would like some information to help us decide in which of the Caribbean Islands we should plan to stay during New Year`s Day. We are a young couple (in our 30`s), who live in Brazil and plan to spend a week in one of the Caribbean islands and 10 days in Florida (probably Miami and the Key`s).
We would like: beautiful beaches, friendly atmosphere, some party during New Year`s Eve, small boutique -hotels; we would not like: big resorts, too much confusion and lots of traffic.
As we have never been to any of the caribbean islands before, we kindly ask for your advice to help us decide where to go.
Thanks a lot!
gpm

blamona Aug 7th, 2012 07:33 PM

Turks and Caicos sounds like it has your requirements.

New years eve is amazing there, beach BBQs and bonfires, and the best part, 12 mile beach with 6-8 different fireworks at the same time over the water in both directions, it's magical!

gpm Aug 8th, 2012 04:34 AM

Thanks, blamona!
My initial thoughts are:
- Saint Martin
- St Johns
- Turks and Caicos
- Curacao
- Grenade
- Anguilla

Any other inputs, please?

gpm Aug 8th, 2012 05:48 AM

Sorry, forgot to mention one: Barbados.

RoamsAround Aug 8th, 2012 06:18 AM

Personally, I really don't think New Years Eve is going to be appreciably different on any island. You'll find all kinds of celebrations no matter where you go.

Now, if you don't like traffic cross St. Martin off your list. Traffic on that island can be challenging any time of the year.

All of the other islands on your list will have what you are seeking. Since each of those islands have a different vibe and one is not necessarilly better than the other (they are just different) you should use the "Destinations" link at the top of this page, click through to the "Caribbean" and read the summaries of each island. Choose the one or two that most appeal to your senses. You can then investigate those in more detail to further narrow your choice - save the others for future trips. Remember there is no right or wrong island, just different islands.

RoamsAround Aug 8th, 2012 06:39 AM

A couple of other points, Christmas/New Years is peak time in the Caribbean so you are going to find the highest room rats of the year. Also, many resorts have minimum stay requirements so you may have to stay longer than a "week".

gpm Aug 8th, 2012 06:45 AM

Thank you, RoamsAround. I am aware of the high rates.
I was initially thinking in Saint Martin; however, I read a couple of comments on the challenging traffic. Could I stay in just one beach (eg, Orient Beach) and not having to rely on cars? Or this would not be a good option?

RoamsAround Aug 8th, 2012 09:12 AM

There is nothing to prevent you from staying on one beach (on any island) but the ramifications are obvious - you will limit yourself to only those places that are within a reasonable walking distance. There are so many interesting places around St. Martin that staying in one area would be doing yourself a disservice. Of course, only you can decide what is right for you.

BellaClaire Aug 8th, 2012 04:23 PM

St. Martin is a place to be explored.....Orient Beach is great...but you'll want to ride around...and it's so easy to do!

Odin Aug 8th, 2012 10:38 PM

I was going to suggest Barbados. It's a great island for a first time visit to the Caribbean.
We were in Guadeloupe for New Year few years back, it was very quiet where we were (Deshaies) but even this fishing village had fireworks. The livelier resorts on Grande-Terre would have had more going on.
You might also enjoy Negril, Jamaica but it's rather far north so the weather might not be warm enough, we were there in March last year and it was barely 25C however in Guadeloupe it was very hot during January.

juliestlucia1 Aug 9th, 2012 08:56 AM

According to me Saint Lucia is the best Caribbean island for the new year eve.Last year i was there and there were festivals everywhere people were on roads .Everything was exciting there .
You can get more information through "http://www.stlucia.cc"

WTR007 Nov 17th, 2012 08:31 AM

Negril not warm enough? laughable! its smack dab in the middle of the Caribbean.