Which Caribbean island is best for my family?

Old Apr 27th, 2016, 07:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which Caribbean island is best for my family?

My mother wants to go on a family vacation somewhere in the Caribbean, but my family has very different tastes. Which island do you recommend to make everyone happy?

My mother and sister like lounging at the beach and the pool all day. They love all-inclusive resorts where they can be pampered, so great resorts and beaches are a must. This would bore me to pieces.

My father and I are more adventurous. I would like an island that has an interesting city that is safe enough to explore in (if it were up to me, we would be going to a European city like Paris or Barcelona). I am also a photographer and would love to be able to add some great shots to my portfolio (landscapes and city/street photography).

Which Caribbean island do you recommend?
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 10:03 AM

I think Puerto Rico would be a great fit, especially if you stay in or near San Juan, since you'll have access to very nice beaches, resorts with excellent pools, a "city" vibe with great architecture, historical buildings, old fortresses, plenty of land and sea based activities, nearby rain forests to explore and much much more. Your mother and sister will have to give up staying at an "All Inclusive" since there are none in Puerto Rico but if you stay at. Full service resort or hotel they will be ample to get all the " pampering" they desire.

If going All Inclusive is a "must" look at resorts in The Dominican Republic, it the "All Inclusive" capital of the Caribbean. You'll also find lots of All Inclusives on Jamaica, Cozumel, in Cancun and Playa del Carmen ( but you may not find the "city" environment you are seeking on those islands).

For what it is worth there are no "cities" on most of the Caribbean islands, instead, their populated areas are more like small towns.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 10:32 AM
Original Poster

Thanks! Would you recommend any of the French islands (Marinique, Guadeloupe, St. Martin, or St. Barts)? I speak French and am interested in French culture (I have been to Paris), so I would be interested in going to another part of France as well.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 11:07 AM

No big cities on any of those islands.

St Bart's has a very French vibe, lots of great restaurants, sophisticated shopping, nice beaches and plenty of water sports. Island also had a very high end feel with prices to match. There are a number of very high end resorts where your mother & sister can get the pampering they crave. Not 100% sure but I don't think you'll find any All Inclusive resorts on the island - too many great restaurants available so you don't want to confine yourself to one resort. No real "history" - it is an island that caters to the rich and famous. Holly but arid island. Somewhat difficult to reach as you first have to fly to St. Martin then fly or ferry to St. Bart's.

St. Martin has both a French side and Dutch side. Very busy island - lots of cruise ships & traffic. Plenty of restaurants and no All Inclusives. Not much in the way of "history or great architecture. Think of it as a St. Bart's for the everyman. Easy non-stop access from many US East Coast International airport and some Euopean countries.

Guadalupe is a bigger island and "very French" so your language skills will get quite a workout. Not a lot of upscale properties but plenty of mud- range hotels/resorts. Good beaches. Mostly European visitors. No direct access from US.

Can't comment on Martinique as I haven't been there but it has a heavy French influence. More arid and flatter than Guadalupe.
Old Apr 27th, 2016, 05:25 PM

Whoa! I can't believe I've been to Martinique and RoamsAround hasn't!!

In the south of Martinique, there are some beautiful white sand beaches (see Ste. Anne) They used to have a Club Med, not sure if there are any other all-inclusives. (French food is too good for AIs!) The north has St. Pierre, home of Mount Pelee (see volcanic eruption 1902). There is also a banana plantation/arboretum. But definitely need to have some French fluency!