Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Caribbean Islands
Reload this Page >

Which Caribbean beach is most shallow (in depth) from shore?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 06:28 AM
maggie

Have only been to Bermuda -- first timer to Carib. Am looking into Anguilla (Cap Juluca), but need to know if its beach is as shallow as say (Pompano Beach Club) in Bermuda.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 01:11 PM
Eddy

Baby Beach is shallow only it is in Aruba and there are no resorts on the beach..so you would have to take a 30 minute ride from the resort area..

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 02:43 PM
Kristin

Can you tell me more about Bermuda? Did you like it? I am staying at the Sonesta. Where did you eat? I heard it is very expensive.

Old Feb 15th, 2001, 03:40 PM
penny

Maggie-You will have no problem at Maundays Bay or Cove Bay at Cap Juluca. I dislike to go over my head and enjoy this beach very much. I am not familiar with Pompano but I know the South Rd. beaches in Bermudas very well. You should not have a problem. Enjoy!

Old Feb 16th, 2001, 11:02 AM
Maggie

Hi Kristen! <BR> <BR>Thanks for your response. I'll try to answer you question (short of a novella). <BR> <BR>Bermuda was our choice for a sun vacation just 2 years ago, and we've returned each year since then, sending my in-laws on an anniversary trip. Little did we know that the small island of Bermuda was not in the so-called Caribbean belt, hence -- it's summers and winters follow the seasons as if we were on the mainland. <BR> <BR>I recommend Bermuda if you enjoy British culture and need to get away quickly (only a short 2 1/2 hour flight from JFK) very convenient for us -- don't know where you'll be departing. Bermuda actually has something for everyone: LARGE resorts, e.g. The Fairmont Southampton Princess (way too big for our taste; almost tacky -- too many guests) to cottage colonies, like Michael Douglas' Ariel Sands, though the beach on the property is not of the best "Bermuda" kind. I would recommend looking at Cambridge Cottages and Pompano Beach Club if you want privacy, smaller hotels, and the so-called "pink" beach experience -- the sand really is PINK, at least in the summertime. Try looking up their website(s) or try www.bermudatourism.com <BR> <BR>That should get you started. <BR> <BR>Good Luck! I'll check up on you later if you post a reply. Happy planning!